SiouxSports.com Forum

Roebuck retiring after this year?

star2city

Anyone know what kind of Salvo Roebuck fired off on NDSU today at Sioux boosters in Grand Forks? My sources tell me apologies have been issued!

My mom went to Boosters yesterday. I called her after I read this and called her to ask about it. She said that he did comment on it, but nothing vulgar was said and her mind nothing that one would need to apologize for.

My mom went to Boosters yesterday. I called her after I read this and called her to ask about it. She said that he did comment on it, but nothing vulgar was said and her mind nothing that one would need to apologize for.

Maybe we have over sensitive AD's. I think Gene and Mr. Faison are trying to put an end to the bad blood as it really helps no one. Each school has it's own strenghts and weaknesses but over all each school promotes excellence in everything they do. In the 6-7 state area their are only a couple of schools that can compare (UM & UW) and never two within 70 miles of each other or in the same state.

• Upvote 3

Maybe we have over sensitive AD's. I think Gene and Mr. Faison are trying to put an end to the bad blood as it really helps no one. Each school has it's own strenghts and weaknesses but over all each school promotes excellence in everything they do. In the 6-7 state area their are only a couple of schools that can compare (UM & UW) and never two within 70 miles of each other or in the same state.

This is the most sane thing I have seen from a Bison fan on this site. We should not undermine each other, we should support each other against other D1 schools. As a small population state, we should be united against the "big boys".

• Upvote 3

At the booster lunch held Friday at the Alerus Center, Roebuck allegedly called North Dakota State fans “racist blowhards.” That remark allegedly was in response to North Dakota State fans chanting “Sioux suck” during a welcome-home celebration for the Bison football team after it won the NCAA Division I FCS championship against Sam Houston State on Jan. 7.

Not sure what the allegedly part is about, that is exactly what it was in response to.

Buck is dead on! That school to the south IS the reason we have to get rid of our name. The Sioux suck after everything they do and the t-shirts is what upsets the PC crowd and Native Americans the most! No where else in the country does what the hayseeds chant down south. Like Frank Burggraf said about the bison football team "You can win a championship and still be a loser." Amen Gene!

They didn't even quote Gene correctly in the Herald story. His comments were a tongue-in-cheek reference to the "Sioux suck" chant by NDSU...since we are no longer named Sioux they must be talking about the Native Americans which would make them racist. It was a harmless comment at Sioux Boosters which is basically a pep rally and did not warrent a written apology to the president of NDSU. For God's sake Faison wasn't even there and nobody cared or was even talking about it but this administration used it as fodder to once again make their anti-nickname case and show everyone 'see here is just another reason why this nickname is destructive'. They use Gene as a pawn and create negative PR for the very University they represent to further their agenda to do away with the Sioux name and every tradition that came with it. How pathetic! Just falls in line with all the other half truths this administration is pushing to the media.

Ever since Gene made the comment that he would chose the Sioux name over Summit League membership this administration has been on his back. Gene has done a lot for this university in his 25 years and doesn't deserve the kind of treatment he is getting from this administration. Gene is not retiring any time in the near future unless he is force out by our administrators who are in the process of trying to eliminate everything that has to do with the Sioux name and its traditions!

I meharing brewster is the replacement even though faison will conduct interviews. Faison likes to think he is the big man.

I also hear roebuck was forced out. DOnt shoot the messenger please

I think Brewster would do a great job but Faison wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't do his due diligence to see if there wasn't someone better available!!!

If this had anything to do with his comments at the luncheon last week, I will have a BIG problem with it. :angry: If it was just Roebuck deciding to call it a career, I am fine with it. Faison better make the right choice on this or we could end up like NDSU's women's program, which has really hit the skids.

I also hear roebuck was forced out. DOnt shoot the messenger please

Hak is next. It's apparent that anyone who isn't on board with retiring the nickname is going to be out. It's really a sad thing what's going on on campus.

Hak is next. It's apparent that anyone that isn't on board with retiring the nickname is going to be out. It's really sad.

Faison wants his own guy in there? Just like Gene got his own in at NDSU? Hows that working out for NDSU Womens bball? Worry about your own coaches, fans, and athletes my friend. We don't need your opinion on a man who did more for UND athletics in 20+ years that just about anyone in the history of the school.

Not that it matters but NDSU's women's AD Lynn Dorn is the responsible party for the Dehoff hire. Dorn isn't a very popular person in Fargo right now.

The good news is I think his replacement is already on staff and has been handling a lot of the recruiting duties. Great coach and tough to see him go though.

After watching this group play, I'm not sure I'd hang my hat as the next head coach on being a great recruiter. This team isn't very good so recruiting, in my opinion, is a big issue.

Just to set the record straight....

After a adult beverage with Coach Buck, This has been in place for well over a year, he told Faison last May of his plans to step down. This has also been confirmed by some of his closer friends then me.

It had nothing to do with any comments this past week from the Fans down South or any current situations.

I have the a lot of respect for Coach and his committment to Womens Basketball and the University of North Dakota, what he has accomplished will leave a Legacy forever.

I will miss him, except for the occasional round of golf, he was a Good Friend, Great in the Community and made a impact on many players, coaches and fans....

Thanks for everything Coach!

• Upvote 1