Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

It's much more likely the WAC adds football, but at an FCS level. I could see some schools moving to the WAC for football in that scenario. However it remains incredibly unlikely that the WAC resurrects as an FBS G5 conference. There isn't the support or financial backing from enough schools in the west to make it viable. 

Which is exactly what the Tarleton poster in question is saying. The guy never mentions FBS at all. In fact, he's saying he's heard NMSU is ready to drop down. What the guy has heard is that the Southland is going to break apart from internal pressure which will free up SHSU and SFA, NMSU will drop down, and UNC will come over from Big Sky because the new WAC will suit them better.

The big difference between the Tarleton guy(wisdomgymrat) and our conference prognosticator on here is that wisdom actually has an inside source and that he also freely admits that this scenario has a bunch of moving parts and has a long way to go before it ever happens.

 

Here's the original source so you can all read his stuff for yourself. It's a long thread, but almost all the important wisdomgymrat stuff is on the first three pages.

https://www.d2football.com/forum/forum/football/super-region-4/lsc/429857-tarleton-to-wac 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Which is exactly what the Tarleton poster in question is saying. The guy never mentions FBS at all. In fact, he's saying he's heard NMSU is ready to drop down. What the guy has heard is that the Southland is going to break apart from internal pressure which will free up SHSU and SFA, NMSU will drop down, and UNC will come over from Big Sky because the new WAC will suit them better.

The big difference between the Tarleton guy(wisdomgymrat) and our conference prognosticator on here is that wisdom actually has an inside source and that he also freely admits that this scenario has a bunch of moving parts and has a long way to go before it ever happens.

 

Here's the original source so you can all read his stuff for yourself. It's a long thread, but almost all the important wisdomgymrat stuff is on the first three pages.

https://www.d2football.com/forum/forum/football/super-region-4/lsc/429857-tarleton-to-wac 

Mission accomplished!

Had to get the know-it-alls about everything to reply because they are wrong again.

The new leagues will stay FCS for a couple years and then transition to FBS.  The year 2025 is key as that would get them CFP shares worth millions.  Spending time in FBS without CFP was why the WAC couldn't get more members almost ten years ago.

The Summit and WAC offices and officials have to get their feet wet with FCS before they begin FBS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw in a couple posts on the D2 board that the Big Sky Conference is assisting Tarleton State in their transition.  Why would they do this?  If the northern BSC schools move to the Summit, like SV says, and southern BSC schools move to the WAC, wouldn't the Big Sky Conference cease to exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

I saw in a couple posts on the D2 board that the Big Sky Conference is assisting Tarleton State in their transition.  Why would they do this?  If the northern BSC schools move to the Summit, like SV says, and southern BSC schools move to the WAC, wouldn't the Big Sky Conference cease to exist?

The Big Sky gets Dixie St, UVU, Seattle and likely CWU from the WAC.  Dixie St and CWU save fb.

Old fb members would be N Colo, SUU, NAU, Idaho St, and Portland St.

Both the BSC and Southland would have to cooperate in scheduling with their remaining schools, as the Southland would be down 4 or 5 fb schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

That should be alright.  I wonder if they have any long term aspirations in hockey...

Not sure on hockey.  But for football, sounds like they will look to join Pioneer and then get up to full scholarship within a decade.  This is from a friend of mine who is fairly connected at St Thomas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, that means Augie won't get an invite.

Thought the Tommies were planning a 5000 seat arena near Allianz Field.

A WCHA bid is not far off.

But when St Thomas finishes its DI transition, the MVC would want them for MSP eyeballs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UST is a sleeping giant.  As a D3 school their endowment is larger than any Summit member other than Denver.  They would be a great addition. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this move. They will need to upgrade some facilities but they are more than capable of it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

What will they do with their football program? 

Pioneer for now. Maybe MVFC or whatever later down the line. ('whatever' because who knows what the landscape will be 10 years from now)

Have to assume the NCAA waiver is just a formality. Can't believe it's gotten to this point without ST or the SL getting a positive response from the NCAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like how st thomas is already exploring leaving the slummit before they have even joined it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Pioneer for now. Maybe MVFC or whatever later down the line. ('whatever' because who knows what the landscape will be 10 years from now)

Have to assume the NCAA waiver is just a formality. Can't believe it's gotten to this point without ST or the SL getting a positive response from the NCAA.

It will be interesting to see what St Thomas does with football.  If they want to really invest in being D!, football is their money maker.  Would be great to see them eventually joing the MVFC and play at Alianz Field!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It will be interesting to see what St Thomas does with football.  If they want to really invest in being D!, football is their money maker.  Would be great to see them eventually joing the MVFC and play at Alianz Field!!

Actually, I'd say that MBB has the potential to be their real money maker. The return on investment is way bigger there than hockey or FCS football. Mid-sized private school in an almost untapped(for DI MBB) top-15 media market? Conferences will be salivating over them if they put the resources into it and perform well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Actually, I'd say that MBB has the potential to be their real money maker. The return on investment is way bigger there than hockey or FCS football. Mid-sized private school in an almost untapped(for DI MBB) top-15 media market? Conferences will be salivating over them if they put the resources into it and perform well.

Untapped?  Gopher basketball has a pretty good following, but I admit there is room for another D1 on the Eastside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

Untapped?  Gopher basketball has a pretty good following, but I admit there is room for another D1 on the Eastside.

Sorry, thought it was obvious that the Gophers were the 'almost' part of 'almost untapped'. Most other top-15 markets are shared by a bunch of DI MBB schools. I'll admit it was a bit of hyperbole. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Sorry, thought it was obvious that the Gophers were the 'almost' part of 'almost untapped'. Most other top-15 markets are shared by a bunch of DI MBB schools. I'll admit it was a bit of hyperbole. ;)

Gotcha.  The joke works better if we're lampooning Gopher football.  Actually, the joke works well for Gopher hockey as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Pioneer for now. Maybe MVFC or whatever later down the line. ('whatever' because who knows what the landscape will be 10 years from now)

Have to assume the NCAA waiver is just a formality. Can't believe it's gotten to this point without ST or the SL getting a positive response from the NCAA.

Good point.  I wouldn’t think the Summit would say anything if that wasnt the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockey will be their top sport.  MSP needs a college hockey team and the WCHA - or what’s left of it - can return to the XCel - this time with UST, Mary and Minot St.

And theoretically they will continue with the St John’s fb rivalry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember getting flack for saying St Thomas concocted being expelled.  No actual official from the MIAC actually commented on that.  UST have had their sites on the MVC all along and probably beyond.   The MVC needs more private schools like Creighton in their footprint with a big metro population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Hockey will be their top sport.  MSP needs a college hockey team and the WCHA - or what’s left of it - can return to the XCel - this time with UST, Mary and Minot St.

And theoretically they will continue with the St John’s fb rivalry.

 

Not sure what you mean by this?  Unless your taking a jab at how the Gopher programs has fallen since it left the WCHA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...