SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics Complex

GeauxSioux

I seem to remember hearing that it costs nearly $1 million just to take the building the down. That's one of the reasons they haven't done it yet. They didn't have the money to throw around until they grouped it in with money raised for another project.

I thought it was something like that also but couldn't remember for sure. This way they can include the cleanup of the site in the project and it won't be just a big hole in the ground for 10 years or longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what type of renovations will be done to the hyslop? Are they turning it into class rooms or are they keeping it as an athletic building? I've heard they were renovating the building but I didn't hear anything specific as far as what it is going to be used for.

Does anyone know what type of renovations will be done to the hyslop? Are they turning it into class rooms or are they keeping it as an athletic building? I've heard they were renovating the building but I didn't hear anything specific as far as what it is going to be used for.

I have no idea, but I wonder if it is being converted to more of a tennis facility given the fact that UND is adding men's tennis and that GF Center Courts will be imploded in a year or two given the impeding move to Choice Heath & Fitness or whatever it is called.............................

I believe UND has an agreement with the City of Grand Forks on using the new tennis facility.

That is correct. UND will be moving tennis to the new Choice Wellness Center. The new facility even has a much better viewing area so that people can watch the matches.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand the Ralph cannot accomodate seating expansion. is this plan mainly for training facilities?

Your guess is as good as mine. Probably whatever they need to keep up with the times and keep the building "modern" over the years. Could possibly include an arena for the women down the road; like Minnesota and Wisconsin have built. If you click the link its a thirty year plan - forecast.

.....replace the CRT tv's with modern day HD flat screens....small individual tv's for each urinal. Larger 8 sided scoreboard. I know Ralph wanted the Ralph to blend in with the surround buildings, but large glass facades seem to be "the thing....a bar and restaurant inside the arena, like the X....larger two story pro shop. :xmas:

Ralph Engelstad built the facility that bears his name, to ensure the strong hockey tradition that is UND Hockey continues for generations to come. To ensure Mr. Englestad's vision, the executive board that controls the Ralph Engelstad Arena, chose ICON to create a Long Range Capital Improvement Plan. This plan identifies future needs and allows the board to prioritize future projects and ensure the arena is home to the University of North Dakota hockey for generations to come.

The Alerus Center is about the same age as the Ralph....and the Alerus Center has recently had major renovations to its exterior.

Man every time I see this it pisses me off that UND, a team not even eligible for the playoffs until 2012, is going to have better practice facilities than NDSU in the primary, flagship sport at NDSU.

Don't get too jealous...its still just talk. Like a new on campus stadium for UND....over a half decade now. Add a year or two or three before its announced and a year (or two) for completion....and it could be 2016 before its open.

• 3 months later...

I hesitate to bring up the Indoor Practice Facility again since it has been a topic of conversation for so long. But a little birdie told me that there may be good news on the topic within a few weeks. No details, and it wasn't guaranteed because of the past stops and starts. It sounds like someone is planning to step up and fill in the financing gap. It would be great if this actually happens.

• Upvote 2

I hesitate to bring up the Indoor Practice Facility again since it has been a topic of conversation for so long. But a little birdie told me that there may be good news on the topic within a few weeks. No details, and it wasn't guaranteed because of the past stops and starts. It sounds like someone is planning to step up and fill in the financing gap. It would be great if this actually happens.

Would the few weeks be after say....June 12th?

No date given, but it sounded like it could possibly be before the end of May. Whenever it happens will be good news.

I would just think the IPF would be a waste if UND was forced to keep the nickname. You have the facilities but no home playoff game...it cancels both of them out.

I would just think the IPF would be a waste if UND was forced to keep the nickname. You have the facilities but no home playoff game...it cancels both of them out.

So if we're not eligible for a home playoff game then we shouldn't have a IPF??? As long as we have a viable conference to play in an IPF is a huge recruitment tool, I hope we get to retire the nickname but if we don't we shouldn't give up on improving our facilities.