Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

The Summit should sponsor football. 

Stop applying logic, there is no place for that here. :p

I do agree however.  Hard to see it happening.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you found a way to make an exception for St. Thomas so they can transition in 5 years, I'd take them over Augie in a heartbeat. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

The Summit should sponsor football. 

It’s rather incredible that they don’t.  Five conference schools spend major dollars on it, but the Summit doesn’t have anything to do with it.  They put so much energy into getting more baseball and men’s soccer teams, which are needed for survival, and only one more fb team, those baseball and men’s soccer concerns can go away.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

 

Baseball isn't coming back to UND, Pandora's box is staying shut. 

Well, I certainly hope not but you never know.  I didn't think Ray Richards golf course would be back either, but it is on its way.  That's how idiotic the people leading this University are.  So, I wouldn't be shocked to see baseball come back.  And honestly that would be preferable to Augustana IMO......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

The Summit should sponsor football. 

 

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It’s rather incredible that they don’t.  Five conference schools spend major dollars on it, but the Summit doesn’t have anything to do with it.  They put so much energy into getting more baseball and men’s soccer teams, which are needed for survival, and only one more fb team, those baseball and men’s soccer concerns can go away.

So, back to Northern Colorado? Or Augustana with football? Who else would be a possibility? New Mexico State? Would have to go FBS for NMSU.

Montanas, Idaho, EWash... Can they really be talked out of the Big Sky? Seems really doubtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zonadub said:

 

So, back to Northern Colorado? Or Augustana with football? Who else would be a possibility? New Mexico State? Would have to go FBS for NMSU.

Montanas, Idaho, EWash... Can they really be talked out of the Big Sky? Seems really doubtful.

The question hasn’t been asked by any member of media (even in Montana), if the Montanas would prefer the Summit over the Big Sky if natural partners such as Idaho, EWU and Weber St were included too.

Back in the late 70’s, the Montanas were hot for the NoDaks to be conference rivals but were outvoted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The question hasn’t been asked by any member of media (even in Montana), if the Montanas would prefer the Summit over the Big Sky if natural partners such as Idaho, EWU and Weber St were included too.

Back in the late 70’s, the Montanas were hot for the NoDaks to be conference rivals but were outvoted.

 

Maybe because the Big Sky is the Montana's conference. They are the center of the conference. Not geographically, but in power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Maybe because the Big Sky is the Montana's conference. They are the center of the conference. Not geographically, but in power.

Rename the Summit the Big Sky Conference.  The Summit should be a mountain conference anyway.

The Montanas have longed for academic piers ever since Nevada left.  The NoDak are equally impressive academic and research institutions.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Rename the Summit the Big Sky Conference.  The Summit should be a mountain conference anyway.

The Montanas have longed for academic piers ever since Nevada left.  The NoDak are equally impressive academic and research institutions.   

WAC=FBS conference with like minded FBS and Olympic Sports

Big Sky=FCS conference of like minded FCS Football and Olympic Sports

Summit League=Olympic Sports for end of the road teams with mid-major aspirations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WAC (FBS 8 Football 10 Total)

UND

NDAC

USD

USAC

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

NMSU

Seattle

Denver

 

Big Sky (10 FCS  schools)

Idaho State

Weber State

Eastern Washinton

Southern Utah

Northern Colorado

Northern Arizona

Cal-Davis

Cal-Poly

Sacramento State

Portland State

 

Summit League (8 D1 Non-Football)

Dixie State

Metro State

UT-Rio Grande

Grand Canyon

Cal-Baptist

Oral Roberts

Utah Valley

Omaha

 

and we're done

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 25, 2019 at 11:36 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

WAC (FBS 8 Football 10 Total)

UND

NDAC

USD

SDAC

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

NMSU

Seattle

Denver

Great line-up! That would be sweet. Now get everyone to cooperate.

The new WAC could become a significant mid-major player.

However, still not convinced that UND and the rest of these new WAC schools should leave FCS. Playing football games on a Tuesday or Wednesday for the chance to play in the Idaho Potato Bowl or the Doosan Snow Bowl the second week of December doesn't seem like it will be any more significant than playing for the FCS championship.

 

Maybe someone should start a thread "SHOULD UND go FBS?"... instead of UND and The Big Sky could go FBS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

Idaho State

Boise State

Wyoming

 

Boise State isn't remotely interested in that lmao.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Boise State isn't remotely interested in that lmao.

Neither is Wyoming, tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Boise State isn't remotely interested in that lmao.

But they would have a chance to be in a FB conference with UND. No G5 conference Boise State is in or could be in would be legitimate without UND. Just ask SV...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 10:16 AM, SiouxHawkGuy said:

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

Idaho State

Boise State

Wyoming

 

2.0   :D

GWFC.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are now rumors that Wichita State will restart football.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-878731-page-4.html

With UConn leaving, the AAC becomes even more western, with the Shocker’s long time rival Tulsa, as well as SMU, Houston, Tulane, and Memphis.

WSU needs to have the same sports alignment for revenue as the other AAC schools.

It wouldn’t be an AAC football affiliate for a number of years, but it would behoove the Shocker’s to move in that direction as WSU increasingly recruits student from Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/14/cusa-athletic-directors-have-reportedly-discussed-trading-schools-with-other-leagues/

CUSA AD’s have been in talks to swap teams with other leagues.  14 member means they get short suited by the CFP, which only gives a maximum of 10 shares to G5 leagues.

The eastern seaboard schools like Charlotte, ODU and even Marshall want to ditch the Texas schools and vice versa.  Too much travel and too few natural rivals.  The SunBelt and CUSA should do go to a straight east/west alignment both with 12 teams because CUSA is no longer a power G5 conference like when it had most of the AAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This shows the extent even DIII schools will go to prevent being an independent to have a shot at an autobid..

The teams in the conference are:

Mills College (Oakland)

UC Sant Cruz Banana Slugs

Finlandia MI

Mount Mary WI

SUNY Delhi

Pratt Institute NY

Pine Manor MA

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2019/07/16/uc-santa-cruz-athletics-joins-acaa-conference-for-2019-2020-season/

The conference play will only be with the tournament at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very objective article.  The first line:  This paid piece is sponsored by Augustana University.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Very objective article.  The first line:  This paid piece is sponsored by Augustana University.

 

So no chance of journalistic mistakes or misreporting.  Triple Checked by Augie sources the December 2020 date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...