SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

As long as you, Goon, and the trolls continue to throw personal insults my way, they will be returned.

You as a group always begin the insults.

Really, you insist on saying that all of these teams are going FBS without any evidence and you post articles that don't say anything close to that. You get called on it and then turn into a snowflake.

It wasn't even that bad of an attack. And I quote, "He pulls the unprinted facts out of his..."

Grow up and stop being a big baby. 

snowflake.jpeg

The Summit has a vicious problem starting at them: 

Lose Fort Wayne and lose the BB autobid (because you take a double hit: you no longer have enough baseball or mens soccer schools). 
Lose Western Illinois and lose the BB autobid (because you take a double hit: you no longer have enough baseball or mens soccer schools).
The same goes for Oral Roberts and Omaha. 

Yes, any of those four schools jump ship and the BB autobid goes away.
Any of those four cut baseball or mens soccer and the BB autobid goes away. 

Fort Wayne would jump to the Horizon the heartbeat they were invited. Western would go to the OVC just as quickly. And Oral Roberts would have to at least ponder a conference that didn't involve the Dakotas in months ending in Y. 

The Summit would be well-served to bring football in-house and thus eliminate the need to sponsor soccer and baseball to keep the BB autobid (as football would serve in their place). The Summit will have five FCS schools come fall 2020. It just takes one more (assuming Western still in). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Lose Fort Wayne and lose the BB autobid (because you take a double hit: you no longer have enough baseball or mens soccer schools). 
Lose Western Illinois and lose the BB autobid (because you take a double hit: you no longer have enough baseball or mens soccer schools).

Fort Wayne would jump to the Horizon the heartbeat they were invited. Western would go to the OVC just as quickly. And Oral Roberts would have to at least ponder a conference that didn't involve the Dakotas in months ending in Y. 

The Summit would be well-served to bring football in-house and thus eliminate the need to sponsor soccer and baseball to keep the BB autobid (as football would serve in their place). The Summit will have five FCS schools come fall 2020. It just takes one more (assuming Western still in). 

You're going to get a lot of pushback from the other Dakota schools if you push for a Summit Football conference. 

Is this even a possibility? 

As wonderful as the MVFC may be, the loss of the Summit BB autobid would be devastating. 

Summit League sponsored football is possible if the schools see the need and have the will. The Summit historically doesn't see "needs" until they are staring them in the face. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So Kennedy has got UND into a world of hurt, unless the total plan hasn’t been laid out yet.  At least one school and preferably more with fb have to be added.  Been saying that there is a plan but that is getting serious pushback by the trolls and the usual haters.  Kennedy knows the lay of the land more than anyone here, even though the usual posters say the Summit would never go further west.  Douple may be reactionary but Kennedy is paid to be a strategic visionary.

Augustana joining just pushes forward the day of an Summit inferno, as IPFW and others would rebel sooner against a minor DII school, resulting loss of an autobid, because no Summit school wants them as they degrade the conference academically, don’t create national awareness, don’t have a media that isn’t already in the Summit, and currently doesn’t have academics or research or professional schools that matter.  An Augie addition further divides the Summit instead of helping glue it together better.  Conferences only add schools that an existing 70% or higher think will strengthen it (or one important school threatens to leave if they don’t get their way).

The MVFC doesn’t pay out anything.  Dakota schools now depend on the Summit for their DI existence.  The MVFC will be sacrificed to keep the Summit autobid but this time with football.  

18 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Kennedy has got UND into a world of hurt, unless the total plan hasn’t been laid out yet.

I hope your predictions come true someday, but as I've hinted at before, University presidents aren't as smart or thoughtful as you give them credit for. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I hope your predictions come true someday, but as I've hinted at before, University presidents aren't as smart or thoughtful as you give them credit for. 

The wheels for the move to the Summit/MVFC were in motion long before Kennedy ever stepped foot on campus. He gave the final push/blessing but it had been a work in progress long before that. For whatever reason, there is apparently faith in Douple.

At some point, other than the pride of the MVC teams, I'm not sure why the Summit just doesn't take over the MVFC management. 

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

At some point, other than the pride of the MVC teams, I'm not sure why the Summit just doesn't take over the MVFC management

MVFC teams' (10) primary conferences: 

Missouri Valley: 5
Summit: 4
Horizon: 1

There's your answer. 

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Augustana joining just pushes forward the day of an Summit inferno, as IPFW and others would rebel sooner against a minor DII school, resulting loss of an autobid, because no Summit school wants them as they degrade the conference academically, don’t create national awareness, don’t have a media that isn’t already in the Summit, and currently doesn’t have academics or research or professional schools that matter.  An Augie addition further divides the Summit instead of helping glue it together better.  Conferences only add schools that an existing 70% or higher think will strengthen it (or one important school threatens to leave if they don’t get their way).

