Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2


The Sicatoka
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

What exactly would be the appeal for Boise to join the AAC?

Better question:
Why would the AAC want Boise State over San Diego State or UNLV? 

Both have better basketball and better travel options.
Plus, UNLV Football now plays in Allegiant (home of the Raiders).*

 

*Blue Turf <<< The Roomba :D 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the financial issues that a lot of the schools are going to have to deal with, I can’t help but wonder if there will be changes in the NCAA requirements on the number of sports schools will be required to carry. The college presidents need to become involved in that conversation. I know Title IX won’t go away, but maybe reduce the minimums. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Better question:
Why would the AAC want Boise State over San Diego State or UNLV? 

Both have better basketball and better travel options.
Plus, UNLV Football now plays in Allegiant (home of the Raiders).*

 

*Blue Turf <<< The Roomba :D 

exactly...traveling to boise or san diego or LV?...easy choice in nov or december....but the blue turf!!!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

would be funny if MWC commish and presidents voted Boise State out and said enjoy your independence....and replaced them with the griz....grizzly stadium on a saturday night in the snow against wyoming would be fun to watch

They might as well.  Boise sounds like a cancer.  Montana has its own issues though with financing and school attendance.  Montana State as a university is dominating them and Montana isn't in the best shape right now to make the move.  UM could prob manage it but it wouldnt look good politically.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, nodak651 said:

Is the idea of a new arena at UAH completely dead now?

From our reporting, it isnt, but in terms of priority for UAH it is institutional support (check to the tune of 1.7 mill per year over 10 years), new conference (they have or will have pitched at least the AHA and CCHA including a 25 grand per series subsidy to make it work) then facilities upgrades, of which  a new arena would be included in. We will have more on this and the future this week. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at those teams, their budgets and amount of subsidies they already receive, I don't see any way that FBS is actually legitimate.

That being side, it is good for their to be another west(ish) coast conference for FCS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now, this conference adds a net of two new FCS teams Tarleton and Dixie.  The big change is that more teams are going to be looking for non conference games.  The Southland, WAC, and Big Sky have less members.  And you may have another autobid slot for the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The long-term goal of the league is to elevate the WAC back to FBS football later this decade."

 

SiouxVolley, as you'd claimed, and so I tip my cap to you.

Now rest, friend. 

 

@norskidude Your brother was ahead his time. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

Another poster on AGS is saying that Augustana is one of the DII schools being considered for WAC membership.

Frankly, probably makes sense for them if that is what they want to do. I don't see them getting into the Summit anytime soon and with Krabbenhoft out at Sanford, they lost a big chunk of leverage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Frankly, probably makes sense for them if that is what they want to do. I don't see them getting into the Summit anytime soon and with Krabbenhoft out at Sanford, they lost a big chunk of leverage.

But what's in it for the WAC?  Do they really need small DII move-up that is completely out of their footprint?  Makes sense for Augi, especially because it would be easier for them to get into the Summit as a post-transition D1 school, but I just cannot see the WAC needing them at this point..  Stranger things have already happened though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FSSD said:

Another poster on AGS is saying that Augustana is one of the DII schools being considered for WAC membership.

Just saw that they posted a tweet from Matt Brown.  He's the guy who first broke this WAC story, and I have zero reason to doubt him, but the question is, what does it mean for a school to get vetted?  My guess is they are just doing their due diligence and Augi will be a hard pass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People have been ripping NAU predictions because they are a founding member of the big sky blah blah blah.. They are my pick for joining.  If not now, in a few years when the league is a bit more established.  Geographically, it just makes too much sense, just like UND moving from the Big Sky to the Summit was inevitable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

People have been ripping NAU predictions because they are a founding member of the big sky blah blah blah.. They are my pick for joining.  If not now, in a few years when the league is a bit more established.  Geographically, it just makes too much sense, just like UND moving from the Big Sky to the Summit was inevitable.

Not that it matters, but I don't think NAU is a founding member of the Big Sky.  But, they have been in the conference for a long time.  The Big Sky schools that would be in play would be: 

1) Weber St - because of the other Utah schools.  They might be left behind.

2) NAU - they fit the footprint.  Is what they want and do they lose ground to Grand Canyon (I don't think it is a for profit school anymore).

3) Maybe the California schools - Sac St, Poly and Cal Davis.  They are the only none FBS schools in California.  Are they looking to make the jump to join Fresno St, San Jose St.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

But what's in it for the WAC?  Do they really need small DII move-up that is completely out of their footprint?  Makes sense for Augi, especially because it would be easier for them to get into the Summit as a post-transition D1 school, but I just cannot see the WAC needing them at this point..  Stranger things have already happened though!

I agree but the current WAC is simply a collection of parts leftover from the Great West and newer move-ups.  When you have Chicago St in your conference - Augie looks like SDSU and USD combined.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wonder if schools like denver or oral roberts or umkc jump back to the wac maybe.....they change conferences every five years anyways and the weather is always better when you travel south instead of darn near canada

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wonder if schools like denver or oral roberts or umkc jump back to the wac maybe.....they change conferences every five years anyways and the weather is always better when you travel south instead of darn near canada

I think Denver likes being in a conference with other hockey schools like UND and UNO.  No hockey schools in the WAC.  UMKC just came from the WAC and they couldn't care less about the addition of football schools.  All they care about is saving travel expense.  Oral Roberts, I think they are content where they are at geographically.  I doubt they want to get into a conference that is going to emphasize football eventually.  I think we are safe on all three.  Just my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

I think Denver likes being in a conference with other hockey schools like UND and UNO.  No hockey schools in the WAC.  UMKC just came from the WAC and they couldn't care less about the addition of football schools.  All they care about is saving travel expense.  Oral Roberts, I think they are content where they are at geographically.  I doubt they want to get into a conference that is going to emphasize football eventually.  I think we are safe on all three.  Just my opinion.

agree with denver to a point but if umkc and oru go back and they drop chicago state....pretty tight south/west (one outlier in seattle but hope the get back to the wcc) conference WITH the prestige of FBS...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

I think Denver likes being in a conference with other hockey schools like UND and UNO.  No hockey schools in the WAC.  UMKC just came from the WAC and they couldn't care less about the addition of football schools.  All they care about is saving travel expense.  Oral Roberts, I think they are content where they are at geographically.  I doubt they want to get into a conference that is going to emphasize football eventually.  I think we are safe on all three.  Just my opinion.

I agree on Denver and UMKC.  But, I don't have a strong sense on what drives Oral Roberts.  To me they are still a wild card.  Plus, they always seem to be on the verge of major money troubles.  If whatever drove them out of Southland is now gone.  Does the Southland look better now?!?!?  I don't know.  But, it obvious that something was going on in the Southland for a while and I think we just saw the fault lines form.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...