SiouxSports.com Forum

Roebuck retiring after this year?

star2city

Sounds like this might be happening. It would certainly end an era. Roebuck is the last carryover from DII days.

With the talent coming in, WBB days are getting brighter and Roebuck will have that recruiting legacy.

Brewster seemingly came back as the heir apparent, so there likely won't be major adjustments.

I figured this would happen once we emerged from transition. Roebuck, for all intents and purposes, IS Women's Basketball at UND. Everything that this program stands for, everything that it's accomplished, can be traced back to Gene Roebuck. This is the biggest coaching retirement (if it happens) since Dave Gunther.

I figured this would happen once we emerged from transition. Roebuck, for all intents and purposes, IS Women's Basketball at UND. Everything that this program stands for, everything that it's accomplished, can be traced back to Gene Roebuck. This is the biggest coaching retirement (if it happens) since Dave Gunther.

Maybe it is time. Falling behind by 21-0 in BB out of the gate can influence people.

I think gene-o wanted to see the UND women thru the transition and only coach for a team called the fighting sioux

i also know he wanted to make sure the team is in the best possible shape it can be in when he goes out and the cupboard isnt empty

I also hope faison hires brewster

Gene will always be loved. You win a championship at UND you go down in history. Still waiting for Hakstol.

The Bison fans aren't happy with the way their womens program has went...Amy Ruley took a position within the NDSU athletic department. I hope UND womens basketball doesn't inherit a similar fate.

What I respect the most about Gene is how he made sure he saw the program through the transition. In doing so, he tarnished his career record greatly but showed he didn't care about that - unlike another local coach who got out before the transition could do the same.

Nothing "tarnished" about Ruley's record. I obviously I am not an AC fan but she was a hell of a coach and was one of the best at any level. Record speaks for itself. Even Tennessee and Duke who have the winningest coaches in the NCAA have had down years. Roebuck's success has been tremendous and he also has been one of the best at any level of college women's coaching. Both the AC and UND in their best years would have competed well at the D1 level. UND seems to be transitioning a bit better but both coaches have great careers. Timing is right for Roebuck to step down and let Brewster take over. Brewster is an excellent recruiter and the kids like him from what I have been told. UND WBB is getting close, we need to keep getting better.

I don't think Ruleys reputation was tarnished when she left. It was getting a little rusty though and women's basketball supporters were more than anxious for her to move on. That could be where we are heading here too. Not yet though. Actually in Fargo now, women's basketball supporters are hoping DeHoff would move on sooner than later.

Maybe it is time. Falling behind by 21-0 in BB out of the gate can influence people.

Ole in MSP - since when did coaches play the game. They can prepare and prepare and prepare - but at some time the players have to put the tennis shoes and play the game. What a stupid comment.

Ole in MSP - since when did coaches play the game. They can prepare and prepare and prepare - but at some time the players have to put the tennis shoes and play the game. What a stupid comment.

Please avoid the nasty comments, OK, and have another beer. 21-0, are you kidding me? A coach has to make some adjustment, some substitution, something to change the situation before it gets to that point. The game was over already at that point. And you can call my comments stupid, but that is a fact.

Please avoid the nasty comments, OK, and have another beer. 21-0, are you kidding me? A coach has to make some adjustment, some substitution, something to change the situation before it gets to that point. The game was over already at that point. And you can call my comments stupid, but that is a fact.

I would like to know what adjustment you make to make the ball go in the hole. I'm sure if they had a surefire way to score, they wouldn't have let it get to 21-0.

No way Buck leaves now; he wants to coach this team in the Big Sky. The last 5 years of crappy scheduling and traveling across country, he ain't quitting now!!! Coach Dags knows Buck as well as anyone on this board and if says Buck is staying, I trust him.

I agree - he is very excited about next year's recruiting class as well as the young lady from Hopkins who is only a junior. I think he will be around another 3-4 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Must be pretty vulgar for Mr. Faison to call up Gene and apologize for it. One thing for a player caught up in the moment to say something stupid but for a coach, but that's Roebuck. By the way I hear that Faison can't wait for him to retire so he can get his own coach in there. So guys what did he say? And the big question of the day will the gf media take him to task? I'm sure the media was there. I'm betting we'll hear nothing about it from the gf media. Top secret you know......

Must be pretty vulgar for Mr. Faison to call up Gene and apologize for it. One thing for a player caught up in the moment to say something stupid but for a coach, but that's Roebuck. By the way I hear that Faison can't wait for him to retire so he can get his own coach in there. So guys what did he say? And the big question of the day will the gf media take him to task? I'm sure the media was there. I'm betting we'll hear nothing about it from the gf media. Top secret you know......

Faison wants his own guy in there? Just like Gene got his own in at NDSU? Hows that working out for NDSU Womens bball? Worry about your own coaches, fans, and athletes my friend. We don't need your opinion on a man who did more for UND athletics in 20+ years that just about anyone in the history of the school.

• Upvote 3

Faison wants his own guy in there? Just like Gene got his own in at NDSU? Hows that working out for NDSU Womens bball? Worry about your own coaches, fans, and athletes my friend. We don't need your opinion on a man who did more for UND athletics in 20+ years that just about anyone in the history of the school.

Not my opinion as I hope he stays forever.