SiouxSports.com Forum

Power of the Sioux Name and Logo

Rick

We were walking through the Mall of America yesterday and as we passed the "Field of Dreams" store I noticed there was a Sioux Hand Bag in the display window along with hand bags for the New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos, Illinois, New England Patriots, etc.

2012-03-14_15-36-38_294.jpg

2012-03-14_15-37-04_208.jpg

I'd never been in the store before so I went in to check it out. In addition to the hand bags, I noticed there were some Sioux pennants hanging from the walls along with Illinois, Texas A&M, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State, Texas, Florida State, USC, etc. Most of the Big-Time college programs and Pro Teams were there.

2012-03-14_15-41-00_450.jpg

Out of all the pro and college teams they had merchandise for I was surprised that I couldn't find any North Dakota State Bison stuff. I figured surely a Mall of America store would be capitalizing on the fame NDSU has garnered with their recent success in football.

There are two possible senario's here:

1) either there's been a huge run on the Hurd merchandise and their pennants and hand bags are on back order

or

2) nobody cares about NDSU and their FCS football championship

We were walking through the Mall of America yesterday and as we passed the "Field of Dreams" store I noticed there was a Sioux Hand Bag in the display window along with hand bags for the New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos, Illinois, New England Patriots, etc.

http://i1155.photobu...5-36-38_294.jpg

http://i1155.photobu...5-37-04_208.jpg

I'd never been in the store before so I went in to check it out. In addition to the hand bags, I noticed there were some Sioux pennants hanging from the walls along with Illinois, Texas A&M, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State, Texas, Florida State, USC, etc. Most of the Big-Time college programs and Pro Teams were there.

http://i1155.photobu...5-41-00_450.jpg

Out of all the pro and college teams they had merchandise for I was surprised that I couldn't find any North Dakota State Bison stuff. I figured surely a Mall of America store would be capitalizing on the fame NDSU has garnered with their recent success in football.

1) either there's been a huge run on the Hurd merchandise and their pennants and hand bags are on back order

or

I'll go with option 2. Because yes, nobody cares about NDSU outside of Fargo. Fact!

• Upvote 2

http://i1155.photobu...5-36-38_294.jpg

http://i1155.photobu...5-37-04_208.jpg

http://i1155.photobu...5-41-00_450.jpg

or

Or 3. With UND in the Final Five across the river in St. Paul they know a lot more UND fans will be strolling through the mall. I do like option 2. ;)

Or 3. With UND in the Final Five across the river in St. Paul they know a lot more UND fans will be strolling through the mall. I do like option 2. ;)

I still like option 3) That nobody outside of Fargo likes or cares about NDSU. It's seriously the truth. Born and raised in North Dakota. Sometime the truth hurts Bison Dan. Maybe if NDSU didn't have such ugly colors :lol:

• Upvote 2

There is always a lot of Sioux gear at both Field of Dreams and the College Shop. Staff at the College Shop have told me that Sioux gear is there second biggest seller, so sorry bison fans Sioux gear is a bigger seller then bison stuff.

• Upvote 3

I live in Dallas. Funny, I never see any Sioux gear anywhere in town. Did see a lot of people wearing Bison gear last January...

What's even funnier is that when I'm in Nashville I run into people all the time wearing Sioux gear. I noticed the same thing when in Las Vegas and Chicago. I have never once seen anybody wear NDSU apparel.

This. I have noticed that come Final 5 time, several stores put Sioux stuff in the window because they know a lot of Sioux fans will be in the area.

Wrong X 100 if you're specifically talking about the MOA. I live in Bloomington and have been to the MOA hundreds of times. The College Shop and Field of Dreams ALWAYS prominently display Sioux items in their window displays and have for years.

• Upvote 1

I live in Dallas. Funny, I never see any Sioux gear anywhere in town. Did see a lot of people wearing Bison gear last January...

So for 2 days while the Bison were in town to play a football game you saw Bison gear. Great example. :silly:

In a related story: I was in Fresno early last fall and saw a bunch of Sioux gear.

• Upvote 2

What's even funnier is that when I'm in Nashville I run into people all the time wearing Sioux gear. I noticed the same thing when in Las Vegas and Chicago. I have never once seen anybody wear NDSU apparel.

