SiouxSports.com Forum

Where do you see UND going?

IrishSiouxFan

I know that I'm about to ask an unpopular question but it needs to be asked. It is becoming apparent that UND will never play for a true national championship in football as we will most likely never be admitted into a BCS conference and even if we made our way to an FBS conference and went undefeated the BCS would find a way to screw us out of it. We know that olympic sports will never be profitable and given our football and basketball attendance it is not likely to see those programs in the black anytime soon. So I ask you this, if UND is somehow denied admissions into the Big Sky, should we consider the option of abandoning all sports with exception to men and women's hockey? If athletics other than hockey are not going to be beneficial to the school and have abysmal attendance should we continue to fund them? It's an honest question and I'm curious to hear what you think as fellow Sioux fans.

This is the ultimate dream of the hockey-only crowd, but it simply will not happen. The NCAA requires that school sponsor a certain number of sports for men and women. I guess we could petition to join the Pioneer League for football and the Ivy League for everything else and go non-scholarship, but I don't think our alums and fan base would support something like that. But NDSU fans and alums would support this 100% because they would have the run of the state (and region) for recruiting. That alone makes this a non-starter for me.

Drop all sports except hockey because UND won't win the BCS? WOW.

Even if UND wanted to they couldn't.

That's not what I asked. The question was, if UND is somehow denied entrance into the Big Sky and finds itself exiled with no D1 conference affiliation should they consider dropping all sports but hockey? It's a hypothetical question, if you find it preposterous then don't reply. God forbid we speculate about various scenarios brought on by the ongoing logo controversy.

Hockey pays the bills, so it would be classified as beneficial to the institution.

If we can't get into the Big Sky Conference and other schools refuse to play us, the Athletic Department will drown in a sea of red ink. No amount of beer sold at REA will make up for that. We will then be forced to choose between dropping athletics altogether or leave the NCAA for the NAIA. NDSU would be thrilled about that, but I sure as heck wouldn't. And I don't think you would like it much, either.

That's not what I asked. The question was, if UND is somehow denied entrance into the Big Sky and finds itself exiled with no D1 conference affiliation should they consider dropping all sports but hockey? It's a hypothetical question, if you find it preposterous then don't reply. God forbid we speculate about various scenarios brought on by the ongoing logo controversy.

I will say this one more time: It...is...not...an...option.

Your "hypothetical quesiton" is not even a valid point of discussion because the NCAA would never allow a school to have just one sport each for men and women. You hockey-only types love to preach that "hockey drives the bus". Well, what is the point of having a bus without any passengers? And what was the point of moving up to Division I if everything is going to revolve around hockey and what REA, Inc. wants? We are losing ground to the Ag College in Fargo every year this nickname fight drags on and I am sick and tired of it. :angry:

• Upvote 3

I will say this one more time: It...is...not...an...option.

Your "hypothetical quesiton" is not even a valid point of discussion because the NCAA would never allow a school to have just one sport each for men and women. You hockey-only types love to preach that "hockey drives the bus". Well, what is the point of having a bus without any passengers? And what was the point of moving up to Division I if everything is going to revolve around hockey and what REA, Inc. wants? We are losing ground to the Ag College in Fargo every year this nickname fight drags on and I am sick and tired of it. :angry:

I'm not a hockey-only type. I attend more home football, basketball, and volley ball games than the majority of the people on this board. I hate to lose the name but I understand retiring it is in the schools best interest to retire it. I wrote this post before I realized that a school has to sponsor 7 sports per gender to qualify for D1 status, so relax, count to ten, and find your happy place :)

Why does Women's hockey stay? I don't think they operate in the black. Why would the newest program, who until a few years ago sucked, get to stay?

Your question is one of the most idiotic things I've read today.

Yeah, I get it, I asked a stupid question and now every A Hole on SIoux Sports is going to rub my nose in it.

It is preposterious because it can't happen. You are showing you don't know how college sports works. UND has to sponsor a certain number of sports to even offer hockey at UND. So why bring up something that could NEVER EVER happen at UND? It's like saying UND should move its hockey team to the NHL.

I really thought you were smarter than that.

It is preposterious because it can't happen. You are showing you don't know how college sports works. UND has to sponsor a certain number of sports to even offer hockey at UND. So why bring up something that could NEVER EVER happen at UND? It's like saying UND should move its hockey team to the NHL.

I have already admitted I made a mistake by posting this thread and apologized for it, but by all means beat a dead horse if it makes you feel better.

I have already admitted I made a mistake by posting this thread and apologized for it, but by all means beat a dead horse if it makes you feel better.

I see that now. I replied to that before reading the rest of the thread. As apparently my post and your admitted mistake were posted at the same time.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I get it, I asked a stupid question and now every A Hole on SIoux Sports is going to rub my nose in it.

I don't see how disagreeing with you made me an A Hole

Could've swore I saw it kick.

I would agree with you if the NCAA allowed it if UND were able to drop certain sports like....soccer. golf. track. cross country. wrestling (opps UND already did). etc. But being DI, UND has to offer so many sports.

Certainly I would never drop football or basketball no matter how much money they lose. College athletics is more than "money making." Like a communities "public library."

The main issue is you really dislike UND football (and basketball) that much that you wouldn't mind UND dropping them? (in the name of fiscal responsibility?) I love Sioux football. I love the tailgating. I would hate to see UND ever consider dropping football....but that is possibly at UND. That is one valid question you could ask...as I have mentioned before...

I can't believe all this WAC talk when we can't even join

(football stadium too small)

....or maybe. And here is opening a can of worms, football at UND might get dropped like UNO's.

If UND students wanted these sports to be fiscally sound and thus not being "possibly dropped," they could just vote to raise student fees.

The main issue is you really dislike UND football (and basketball) that much that you wouldn't mind UND dropping them? (in the name of fiscal responsibility?)

If UND students wanted these sports to be fiscally sound and thus not being "possibly dropped," they could just vote to raise student fees.

I never said I disliked football or basketball, I actually attend the majority of the homes games. I think football and basketball are essential institutional sports , however it has been very difficult for us to encourage people to attend games and it hurts our image and recruitment potential. I think it would be a hard sell to convince students to pay more fees for free sporting events they don't attend.

I think it would be a hard sell to convince students to pay more fees for free sporting events they don't attend.

I don't. I believe SCSU did just that to save their football team.

however it has been very difficult for us to encourage people to attend games and it hurts our recruitment potential.

You wanna drop football to help the recruiting image?