SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013

gfhockey

Rumor has it that Brew has pulled scholarships of some of the players that are currently on the team that have played/currently red shirting. Doesn't sound like a good situation to me. Pissed off a lot of players.

Which players do the rumors say are affected?

They won't be missed. Didn't want to work, just wanted the glory of wearing the jersey and posing in the team picture. We all know when this team played anyone out of their conference they didn't have enough talent to win. Going to the Big Sky, we need to upgrade the talent and a coach needs scholarships to get that done.

They won't be missed. Didn't want to work, just wanted the glory of wearing the jersey and posing in the team picture. We all know when this team played anyone out of their conference they didn't have enough talent to win. Going to the Big Sky, we need to upgrade the talent and a coach needs scholarships to get that done.

You have inside information on this or just feel like being opinionated?

I am a little surprised that Brewster feels there is a need to "houseclean" the women's program. I would argue that the women's program has handled the transition better than the men's program has. And Roebuck didn't seem like the type of coach who would put up with any nonsense from anyone. I find it hard to believe that any lazy players would be allowed on the team in the first place. I suppose it's possible that Roebuck had lost some of his fire and had started to let some things go. I think going with a younger, more energetic coach will benefit the program in the long-term.

I am a little surprised that Brewster feels there is a need to "houseclean" the women's program. I would argue that the women's program has handled the transition better than the men's program has. And Roebuck didn't seem like the type of coach who would put up with any nonsense from anyone. I find it hard to believe that any lazy players would be allowed on the team in the first place. I suppose it's possible that Roebuck had lost some of his fire and had started to let some things go. I think going with a younger, more energetic coach will benefit the program in the long-term.

You don't hear of too many players getting cut during the season except if there were legal issues, etc. so it makes sense that if the players displayed lack of effort during the year or whatever the reason was, this is time that it is usually done. Coach Brewster is the coach now so I'm sure that is why he made the decision - not Roebuck. So - I think it is really unfair to say that Coach Roebuck lost some of his fire - evidently you didn't go to many games as it looked like he was the same right up to the end. In fact, the picture I saw in the GF Herald tells the story - competitive as ever.

You don't hear of too many players getting cut during the season except if there were legal issues, etc. so it makes sense that if the players displayed lack of effort during the year or whatever the reason was, this is time that it is usually done. Coach Brewster is the coach now so I'm sure that is why he made the decision - not Roebuck. So - I think it is really unfair to say that Coach Roebuck lost some of his fire - evidently you didn't go to many games as it looked like he was the same right up to the end. In fact, the picture I saw in the GF Herald tells the story - competitive as ever.

I am just surprised that lazy and/or uninspired players would even get on the team; Roebuck was big on work ethic. And Roebuck had mellowed some over the years, he was more philisophical about losses than he was when he first came to UND. But I think he always cared about work ethic and doing things the right way.

• 2 weeks later...

Frydenlund and Roehrich have left the team: http://www.grandfork...7/group/Sports/

This seems odd if it is the "housecleaning" that was mentioned last week. Don't know too many kids that are coach's kids that are lazy, let alone kids that have both parents as coaches, as well as the mom being one of the most decorated players in UND history. Also don't hear too often about redshirts leaving being "housecleaning". Must be more to it.

This seems odd if it is the "housecleaning" that was mentioned last week. Don't know too many kids that are coach's kids that are lazy, let alone kids that have both parents as coaches, as well as the mom being one of the most decorated players in UND history. Also don't hear too often about redshirts leaving being "housecleaning". Must be more to it.

She was treated very poorly by the coaches. Her attitude could've been an issue but I can't imagine it being a work ethic thing either. She was released but I wonder if she wouldn't have left on own anyways. Actually surprised she lasted the season.

She was treated very poorly by the coaches. Her attitude could've been an issue but I can't imagine it being a work ethic thing either. She was released but I wonder if she wouldn't have left on own anyways. Actually surprised she lasted the season.

Agree. She really was never happy there. Can't speak to her being treated "poorly" by coaches but I know going back to last summer was never really engaged with the programs expectations for work and working out................sometimes kids just wear out. She played a lot of ball growing up and maybe the college environment wasn't for her. They are still only 18 year old kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Coach Brewster has filled another Assistant Coaching position.

http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

Welcome coach Linda...not even going to attempt the last name!

Anyone know how many more Assistants he's going to hire?

I wonder how Brew got her away from Drake - her alma mater. She was Iowa's 4A Player of the Year and Miss BB after her senior season. She then went to Drake and was a three-time All-MVC selection. She was elected into the Iowa HS Hall of Fame a couple of months ago.

After assisting at Drake, it is surprising she would leave "home" to take a similar position at UND. Anyway, congrats to Brew on getting her. You would think she will certainly help with our recruiting efforts in her home state.

We've hired 2 new assts. and Danye is still coming as an asst How many asst. coaches can we carry? Someone has to be leaving

A total of four coaches are allowed for women's basketball(including head). Non-coaching positions like director of basketball operations do not count toward that total.

Does anyone know about this?

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/23536406252/tuesday-tidbits

I can't fatham a reason that we haven't played SDSU in women's hoops...I just have a hard time thinking we said NO

TV still cheerleads for the Scream Yellow folks from his new digs in Sioux Falls. Him taking subtle shots at UND is old hat. Wouldn't stress about it.

Duting transition I can't imagine Roebuck would of turned down playing SDSU. It could be there is something else going on. Didn't SDSU just come out with a statement that they won't schedule any new games with UND until our Nickname issue is behind us. It is kind of a mute point anyway now.