SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I'd hate playing in the Sky, but it'd be an option

I get a good chuckle every time a NDSUAAS fan makes a comment like this. It is amazing what spite will make people do or say.

Check out the last sentence of this ESPN article: http://espn.go.com/c...a-mountain-west

I was discussing this with a friend the other day. Since BSU has been mentioned as a possible football only member of the Big East, they would have to put their other sports somewhere. At this point, the BSC has to be a better option than the new southern WAC. I see Utah State ending up in the MWC in the near future. Idaho doesn't want to swallow its pride and move back to FCS, not with the success that "little brother" Boise State is having in FBS football.

The Big Sky is currently at 11 all-sport members and 13 football members. So let's offer UI and BSU non-football membership. BSU can go Big East and Idaho can stay WAC in football. That would put the BSC at 13 across the board. It still leaves room to go after 1 or 3 more all-sports members down the road.

Some Bison fans ... are throwing up thinking of Mankato and St. Cloud as possible future members.

I still throw up in my mouth when I remember that SCSU is joining the NCHC.

But Minnesota State wouldn't be a bad option to add to a conference. They have a great basketball/volleyball arena and indoor T&F facilities. Their FB stadium isn't great but would fit in the FCS. I could see them working with the Vikings to upgrade their football stadium a bit since the Vikes hold their training camp at MSU.

I would be perfectly happy if it was announced that Minnesota State would be the next full member of the Big Sky and Idaho and Boise State would be joining as non-football members.

medium_mbb%20full%20usd%20200405.jpg

medium_1O0T0094.JPG

small_Meyers%20Field%20House.jpg

There is no way that Minnesota State or St. Cloud State for that matter would take a Big Sky invite over the Summit League. Actually that brings me to the big question. This is not your opinion but what do you think the UND athletic department would do if the Summit/MVFC offer a dual membership tomorrow. I would say the U or ND would take it.

There is no way that Minnesota State or St. Cloud State for that matter would take a Big Sky invite over the Summit League. Actually that brings me to the big question. This is not your opinion but what do you think the UND athletic department would do if the Summit/MVFC offer a dual membership tomorrow. I would say the U or ND would take it.

You're dead wrong. If UND wanted Summit/MVFC membership it could have gotten it. UND loves having an identity that distinguishes it from the other Dakota schools, we are better than you and we know it! USD made a huge mistake by not joining the Big Sky and only time will tell how it will come back to haunt them.

The Big Sky is a destination conference. The Summit is a transient conference with the members looking for the exit door once they get in.

The Big Sky is stable. I'm not so sure about the Summit.

With the exodus of ORU and a nine team league, who are the travel partners? The east is pretty easy to figure out, as there are four teams there. The west.... I can see UNO with UMKC and the South Dakota schools paired. Who is NDSU's travel partner going to be? If you add another school in the west are the east schools going to complain and scramble to the exit door?

I don't see UND moving to the Summit. I would think it would be more likely, NDSU moving to the Big Sky..

I think they would say thanks but no thanks, unless there was exodus of certain members of the Big Sky, as in the Montana schools. No way that UND would downgrade to the Summit/MVFC from their current situation....................

If Douple doesn't try everything in his power to lure UND away from the Big Sky he wouldn't be doing his job IMHO. That seems like a given with the Summit transience now, and historically. I agree with Geaux, I would be shocked if UND accepted. If I'm a yote fan, I'm far more concerned about what would happen if the Big Sky offered NDSU a spot. Again, given the state of both conferences, it seems to me far more likely NDSU would accept a hypothetical Big Sky offer, than UND accepting Summit/MVFC. Not that either scenario is likely to happen.

If Douple doesn't try everything in his power to lure UND away from the Big Sky he wouldn't be doing his job IMHO. That seems like a given with the Summit transience now, and historically. I agree with Geaux, I would be shocked if UND accepted. If I'm a yote fan, I'm far more concerned about what would happen if the Big Sky offered NDSU a spot. Again, given the state of both conferences, it seems to me far more likely NDSU would accept a hypothetical Big Sky offer, than UND accepting Summit/MVFC. Not that either scenario is likely to happen.

St. Cloud was invited to the Summit BB tourney and attended. They already have a DI hockey program that was just added to a solid conference and it appears that they are moving towards shutting down the FB program. Homecoming activities were canceled due to lack of participation. It wouldn't surprise me if they are waiting for the money to be in place for the move up before anything is said. Just drop the bomb like Omaha did.

You're dead wrong. If UND wanted Summit/MVFC membership it could have gotten it. UND loves having an identity that distinguishes it from the other Dakota schools, we are better than you and we know it! USD made a huge mistake by not joining the Big Sky and only time will tell how it will come back to haunt them.

