SiouxSports.com Forum

Brewster named new Women's BB Coach

GeauxSioux

Was. The key word is "Was". With Walseth and a new arena, that will change quickly. Overpaid? No, $150 allows you to bring in a quality coach and insure relative equity between the mens/womens programs. Good move NDSU.

Overpaid is Hakstol. UND could pay a HC half of what they are paying Hakstol and get the same results. A rookie head coach could recruit to the Ralph and the tradition of UND hockey and not get any worse results than Hakstol.

• Upvote 1

If you haven't gotten the drift, Dorn likes and demands coaches from the isle of Lezbo. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just the NDSU way.

Still waiting to see how we know Walseth's sexual orientation. Are all women's basketball player lesbian's? Madi Buck, Emily Evers, the Pudenz's? Please enlighten us?

Keep pumping big money into track and field. For every dollar you put in you will get a peso back. If your track and softball teams sucked you wouldn't even know they existed or talk about them on message boards. All the sports you listed (minus baseball in the South - which we are not located in) are essentially worthless to the majority of every fanbase in America. If they are good, awesome. If not, oh well.

"Paying coaches the minimum possible". Another strong argument for the hockies/DII combo platter up nort.

• Upvote 1

Was. The key word is "Was". With Walseth and a new arena, that will change quickly. Overpaid? No, $150 allows you to bring in a quality coach and insure relative equity between the mens/womens programs. Good move NDSU.

Overpaid is Hakstol. UND could pay a HC half of what they are paying Hakstol and get the same results. A rookie head coach could recruit to the Ralph and the tradition of UND hockey and not get any worse results than Hakstol.

I hate to say this, but I agree with both of them. NDSU has made a serious commitment to rebuilding their WBB program into a conference title contender and giving themselves a chance to accomplish what Brewster and UND did this year. And yet, many on this forum are criticizing that? ???

"Paying coaches the minimum possible". Another strong argument for the hockies/DII combo platter up nort.

So are you saying that the UxD's were stupid to start their women's basketball coaches in the $110k to $120k range, and then reward them AFTER they succeed? At least Johnston has earned his $180k/year at SDSU by having a long history of success.

I could maybe see paying that kind of money for a coach with an actual track record of success as a head coach. But given Dorn's recent track record, and Walseth's lack of head coaching experience, we'll see whether it was a good move or not in the next few years. She's got a lot of work to do.

That is just the thing, lets wait until she actually coaches a season or two before you can determine if the $150,000 a year is worth it. Im sure she had a pretty good gig at PSU (they are no slouches in women's bball over there) and needed to be compensated enough in order to take a head coaching job. If you want to win, you pay $$$$$$

Back to the main point of the thread, I am sure Brew will be given a nice raise.

Yeah anyone can have a career record of 260-133-40 and make the NCAA tournament at UND every season because every coach before Hak has right? Maybe you should just stick to bison sports.

I think hope is the word you're looking for. There's no proof that paying someone who hasn't been more than a 3rd assistant (albeit at a very successful school) and has zero head coaching experience will turn the program around. Hopefully Gene trusts Dorn, the possibility of having to buy out what would be remaining on a 5 year contract at $150K/year won't be an appealing decision for a program that has very little fan support behind it and hasn't for a while.

I think hope is the word you're looking for. There's no proof that paying someone who hasn't been more than a 3rd assistant (albeit at a very successful school) and has zero head coaching experience will turn the program around. Hopefully Gene trusts Dorn, the possibility of having to buy out what would be remaining on a 5 year contract at $150K/year won't be an appealing decision for a program that has very little fan support behind it and hasn't for a while.

Businesses (colleges) always pay for good talent. Face it, Faison is trying to do coaches on the cheap. A asst. coach goes from 38k at UND to 60K at USD. (the arm pit of the region) Look at the results he got from the VB coach (past one) He was only one of the few well paid at UND.

And how many years do you give Hakstol and keep increasing his salary before you get better results out of him? He was one game away from not even making it to the NCAA tournament this year.

And notice the results of a team that wasn't supposed to make the tourney....you can look at it both ways.

Businesses (colleges) always pay for good talent. Face it, Faison is trying to do coaches on the cheap. A asst. coach goes from 38k at UND to 60K at USD. (the arm pit of the region) Look at the results he got from the VB coach (past one) He was only one of the few well paid at UND.

Or is Taylor trying to impress people by overpaying for coaches with absolutely zero track record as a head coach? Just curious what the combined head coaching record of Walseth, Richman and Klieman is? Not saying that none of them will be successful, just pointing out that you say businesses (colleges) pay for talent, the difference is, they pay for proven talent.

The answer to their combined head coaching record is 3-7.

