SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

Never noticed that...almost makes you wonder if it was a mistake.

That is the official name of the building. UND doesn't own the building, the Engelstad Trust owns the building. It may or may not go away when the nickname is retired. That will be up to the Engelstad Trust.

Just noticed that I responded to the wrong person, this was in reference to the earlier comment about the name. As far as having both names face the press box, that may or may not be a mistake. I have seen that done in other places also, it may just be a choice.

Edited by 82SiouxGuy

Not that it's a big deal or anything, but is it normal for both "Betty Engelstad Sioux Center" logos to be facing the same direction? I realize they both face the press box this way, but I figured they'd want the one on the far side to face the crowd on that side. All things considered I think the floor looks pretty nice though....

The old floor's lettering faced the exact same direction for both sides. " Betty Engelstad" was in the upper left hand corner and the "Sioux Center" was in the lower right hand corner facing the press box and tv camera's. It is strange being that both sides say the same thing that it faces the same direction on the new floor.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2012/05/01/weber-state-utah-state-big-sky-updating-logos-enhance-image

The Big Sky Conference, where Weber State resides, is working on a new brand of its own to represent its identity as expands in July from a nine-team conference to 11 in all sports and 13 in football. The logo is likely to be unveiled around the league’s football media days in Park City on July 15-17.

Will the BigSky logos in the paint have to change?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.standard....s-enhance-image

Will the BigSky logos in the paint have to change?

Weber State just came out with thier brand new athletics logo, and I remember hearing that they were going to resurface thier basketball court with the new image, I havent heard anything about it yet, but I have a feeling that Weber is waiting for the new Big Sky logo to come out before they figure out a design.

I am a little suprised that UND didnt wait till the new logo came out, but Im sure it's not a too difficult thing to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

The talent seems to be there - nice job of filling some holes. Now, I think the main difference-maker will be if coach can run the team, or if the players who want to "showcase" themselves get control. If these guys can play together like, say a Dave Gunther coached team, the sky is the limit. In my opinion, Coach Jones has some work to do in this regard.

That was last year, let's move forward. Positive thoughts!

I agree it's a new year, but I think it will take more than wishful thinking. I think it will take some active intervention from the coaching staff. I didn't see a lot of that the past 2 years. We are talented, lets see how far teamwork takes us.

I agree it's a new year, but I think it will take more than wishful thinking. I think it will take some active intervention from the coaching staff. I didn't see a lot of that the past 2 years. We are talented, lets see how far teamwork takes us.

I believe the difference between this upcoming year and the past couple of years is we will now have solid backups in every position. If a player gets out of control it will be very easy for the coaches to go to the bench and bring in someone just as talented as the starters. This is a luxory we have not had. Once this starts happening the message will clearly be sent to the player as he sits on the bench and watches the others play as a team.

If the transfers pan out, it makes this team much deeper than it was a year ago...........

Agree 100%. In fact our second team could look like this. Antwi at the 1, Schuler at the 2, Nash at the 3, Traylor or Allard at the 4 and Salmonson at the 5. This team can give the starters all they want and even possibly beat them. Depth will not be an issue at all this year. It will be a difficult task for the coaches to make everyone happy with playing time. Should be interesting.

You people continue to amaze me. Must be a North Dakotat thing. Here we got some "good" players coming in, that we never seen play, and we feel it's necessary to just make it seem like our starters have this huge task to compete with these guys. I'm hoping these guys are good to help assist the starters,but let's not for one second this group will over shadow the starters. They will add to our success how about that instead

I think most of us agree that our "Fab 5" are pretty good. these guys have already had some accomplishments under their belt (2 Great West tournament championships, wins against tournament teams, etc). So these guys are felling pretty confident. Most of us will also agree that these guys can sometimes get a little cocky. Huff being the worst. These guys know they are the best players on the team, and rightfully so. I guess the reason why most of us are excited about these recruits coming in is they will not only provide stability to our bench and be able to come off the bench and produce, but it will motivate the starters because they will see that these guys coming in are just as good. At least that is our hope. Our starters are good. But don't think for a second that if one of these transfers starts to play really well, they won't get more playing time, and maybe even start.

I think most of us agree that our "Fab 5" are pretty good. these guys have already had some accomplishments under their belt (2 Great West tournament championships, wins against tournament teams, etc). So these guys are felling pretty confident. Most of us will also agree that these guys can sometimes get a little cocky. Huff being the worst. These guys know they are the best players on the team, and rightfully so. I guess the reason why most of us are excited about these recruits coming in is they will not only provide stability to our bench and be able to come off the bench and produce, but it will motivate the starters because they will see that these guys coming in are just as good. At least that is our hope. Our starters are good. But don't think for a second that if one of these transfers starts to play really well, they won't get more playing time, and maybe even start.

I'll admit to being old school on Sioux Basketball - maybe when you are on the lower end of DI the better talent comes with a price or they would have gone elsewhere - however the "If I don't get the ball more I'm not going to play defense" attitude drives me nuts - as does continually launching 3's when you can't make any. In my opinion, coach Jones needs to run this team, not the other way around. If he can't stand tall, expect a very uneven season that will be frustrating. Sorry, but I grew up watching Dave Gunther's finely tuned machines - he took crap from no player and had some great ones. I am concerned about the overall attitude of Sioux basketball.

You people continue to amaze me. Must be a North Dakotat thing. Here we got some "good" players coming in, that we never seen play, and we feel it's necessary to just make it seem like our starters have this huge task to compete with these guys. I'm hoping these guys are good to help assist the starters,but let's not for one second this group will over shadow the starters. They will add to our success how about that instead

I don't think one of the players coming in necessarily has to be a better player than one of the starters to get the nod. If they can come in and play better within the system and make those around them better, the overall quality of play of the 5 on the floor will increase. Even if the overall talent level isn't as high. Bottom line is we will have to wait until the season starts to see how good these players truely are and how it affects the lineup.

I don't think one of the players coming in necessarily has to be a better player than one of the starters to get the nod. If they can come in and play better within the system and make those around them better, the overall quality of play of the 5 on the floor will increase. Even if the overall talent level isn't as high. Bottom line is we will have to wait until the season starts to see how good these players truely are and how it affects the lineup.

Excellent post. 5 average players playing as 1 will generally beat 5 great players playing as individuals. We will be very solid no matter what happens with the addition of the new players and the experience and talent of the 5 soon to be juniors.

I get the feel that we will see a dramatic turn around with our overall record this year as well....I get the feeling that we will go dancing this season. I don't want to get ahead but I feel like the improvement will be there. I think Huff will mature, I think Webb will limit the turnovers, I think Anderson will continue improving his hard work , I think Shuler will bring that confidence back, and I think Antwi and Allard will give us solid minutes with more confidence. Not sure I looked forward to a season as much as this one.