SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

As hard as this is to say, I will be voting to retire the Sioux name. It is now necessary to do this, the NCAA will not budge, and life as an independent is a will eventually lead to the NAIA.

I will still be wearing my Sioux jersey and gear proudly to games.

• Upvote 1

& a lot can live with those sanctions & fear of sanctions because our name in UND FIGHTING SIOUX & we have done nothing wrong except let many of you & UND Admin. & SBOHE & the AG screw this up

YOU don't have to live with the sanctions. They don't affect your life in any way. They do affect the athletic program. They make it harder to recruit, and will cause UND to lose some top recruits in all sports. The sanctions will make it harder to win, because you can't bring in the best recruits. Even if you find a way to win enough to make the playoffs, winning in the playoffs will be much harder because you don't get to play at home. Notice the FCS playoffs this year, the 2 teams that went to National Title game won all of their games at home. The sanctions don't affect your personal life in any way, but they do affect the lives of the players, coaches and staff. It is selfish to put your personal feelings over what is best for the total organization.

The NCAA had all of the cards in this battle. UND needed a miracle to win starting from the policy announcement in 2005. It is time to get over your hurt feelings and move on like adults.

• Upvote 3

"They make it harder to recruit, and will cause UND to lose some top recruits in all sports. The sanctions will make it harder to win, because you can't bring in the best recruits. Even if you find a way to win enough to make the playoffs, winning in the playoffs will be much harder because you don't get to play at home. Notice the FCS playoffs this year, the 2 teams that went to National Title game won all of their games at home. The sanctions don't affect your personal life in any way, but they do affect the lives of the players, coaches and staff. It is selfish to put your personal feelings over what is best for the total organization."

NO real proof of that I think there are as many that will admire UND & GF & ND for standing up for what is Right

Try to come up with something new or proof other wise it's just still hear say from Fear

I'm a Sioux Hockey fan & proud to support Ralph Engelstads wishes

And you have just proved that you only care about Fighting Sioux mens hockey and not any other sport at UND. The sanctions affect the mens hockey team very little. But they affect the other sports a great deal. So while there are a lot of "hockey only" fans out there like you that only care about the fighting sioux hockey jersey, there are more University of North Dakota fans that care more about the entire atheletic department than just one sport.

• Upvote 2

"life as an independent is a will eventually lead to the NAIA" That is Pure BS & Fear Tactics

Just because you don't believe something, doesn't mean that its not true. I will agree with you on everything that you say when you can prove to me that you have never been wrong about anything, EVER!!

"They make it harder to recruit, and will cause UND to lose some top recruits in all sports. The sanctions will make it harder to win, because you can't bring in the best recruits. Even if you find a way to win enough to make the playoffs, winning in the playoffs will be much harder because you don't get to play at home. Notice the FCS playoffs this year, the 2 teams that went to National Title game won all of their games at home. The sanctions don't affect your personal life in any way, but they do affect the lives of the players, coaches and staff. It is selfish to put your personal feelings over what is best for the total organization."

NO real proof of that I think there are as many that will admire UND & GF & ND for standing up for what is Right

Lennon talked to recruits that stopped considering UND because of the sanctions, and UND wasn't on sanctions yet. That is just the beginning. And that is proof that it will happen more in the future. The winning percentage for home teams in the playoffs is much higher than for visiting teams in every sport. That is proof that the chances of success will decrease because of the sanctions. And high school/college athletes aren't going to make some political stand, they are going to go where they have the best chance of being successful. Besides, none of them are going to take the time to understand the situation. They will hear the word "sanctions" from other recruiters and they will look at other options. UND will be left with the people that don't have other options.

No one has - But in this case I'm not wrong & it is sad your effort to lead folks to believe all the Fear

Vote no - then if it happens (all your Fear) have your own referal vote to remove the name once & for all

I'd say after a few years a vast majority will say - SURE Glad we held strong on the name

Recruits don't choose a school to make a political statement. They choose a school where they can win, get noticed (professional path), or get a good education. You wouldn't know about any of that because you have never chosen a school or played an organized sport.

• Upvote 1

most do it for love of their sport & scholarship & where they may get to play - Good Recruiters will get them to come here for those reasons & our facilities

I have known plenty of Athletes here & played sports

There was no personal attack.

No one was called a {bleep} or anything of the sort.

And I frequently have other moderators look at threads I'm involved in.

(There's a whole moderation forum on this board that only moderators can see where we track and monitor everyone, including each other.)

I have known plenty of Athletes here & played sports

How long ago did they play at UND? Where were they from originally? What other schools offered them scholarships to play? Was UND under sanctions at the time? Is their first name Frank?

Not as much as the rest of us wanting to keep the name - Hockey Fans will travel or watch on TV = worth Keeping the name

What post is this directed at?

Regardless, a true fan will follow the team with or without the name.

Not as much as the rest of us wanting to keep the name - Hockey Fans will travel or watch on TV = worth Keeping the name

And again you are willing to throw the other 400 student athletes from UND under the bus, just so you can see the men's hockey team wear your beloved nickname and logo. Yet you still can't understand that even hockey will be affected in upcoming years. Like when Minnesota and Wisconsin will no longer play UND. And if other schools follow their lead. Or possibly if they change the hockey playoffs and have the first round played on campus again (something they have started considering) and UND wouldn't be able to host.

Some quotes from Dave Hakstol's press conference back in February:

" ... insurmountable challenges for some of our programs ... "

"I don't see any way that the University of North Dakota can become a fully successful Division I entity across all sports if we continue to mandate by law the use of the 'Fighting Sioux'. Simply put, in my opinion, it will likely diminish our hockey program over time, possibly slowly over time, but also in my opinion, I think it would be extremely damaging to all of the other sports on our campus in the future."

Some quotes from Dave Hakstol's press conference back in February:

" ... insurmountable challenges for some of our programs ... "

"I don't see any way that the University of North Dakota can become a fully successful Division I entity across all sports if we continue to mandate by law the use of the 'Fighting Sioux'. Simply put, in my opinion, it will likely diminish our hockey program over time, possibly slowly over time, but also in my opinion, I think it would be extremely damaging to all of the other sports on our campus in the future."

You forgot to highlight the "in my opinion" part of the statement.

Then D1 was a HUGE Mistake

As I said in the other thread, Division I has nothing to do with the issue. It is across the NCAA. The NCAA has Division I, Division II, and Division III. The same rule applies to all 3 divisions. Schools at all 3 levels were forced to change their names, and schools at all levels were able to get approval from local tribes to keep their name. The move to Division I had no effect on the nickname issue.
  • Upvote 1