Just pointing out that Dorn and Taylor are throwing a good amount of money at three new coaches who have little to no head coaching experience. Time will tell whether they are wroth what appears to be an above market price paid for them.

Or is Taylor trying to impress people by overpaying for coaches with absolutely zero track record as a head coach? Just curious what the combined head coaching record of Walseth, Richman and Klieman is? Not saying that none of them will be successful, just pointing out that you say businesses (colleges) pay for talent, the difference is, they pay for proven talent.

Everybody is "unproven" at some point in their careers. Everybody gets their start someplace. Based on your statement, we should just recycle the same coaches over and over again.

As has been stated/proven multiple times Faison has spent money on coaches who prove they deserve a raise or coaches that he is hiring. I don't feel there is a coach on our men's basketball staff who has proven they deserve a raise. Faison would be foolish to shell out money to coaches who have not proven anything. Additional money does not equal wins.

What I am curious to see is how the hiring of the new coach at FU affects the raise Brewster should be getting. Brewster has proven he can coach and recruit and needs to be paid accordingly.

Everybody is "unproven" at some point in their careers. Everybody gets their start someplace. Based on your statement, we should just recycle the same coaches over and over again.

Not at all. I'm saying that it appears NDSU is overpaying for coaches who have zero head coaching experience. Not saying that none of them are deserving, I think they all have a chance to succeed, though some better than others. But it appears that the starting salary they are giving them doesn't necessarily mess with their experience. Case in point: Smith is getting less money and years (state law) at USD than Richman is getting at NDSU. Smith has a more impressive resume almost any measure. Klieman is the one that makes sense, not sold on the other two.

But as Joe Chapman showed, NDSU is free to do with their money as they please...

What I am curious to see is how the hiring of the new coach at FU affects the raise Brewster should be getting. Brewster has proven he can coach and recruit and needs to be paid accordingly.

This. Can't remember off the top of my head how long Brewster's contract was for, guessing he just finished year 2 of 4 or 5. Wouldn't be surprised to see a small extension with a raise added in for him announced sometime this summer.

Not at all. I'm saying that it appears NDSU is overpaying for coaches who have zero head coaching experience. Not saying that none of them are deserving, I think they all have a chance to succeed, though some better than others. But it appears that the starting salary they are giving them doesn't necessarily mess with their experience. Case in point: Smith is getting less money and years (state law) at USD than Richman is getting at NDSU. Smith has a more impressive resume almost any measure. Klieman is the one that makes sense, not sold on the other two.

But as Joe Chapman showed, NDSU is free to do with their money as they please...

I think in order to get an up and coming assistant coach from a big-time program to be your head coach, you must be willing to pony up the cash up-front. There is risk in doing that, but there is risk in everything. It's tough on the athletic department budget, but that's the world we jumped into when we moved up.

I think in order to get an up and coming assistant coach from a big-time program to be your head coach, you must be willing to pony up the cash up-front. There is risk in doing that, but there is risk in everything. It's tough on the athletic department budget, but that's the world we jumped into when we moved up.

NDSU thought they were getting an up and coming assistant from a big-time program the last time around, too. So yes, there's a lot of risk involved here. I'm just glad that in terms of women's basketball, UND is presently in a position of pretty much knowing what they have, and can give a pay raise based upon merit rather than a leap of faith.

Except for 2 of their 3 hires have been internal candidates. Both may have been flight risks to go with the outgoing staff, Klieman likely was for sure, but both showed quite a bit of interest in wanting to stay in Fargo and to be head coaches instead of assistants. Its a matter of opinion, I happen to think NDSU is paying for what they hope the coaches will be, which they very well could turn into. Time will tell.

And if she flops don't worry people will be intimidated by the new building they will forfeit right? 721 saw the flop last season on average, maybe Taylor will keep the women's team at Scheels after the new building is built as not to taint it. A new building is not going to help if the product on the floor is winning only 6 games all year. Just because you pay someone a lot they are not nesseccairly going to be a clone to their predicessor. Also I love how FU fans praise their coaches with little or no experience but laugh when UND fans do the same with Bubba. Can you say hypocrites.

Yeah anyone can have a career record of 260-133-40 and make the NCAA tournament at UND every season because every coach before Hak has right? Maybe you should just stick to bison sports.

How many coaches before Hak had the new Ralph to recruit to? No coach has had this kind of a draught of National Championships at UND since before the 1980's and they were working with the Old Ralph and no one was calling the Old Ralph the best hockey facility in the country college or pro.

• Upvote 1

How many coaches before Hak had the new Ralph to recruit to? No coach has had this kind of a draught of National Championships at UND since before the 1980's and they were working with the Old Ralph and no one was calling the Old Ralph the best hockey facility in the country college or pro.

The old Ralph was good enough to host the 1983 National Title game.