Really you see it in Las Vegas? I have spent a month or more every year in Vegas for the last 12 year and have never once seen any Sioux gear.

Really you see it in Las Vegas? I have spent a month or more every year in Vegas for the last 12 year and have never once seen any Sioux gear.

Minor story: I was in Vegas about 4 months ago and the TSA Agent noticed the logo on my shirt and asked me if we figured that "name thing" out yet. Then he used a couple explitives about how dumb it was.

I've seen someone wearing Sioux gear on the Strip the last 2 times in Vegas.

So for 2 days while the Bison were in town to play a football game you saw Bison gear. Great example. :silly:

In a related story: I was in Fresno early last fall and saw a bunch of Sioux gear.

Naw,

He's talking about the Bison fans that didn't learn how to read a map. The ones that were stuck near the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport in awe of the big city without a clue of how to get to the soccer stadium for their big game.

Seems there must have been a LOT of them! :lol:

I do remember walking down the beach in a town south of Puerto Vallarta. Coming toward me was a guy with a NDSU Bison t-shirt. I had on a UND Sioux t-shirt. We both smiled and he said, of course, "Sioux suc#!" I said, "Bison blo#". We never even stopped to talk, we both just laughed and kept walking by each other.

That still makes me smile. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Funny, I live in Dallas too and I am always wearing Sioux gear. I have a lot of people come up to me and talk about UND too. I was even wearing my Sioux gear at the NDSU football game in Frisco.

I do remember walking down the beach in a town south of Puerto Vallarta. Coming toward me was a guy with a NDSU Bison t-shirt. I had on a UND Sioux t-shirt. We both smiled and he said, of course, "Sioux suc#!" I said, "Bison blo#". We never even stopped to talk, we both just laughed and kept walking by each other.

That still makes me smile. :lol:

Must have been Lakes. ;)

I had tickets to a LA Kings game at the Staples Center sometime in March 2010. Being my seat was 16 rows from the ice in one end, I figured I'd show some Sioux pride, especially since Matt Greene would be on the ice. The Kings were in my end during warm-ups, so I stood tall with my Sioux jersey on. I didn't get any recognition from Greene, but I was pretty sure he saw it. Regardless, within the first 5 minutes of walking through Staples Center, I heard 4 people give a shout out to me and the logo. Got a "Go Sioux!" as well as a "Nice jersey!" It was a pretty cool feeling!

There was another time when I wore my throwback jersey with the Blackhawk logo on it, but all that did was cause confusion and lead to lengthy explanations. I was working on cruise ships and wore my jersey to the crew bar. Several of the Canadian folk approached me and said, "I didn't know you were a Blackhawks fan?!" I was like, well, yeah, I guess I kind of am because of Toews, but this isn't a Blackhawks jersey." All I got was confused looks, which lead to the long explanations. That certainly didn't stop me from wearing the jersey!

I still like option 3) That nobody outside of Fargo likes or cares about NDSU. It's seriously the truth. Born and raised in North Dakota. Sometime the truth hurts Bison Dan. Maybe if NDSU didn't have such ugly colors :lol:

Plenty of people outside Fargo care. You ever been to the cities the weekend the Bison and the Gophers play in football? All those stores have a ton of crap near the entrance so that they can make some money off of visiting teams fans. I would assume they do that any week they anticipate a lot of fans from an opposing team coming to a game, isn't your final 5 going on in......oh! the Cities!

There is always a lot of Sioux gear at both Field of Dreams and the College Shop. Staff at the College Shop have told me that Sioux gear is there second biggest seller, so sorry bison fans Sioux gear is a bigger seller then bison stuff.

Sioux stuff sells better probably for a variety of reasons. UND fans tend to be fixated on owning as much Sioux stuff as possible. Jerseys, alternate jerseys, etc. Most NDSU people I know, like to have a few different NDSU shirts. UND is popular within the hockey community, so you will see a lot of that around especially if you are somewhere that has hockey there. Honestly, I am not going to care a whole lot as to which team sells more merchandise. As long as the Bison are doing well in sports I'm pretty content.