If I remember right, wasn't UND having some difficulty getting the invite because of the name situation? If UND was somehow "better" than the other 3 Dakota schools, wouldn't they want to be in the same conference as the other 3 so that they could prove it? USD did what was right for them, Joining the Summit/MVFC is a solid option. The Summit will more than likely be just fine, perhaps an even better destination without a team like ORU to win all the tournements.

Though I would feel a lot better about the future if NDSU snuck into the MVC in the next 5 years. I would like NDSU to do that over get involved with the Big Sky at all. I would like to be able to attend some road conference games. In the Summit/MVFC, I can drive to Brookings, Vermillion, or Cedar Rapids(I think thats where UNI is) without too many problems. UND fans will be flying a lot to games which isn't a huge deal but still, I like playing some relatively regional schools.

If NDSU has no options and the Summit is falling apart, Big Sky it is! But I pray that doesn't happen. I would be very sad.

In your scenario the Summit dies. Here's why: The existing Summit eastern schools see the NCC 2.0 (aka the I-29 corridor) consolidating power and they look for a better deal elsewhere.

Honestly, in this new "minus ORU" Summit, NDSU is the outlier. The better question is this: Would NDSU jump to the Big Sky if Fullerton came a'callin'. The existing Summit would love that as they'd become a bus league on I-80 and I-90.

Think of it this way:

UND (and the coat tails riding NDSU ;) ) in the Sky and USD and SDSU in the Summit. Each would get their league games and would have nearby non-conference schools to play as well.

If I remember right, wasn't UND having some difficulty getting the invite because of the name situation? If UND was somehow "better" than the other 3 Dakota schools, wouldn't they want to be in the same conference as the other 3 so that they could prove it? USD did what was right for them, Joining the Summit/MVFC is a solid option. The Summit will more than likely be just fine, perhaps an even better destination without a team like ORU to win all the tournements.

Though I would feel a lot better about the future if NDSU snuck into the MVC in the next 5 years. I would like NDSU to do that over get involved with the Big Sky at all. I would like to be able to attend some road conference games. In the Summit/MVFC, I can drive to Brookings, Vermillion, or Cedar Rapids(I think thats where UNI is) without too many problems. UND fans will be flying a lot to games which isn't a huge deal but still, I like playing some relatively regional schools.

If NDSU has no options and the Summit is falling apart, Big Sky it is! But I pray that doesn't happen. I would be very sad.

Until the Summit actually scheduled a tour/invite to Grand Forks on a Monday, UND called them on a Friday and said don't come we are being invited into the Big Sky. It was only the MVFC we were NOT invited too and had no shot since they didn't want both USD and UND.

If UND took it without the BSC knowing UND would have to pay a 1 million dollar exit fee. UND would have to tell the BSC up front either they are exploring other options or have given an invite from the Summit/MVFC.

SCSU or MSU-Mankato would take the Summit (bus trips) in a minute.

However, let me put your question to UND in these terms: Would you trade your 2012 Lincoln Navigator for a 1991 Ford Explorer?

• Upvote 3

I love 91 Ford Explorers :lol: I've been told they get great gas mileage. :whistling: That is a very good analogy. I think the Big Sky to be honest looks fairly stable. That's why it's been so appealing to me. While they've had a few members leave it's not like the what seems to be the constant shuffle of The Summit. The reality is that we all have pride, but down at the school to the south they seem to have ridiculous amounts of it. I don't ever see them considering another conference, even it would be a better choice. I just don't see their pride allowing that...in my lifetime anyway. I do think that the Big Sky should continue to look to expand, and honestly all the Dakota schools make the most sense- but pride is the thing that will stand in the way of it ever becoming reality.

According to the Summit League president the Sioux logo was never an issue for him or the league and that President Kelley asked him to make statements that it would jeopardize a possible invite. The only reason USD joined the Summit league is because they couldn't afford the Summit buy out, South Dakota is a state that is hemorrhaging from a bad economy and they couldn't afford to join the BSC at the time because of the Summit. History and hockey has taught us that Sioux fans travel very well and our alumni are spread evenly throughout the footprint of the BSC, so we should be represented nicely at football and basketball games. Don't kid yourself, NDSU would give it's left nut to be in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

According to the Summit League president the Sioux logo was never an issue for him or the league and that President Kelley asked him to make statements that it would jeopardize a possible invite. The only reason USD joined the Summit league is because they couldn't afford the Summit buy out, South Dakota is a state that is hemorrhaging from a bad economy and they couldn't afford to join the BSC at the time because of the Summit. History and hockey has taught us that Sioux fans travel very well and our alumni are spread evenly throughout the footprint of the BSC, so we should be represented nicely at football and basketball games. Don't kid yourself, NDSU would give it's left nut to be in the Big Sky.

