SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013

gfhockey

Yeah, they really suffer from lack of a strong point guard and their attempts at breaking the half-court were often ridiculous. When they actually got into their set offense, things went well. But then too many were slow-footed back in transition and they gave away far too many easy layups. Also too slow rotating either in zone or man defense and closing out on the three point shooter for Sac.

I do have to say that out of the three point guards I saw last night (Williams, Mills, Burck), Burck was the one that gave us the most on the floor. She played good defense for the most part and actually presented an outside threat to shoot. Whenever Williams or Mills are in, I never think they will take a shot and neither does most defenses, allowing their defender to sag.

Last night, Jones should take some notes from Brewster on how to get shooters open. The plays Brewster runs to get Lauck open shooting space are very nicely designed and run. Jones should take notes and start mirroring some of them for Schuler.

The struggles of the women's team this season is a bit surprising to me. I didn't expect them to be world beaters, but I figured they'd easily be a top 5 Big Sky team. Currently they are sitting tied for 8th place, and have lost 6 of their last 8 games. They have 5 of their last 8 games at home so that helps, but four of those are also against the top 4 teams in the conference.

To be fair, unlike on the men's side, the Big Sky is probably considered a legit mid-major women's basketball conference. Currently the conference is #15 in RPI. That is a huge step up from the GWC which was always 31 or 32, but still I figured our ladies would at least be a .500 team this year.

Of course having a healthy Wall all season would have helped, but injuries happen to every team.