SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

Can anyone guess on how many of the signing class of 2012 will be redshirted? half or 75%?

Hopefully all of them but I would guess two or three have a chance to see the field. One or two of the WR's (depending on how Jackson and Young develop) and Cain at safety. That is my best guess.

With the signing of QB's it would be tempting to see what Mollberg can do right out of the gate. I am sure he will be redshirted but still would be great to see what the true freshman can do against the Big Sky, and the Aztecs.

Remind me the kid's name who is coming in from North Carolina.

And is it pretty much a done deal that he will be the starter game one or will he have some pretty stiff competition?

Remind me the kid's name who is coming in from North Carolina.

And is it pretty much a done deal that he will be the starter game one or will he have some pretty stiff competition?

Braden Hanson and no, he is not guarenteed the starting position. Chances are he will earn it. From all reports out of camp, he has been a great addtion to the team and has shown leadership and isn't coming in as though he is the starter. He is coming in to earn the position and the respect of the team.

I am not sure the QB situation could turn out any better for you guys if he turns out to be a good servicable guy for this fall. Mollberg gets a chance to sit and learn for a year and you still have a guy who can sit back and make the passes needed to win games in the big sky. That year sitting is essential for a QB IMO, especially coming from where Mollberg came from. The speed of the game will be too much for him to deal with as a freshman and that year sitting will give him a lot of confidence.

I am not sure the QB situation could turn out any better for you guys if he turns out to be a good servicable guy for this fall. Mollberg gets a chance to sit and learn for a year and you still have a guy who can sit back and make the passes needed to win games in the big sky. That year sitting is essential for a QB IMO, especially coming from where Mollberg came from. The speed of the game will be too much for him to deal with as a freshman and that year sitting will give him a lot of confidence.

"Coming where Mollberg came from"?? He came from Detroit Lakes. The head coach has been Minnesota Coach of the Year and part of 4 State Championship Teams. They run both veer looks and a spread look. One of the better High School programs in the upper midwest. In the "down years" they are still winning 7-9 games per year. Not all against weaker competition. Kids have excellent HS weight training program and college coaches and the kids themselves feel they are well prepared for college.

Having said that, you are correct, he will be better off sitting a year and learning under Hanson (as well as the other QB's) and I believe he is very excited to do that.

Yes, coming from where he came from. I am not talking about winning games here, I am talking about style and speed of play. It wasn't meant as an insult, QB is the hardest position to transition from HS to college.

Like it or not Minnesota is not a hotbed of football talent. There are some great players that come out of Minnesota no doubt, but you just aren't going to go up against the speed that you will see in college on a consistent basis.

One of the better high school programs in the upper midwest? Only if you define upper midwest as Minnesota and North Dakota and even that is a stretch. Nobody outside of Minnesota and Eastern North Dakota has heard of Detroit Lakes.

And Detroit Lakes doesn't even play at the highest level in Minnesota Football. They aren't even playing the best programs in their own state.

This isn't the point I wanted to discuss. I have seen the film on Mollberg and he appears to have the skills to become a great college QB, I just feel he will greatly benefit from sitting for a year to allow his eyes and arm to catch up to the speed of the game.

Yes, coming from where he came from. I am not talking about winning games here, I am talking about style and speed of play. It wasn't meant as an insult, QB is the hardest position to transition from HS to college.

Like it or not Minnesota is not a hotbed of football talent. There are some great players that come out of Minnesota no doubt, but you just aren't going to go up against the speed that you will see in college on a consistent basis.

One of the better high school programs in the upper midwest? Only if you define upper midwest as Minnesota and North Dakota and even that is a stretch. Nobody outside of Minnesota and Eastern North Dakota has heard of Detroit Lakes.

And Detroit Lakes doesn't even play at the highest level in Minnesota Football. They aren't even playing the best programs in their own state.

This isn't the point I wanted to discuss. I have seen the film on Mollberg and he appears to have the skills to become a great college QB, I just feel he will greatly benefit from sitting for a year to allow his eyes and arm to catch up to the speed of the game.

Just look at what Brooks Bollinger did at Wisconsin..he did reshirt but a 4 year starter, and held a 30-12 record at Wisconsin against Big 10 competition, won bowl games and was drafted in the NFL. Grand Forks Central is NOT known as a football school by any means.... 1 state title (2005) since 1963. I guess time will tell if Mollberg can be one of the best QB's in the BSC.

Just look at what Brooks Bollinger did at Wisconsin..he did reshirt but a 4 year starter, and held a 30-12 record at Wisconsin against Big 10 competition, won bowl games and was drafted in the NFL. Grand Forks Central is NOT known as a football school by any means.... 1 state title (2005) since 1963. I guess time will tell if Mollberg can be one of the best QB's in the BSC.

Bison06 is not knocking the talent level. Just pointing out that at any level, if a player is able to redshirt it will benefit him, espcially a qb. Brooks included. I think everyone is in agreement on that.

Ok, but he redshirted. I doubt that he would have been as good his true freshman year as he was his redshirt freshman year.

I am not saying it can't be done, only that players who come from programs who have played against stiffer competition and faster defenses have less of a learning curve than those who have seen that speed already.

Ok, but he redshirted. I doubt that he would have been as good his true freshman year as he was his redshirt freshman year.

I am not saying it can't be done, only that players who come from programs who have played against stiffer competition and faster defenses have less of a learning curve than those who have seen that speed already.

I am saying IMO DL football is better than GFC football. I think Mollberg would have some success in the BSC off the bat, but I am sure they will redshirt him and most likely go with Bradley or Hanson. Since this is Hanson's only year left I am sure he will try his hardest to impress the staff from the start.