There's only one way Augie makes sense and that's in a 12 BB / 9 FB conference alignment. I say that because that's optimal for scheduling; you get 22 conference BB games and 8 conference FB games. But I believe Augie'd drive away Fort Wayne, WIU, ORU. 

So, in that Summit world I'd see the "I-29 Six": UND, NDSU, SDSU, Augie, USD, Omaha.I'd see Denver staying. 

RIght there is 7BB/4FB. So you'd need 5FB and 5BB. And preferably in a geographic cluster. 

How about ... Idaho, Montana, Montana State, EWU, and Weber State? DU would be part of the western cluster. 

There's 12BB/9FB.

Done. 

20 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The wheels for the move to the Summit/MVFC were in motion long before Kennedy ever stepped foot on campus. He gave the final push/blessing but it had been a work in progress long before that. For whatever reason, there is apparently faith in Douple.

At some point, other than the pride of the MVC teams, I'm not sure why the Summit just doesn't take over the MVFC management. 

Never ever said Kennedy was solely responsible for moving to the Summit.  The wheels have been turning ever since Roeback gave an exit interview when he said UND will be in a WAC-like league (FBS) by 2020.  Kennedy greased the wheels for that to happen (which I didn’t understand at the time) and dropped WIH and M&W swimming.   Schafer actually did more in his short term by dropping baseball (which makes the Summit in the short term untenable) and men’s golf with conditions.  Schafer also IMHO called out NDSU’s shenanigans about blocking our membership in the MVFC, which now doesn’t seem to have any complaints about going above 10 members.  Fargo media insisted that the MVFC was dead set against going beyond 10 for years because that is story the NDSU brass spread.

IMHO, the Montanas wanted more research and schools with endowments like them to go FBS eventually.  They rescued us from having to almost destroy football by having to placing it in the Southland, which was NDSU’s Chapman and Taylor’s plan all along.

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Who butters YSU's bread? I'd guess the MVC teams moreso than the Summit. :( 

Nobody is a true “friend” of YSU except OSU backers because of Tressel, because University Presidents don’t want to associate with them as their low admission scores are probably worse than Vo Techs.  YSU has been knocking on the door of the MAC for years, but six Ohio schools are already in that.  YSU used to be a Summit member and they got an invite which they took immediately.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:52 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Since I was mentioned, Goon as a writer is one of the boringest bloggers ever that won’t ever inject his personal thoughts into a sports commentary unless it’s about keeping things the same, like losing and tieing Bemidji St.

That’s needed for reporting news, not giving sports commentary.  It’s like getting black and white only as a sports color commentator.

Ya, Goon!  You’re so boring you won’t even make anything up to pass off as fact.  I mean, come on.

• Upvote 3

http://www.seawanhakapress.com/2018/10/16/liu-blindsided-by-merging-athletic-departments/

The complicated job of combining athletics at two branch campuses, one DI and one DII, an hour apart under one DI program.  Newly elevated FCS, men’s lacrosse and probably a new men’s hockey program upcoming.  By combining them, the net costs might go down, even with the program upgrades.

So Metro State of Denver might go DI according to their own press release.  DU opposed Metro St changing its name to Denver St, so the Summit probably isn’t in the running.

https://roadrunnersathletics.com/news/2018/10/25/general-msu-denver-athletics-to-conduct-ncaa-division-i-feasibility-study.aspx

Metro State has upgraded their outdoors fields, has over 24 k students, but is mostly commuter and doesn’t have an endowment to speak off.  But it’s almost a perfect fit for Summit sports.

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Metro State of Denver might go DI according to their own press release.  DU opposed Metro St changing its name to Denver St, so the Summit probably isn’t in the running.

https://roadrunnersathletics.com/news/2018/10/25/general-msu-denver-athletics-to-conduct-ncaa-division-i-feasibility-study.aspx

Metro State has upgraded their outdoors fields, has over 24 k students, but is mostly commuter and doesn’t have an endowment to speak off.  But it’s almost a perfect fit for Summit sports.

The WAC invited them to do a study as it says in the article. 

18 hours ago, southpaw said:

The WAC invited them to do a study as it says in the article. 

Tarleton State was said to be slated for the WAC last year but nothing happened.

https://tarleton.edu/division1/documents/collegiate-consulting-division-i-fcs-benchmarking-study-march-2018.pdf

Metro State has a very small athletic budget of under $6 million.  They have built up their facilites nicely though in downtown Denver.

The WAC is just a fake screen.  Tarleton St will be a Southland conference school replacing Sam Houston and Lamar when they go to the WAC.  Metro St will be No Colo’s travel partner when the new low budget Big Sky loses schools to the Summit and WAC.

Standby for the coming hissy fits.