We are not in the Sky yet but I can't wait for Saturday's game at Northern Colorado! Last year I was at the CC series in Colorado Springs and at least 40% of the building was Sioux fans. UND's alumni support is very impressive and the Big Sky is a great fit in that regard. Contrary to popular belief but UND grads live in other places than Minneapolis. There is even a bar in Denver that shows all UND hockey games! (I have yet to meet a NDSU grad out here btw)

Interesting article from the past:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/article_aac0f286-ac53-5d73-874e-630666e366ed.html

At a 2003 meeting, both North Dakota State and South Dakota State were told the league had no interest in expanding east.

Last week, Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said the league is conducting an internal evaluation of available schools that includes NDSU, South Dakota State, Southern Utah and Northern Colorado.

"I was literally taken aback by the strength of what he said," Taylor said.

Fullerton was on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

NDSU spokesman Dave Wahlberg said the university would welcome the chance to make a presentation to the Big Sky.

Such an opportunity, though, is not likely at the August meeting.

"We think we have a lot to offer as a university to any athletic conference out there," said Wahlberg.

Bison fans talking about why NDSU should be in the Big Sky...2003!!!!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?5890-A-reason-to-have-NDSU-in-the-Big-Sky

12-06-2003 01:28 AM#16

icon1.png Re: A reason to have NDSU in the Big Sky

I agree with IowaBison. And the fact that NDSU and SDSU have much more in common with Montana State, Montana, and Idaho State then Valpariso, Oral Roberts, and Centerary.

I am in favor of the "Great West"/Mid Con leagues if it is the last resort but I still think the Big Sky would be the ideal situation (at least in my opinion) for all sports.

WHAT!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

somebison Guest

icon1.png Re: A reason to have NDSU in the Big Sky

Fargo is a growing city.. but not one I would classify as "big". Institutionally we fit much better with the Big Sky national research university in a smaller state, as opposed to regional university/college in a larger state. Th
e knock against the big sky is travel (not cost.. we would be flying all over anyway) for fans.
Mid-con/MVC/ Gateway/ schools are not a great distance away from the Twin Cities (a large alumni pop.) However...
Institutionally
the Big Sky is a much better fit.

Did he just say the travel for fans is the knock NOT travel costs for the school. WOW how things changed when we got accepted.

• Upvote 1

NDSU should have been in the Big Sky in 2003. Fullerton or the Presidents were too focused on Geography and not focused on institutions as they apparently are now. No one can tell me with a straight face the UNC has more to offer a FCS conference than NDSU.

I dont begrudge NDSU fans one bit for their apparent shift in stance from then. If you recall the Gateway Football conference was a "no shot in hell" kind of situation in 2003 and for a time the Sky appeared to be the only legit long term option. Its all about timing and whose ox is being gored.

NDSU is happy with their situation and so is UND. This will all play out one way or another over the next few years. I just hope that pettiness doesnt drive decisions in GF or Fargo.

NDSU should have been in the Big Sky in 2003. Fullerton or the Presidents were too focused on Geography and not focused on institutions as they apparently are now. No one can tell me with a straight face the UNC has more to offer a FCS conference than NDSU.

I dont begrudge NDSU fans one bit for their apparent shift in stance from then. If you recall the Gateway Football conference was a "no shot in hell" kind of situation in 2003 and for a time the Sky appeared to be the only legit long term option. Its all about timing and whose ox is being gored.

NDSU is happy with their situation and so is UND. This will all play out one way or another over the next few years. I just hope that pettiness doesnt drive decisions in GF or Fargo.

What got me is how we get slammed almost everyday from NDSU about travel and just basically about being in the Big Sky where 8 years ago they wanted in the Big Sky so bad and travel was never an issue for the school. Now that ORU is leaving they are slamming them too with idiotic statements:

http://www.bisonvill...tomorrow/page11

ORU is even less central to the league because, unlike UNI, they aren't rivals to anybody in the league. It's not like ORU was winning tournament games. If teams in the conference are satisfied with getting a fairly OK RPI and losing a first round game, then, you know what? The league can do that just fine without ORU.

ORU went to the dance in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Besides NDSU's 1 year and Oakland there hasn't been any other Summit member since IUPUI in 2003 in the Dance. Last Summit team to win a first round game (not no play in game (Oakland 2005) was Valpo in 1998.

What got me is how we get slammed almost everyday from NDSU about travel and just basically about being in the Big Sky where 8 years ago they wanted in the Big Sky so bad and travel was never an issue for the school. Now that ORU is leaving they are slamming them too with idiotic statements:

http://www.bisonvill...tomorrow/page11

ORU went to the dance in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Besides NDSU's 1 year and Oakland there hasn't been any other Summit member since IUPUI in 2003 in the Dance. Last Summit team to win a first round game (not no play in game (Oakland 2005) was Valpo in 1998.

All fans do it. I bet I could dig up some equally moronic statements from UND fans about Minny and Wisco and Big Ten hockey.