I am saying IMO DL football is better than GFC football. I think Mollberg would have some success in the BSC off the bat, but I am sure they will redshirt him and most likely go with Bradley or Hanson. Since this is Hanson's only year left I am sure he will try his hardest to impress the staff from the start.

I would agree that DL football is traditionally the better program, but that isn't at all what I was saying.

The opponents are what matters, and in that sense DL and GFC don't play a significantly different level of talent and speed on a weekly basis.

Point is, Mollberg will be good, but will be better after a year of sitting and learning.

I think regardless of Mollberg's potential right now he would be better suited to redshirt this year. I want to see what Comes, Bradley, and Hanson can do during spring practices. Hanson definitely has potential and adds excitement that he can take over right away, Comes was identified as the offensive scout player of the year and there was some good talk about him coming out of high school, and Bradley has had a full year to get acclimated to the FCS level of play, lift some weights, and hopefully make progress. It's easy to forget that Bradley was still quite young last year.

As it stands I'm interested in seeing the winner of this 3 qb race, and then redshirt our young QB's we recruited this year. Give them a year to get used to not only the system and the speed, but also give them time to get adjusted to being away from home and the university way of life.

I think I'm going to puke if someone mentions Bradley as a possible starter next year, he could hardly get the ball to the reciever on a bubble screen. He would propbably be a decent qb for a team like Mankato. Comes, on the other hand, has plenty of arm talent and good pocket presense and has had two years to digest the offense. Hendrickson has an absolute cannon and is one of the fastest players on the team but has maturity and consistancy issues. This spring we will see what Hansen can do, I hope he has 'it' and can allow the coaches to use the playbook and create mismatches. I am extremely excited to see the new players show what they can do this spring and see how the younger players have improved but please, please lay off the Bradley Kool-Aid...

Yeah after seeing Bradley last year I can't imagine he's gonna win a competition over a guy who spent his years at UNC sitting behind a guy who's playing in the NFL now. And if you're not familiar with UNC football, they've churned out as much NFL defensive talent as any program in the country over the last few years. Hanson's been getting looks in practice against big time talents. I'm not saying he's going to be UND football's savior but I can't imagine Bradley has anywhere near as much talent as Hanson and Hanson's got the experience edge by far.

Also, I don't doubt that DL has a good football program. I'm just glad we won't have to see a kid go from playing Perham to playing San Diego State in less than a year. I'd bet SDSU has a defensive lineman or two faster than some of the db's Mollberg was throwing against last year. The defensive speed just does not compare.

Yeah after seeing Bradley last year I can't imagine he's gonna win a competition over a guy who spent his years at UNC sitting behind a guy who's playing in the NFL now. And if you're not familiar with UNC football, they've churned out as much NFL defensive talent as any program in the country over the last few years. Hanson's been getting looks in practice against big time talents. I'm not saying he's going to be UND football's savior but I can't imagine Bradley has anywhere near as much talent as Hanson and Hanson's got the experience edge by far.

Also, I don't doubt that DL has a good football program. I'm just glad we won't have to see a kid go from playing Perham to playing San Diego State in less than a year. I'd bet SDSU has a defensive lineman or two faster than some of the db's Mollberg was throwing against last year. The defensive speed just does not compare.

Aren't they the same as Idaho State? :lol:

I think I'm going to puke if someone mentions Bradley as a possible starter next year, he could hardly get the ball to the reciever on a bubble screen. He would propbably be a decent qb for a team like Mankato. Comes, on the other hand, has plenty of arm talent and good pocket presense and has had two years to digest the offense. Hendrickson has an absolute cannon and is one of the fastest players on the team but has maturity and consistancy issues. This spring we will see what Hansen can do, I hope he has 'it' and can allow the coaches to use the playbook and create mismatches. I am extremely excited to see the new players show what they can do this spring and see how the younger players have improved but please, please lay off the Bradley Kool-Aid...

Just remember the quarterback we started last year's season with, wasn't the one on the field at the end of the season. I'm not ready to give up on Bradley, quarterbacks develop, he's young, also we need to have one even two back-ups that are ready to step in and step up.

• 2 weeks later...

Graftons Jake Hanson hit some huge shots last night in their section championship game. He was a cold blooded killer down the stretch and iced the game with two free throws after splashing down a fade away three to take the lead with under 30 seconds left. He never looked overwhelmed under huge pressure, I can see why he's not affraid to walk on as a quarterback with his confidence.

I was at a basketball game a few weeks back and there were some Sioux football players sitting behind me. The only one I recognized was Will Ratelle. Anyways they were talking about how Mitch Sutton was going to be a load to tackle this year because he has put on some weight or gained strength. They were saying how they were all going to go low and then they said Will can just drop him. That made me excited to see Ratelle play next year. CAN'T WAIT!

Joe Mollberg scored 23 against Grand Rapids last week and Brian Labatt rejected a couple of key shots from their 6'7" post player last week to lead Detroit Lakes to a win over one of the top ranked teams in Minnesota. With those points, Mollberg becomes the leading scorer in DL history. Earlier this year Labatt became the leading rebounder in DL history. These two guys could be pretty special for UND in the years to come. Both great kids and great athletes. (Mollberg's girlfriend needs 2 points to hit the 1000 point mark in Thursday's playoff game against TRF to become one of the leading scorers in DL girls history. She is the daughter of former UND All-American FB player Paul Muckenhirn and she also will attend UND but won't be playing FB).

• Upvote 2