SiouxSports.com Forum

Power of the Sioux Name and Logo

Rick

UND has to protect the logo, it doesn't make them bad, it's the way copyright laws work - same reason Disney has to shut down daycares that use Disney icons without permission. If you don't protect it in all instances you lose control of it.

I know ... you're preaching to the preacher on this one. I'm with ya.

Tonight in the grocery store in Fergus Falls they had UND green and white tortilla chips from www.teamsnacks.com, They were very impressive in the UND colors. However, the sale sign on the shelf identified them as NDSU "Sioux" tortilla chips. I brought a bag to the checkout and informed them that it was NDSU Bison and UND Sioux (I didn't even get into the fact that they are no longer officially Sioux). They even rang up on the cash register as NDSU Sioux. After I had the name thing cleared up, the woman commented "well at least they were on the shelf next to the Minnesota Gopher chips." I told that she wasn't helping things.

Pretty sure I don't want to taste a 'Gopher chip'...:)

I know ... you're preaching to the preacher on this one. I'm with ya.

So it UND doesn't protect it, other teams will use it? How does that hurt UND? It's a beautifully designed logo and I cant blame other teams for wanting to use it...what's the downside?

So it UND doesn't protect it, other teams will use it? How does that hurt UND? It's a beautifully designed logo and I cant blame other teams for wanting to use it...what's the downside?

The reason you normally trademark something is to maintain control of your brand's image and ensure that you benefit from its use. For example, UND wants trademarks on its active logos so it can guarantee it gets a share of the profits from any merchandise sold with the logo. If UND didn't consistently defend its intellectual property, including stopping high schools from using it, some worry that it would then be more difficult for UND to stop a rogue jersey manufacturer from selling Sioux jerseys without paying a licensing fee to UND.

In UND's case with the retired logo it's a little different. UND isn't actively merchandising the Sioux logo anymore, but promised the NCAA that they would continue to actively defend the Fighting Sioux intellectual property as part of the settlement agreement. My guess, as mentioned above, is that the NCAA didn't want UND to continue to informally or unofficially use the logo by letting non-UND entities perpetuate it.

Yes it was stated in the press that while the NCAA does not want UND to use the Sioux logo or name they want UND to protect it so that no one else can use it. Discussion were on creating a retro shirt once a year and selling it, etc.

That means UND could use it once in a while...could we be like the NFL and have throwback uniforms? It won't mean much for football but have Sioux or the logo in basketball and hockey.

That means UND could use it once in a while...could we be like the NFL and have throwback uniforms? It won't mean much for football but have Sioux or the logo in basketball and hockey.

I always wondered why the Siouxshop didn't sell throwback Sioux jerseys from the "black hawk logo" era. I think they would probably sell as many of those as the new ones!! Unless the Blackhawks have exclusive rights to that logo...but we used it before, I wonder how that works. Wish we could have worn some throwback black hawk style sweaters last year to commemorate the '87 Championship team (One of the greatest college hockey teams of all time).

• Upvote 1

I always wondered why the Siouxshop didn't sell throwback Sioux jerseys from the "black hawk logo" era. I think they would probably sell as many of those as the new ones!! Unless the Blackhawks have exclusive rights to that logo...but we used it before, I wonder how that works. Wish we could have worn some throwback black hawk style sweaters last year to commemorate the '87 Championship team (One of the greatest college hockey teams of all time).

I agree I would've loved to get a Blackhawk jersey, with the tomahawks crossing the S on the sleeve, it was so sharp. They should bring that back for a throwback game.

• Upvote 1

Seeing that too. Very cool in downtown Atlanta. UND admin would probably crap if they saw it.

Washington State there too.

Wash St. always there. Have been for like a decade. Can't remember how long for sure but the Gameday guys referenced it last year. It's like 2 or 3 three guys that bring the flag.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree I would've loved to get a Blackhawk jersey, with the tomahawks crossing the S on the sleeve, it was so sharp. They should bring that back for a throwback game.

The logo belongs to the 'Hawks and is copyright protected. That's why we had to stop using it.

At the biggest golf party of them all - the 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale. Of course there's a guy with a Sioux jersey.

(At 1:19 or so...)

Is that a Bison fan next to the guy with the Minnesota North Stars Jersey? The Sioux jersey looks cool next to the Warren Moon jersey.