SiouxSports.com Forum

Softball

Skillet

• 1 month later...

Jordan Stevens named head coach of UND softball

Athletics Director Brian Faison announced Monday that Jordan Stevens has been named the head softball coach at the University of North Dakota. Stevens officially begins his duties today.

Stevens spent the previous four seasons as head coach at Valparaiso, where he guided the Crusaders to consecutive NCAA tournament appearances in 2012 and 2013. In his four years at the helm, Stevens posted a 131-96-1 record, as his teams never finished lower than third in either the regular season or conference tournament.

Interesting. On the surface, seems like a very very good hire. A head coach from a Division I program with multiple trips to the tourney in the last few years is taking the UND head coaching job instead of some mere assistant coach from an up and coming program, which is often the case with these kind of situations at UND. Lots of work to do. But this looks like a good start.

I'm a Valpo fan. Honestly, no one at Valpo truly knows the reason that Jordan Stevens left Valpo so suddenly except our AD, Mark La barbera and Stevens, I believe. I really hope Jordan has learned whatever lesson that he needed to learn. He has the ability to be a great softball coach. The only real knowledge I have of the situation is I heard he favored a player over another player that it was obvious that he should not have favored due to poor on field production.

• 4 months later...