SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

35 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Given the movement towards soccer as a sport at the high school level, I think it is only a matter of time before one of the Dakota 4 adds a men's team.

If UND was ever in a position to add a sport, that's the one I want them to add. 

College soccer doesn’t bring big crowds or much talent, as talented youngsters go directly to MLS development teams.  Even soccer fans don’t go to the games like MLS teams, as there is a big shindig about getting an expansion MLS team now for cities now.  Even the SEC doesn’t sponsor men’s soccer (only Kentucky and South Carolina have it) and thy have a cable network that consumes much programming and provides mega dollars.  NCAA men’s soccer just doesn’t have drawing power anywhere near like college football.  Lacrosse is a much more likely addition for fb playing schools if adding a sport.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kiyoat said:

I don't mind the idea of merging with the Big Sky, but I'm not sure what their motivation would be to do that.  I suppose you could say that they have extended offers to all of the Dakota 4 in the past, but would they want the rest of the Summit?  Maybe not.  We would have to join them and leave the Summit.

Denver and ORU have one foot out the door anyway.  Fort Wayne would be better served in the Horizon.  Omaha wishes they were in the MVC.  That leaves WIU.  Financials may force their hand into the OVC.

I guess I could see that happening, other than having to lose the SLT in Sioux Falls.  Maybe they would do a rotating neutral site between Boise and SF?  That would be interesting.  Travel partners for a "Northern Plains" division: MT/MT St, UNC/Denver, UND/NDSU, USD/SDSU.  Or switch Omaha for Denver.

Big Sky would go from 11 full members to 16.  perfect for 2 divisions.  One big negative would be travel costs would go up, but UND has already experienced that and survived.

The league won’t merge, as it would effectively give each school about half the NCAA dance income.  President are smarter than that as the bids will get maximized, not minimized..

Also believe that Denver and Omaha are fully in as UND is now a part of the Summit, as they all have hockey as an important part of their budgets.  Both Denver and Omaha would need to be Creighton or Wichita St level basketball before they get other conference offers that tear up that hockey partnership, even though it is not in the Summit.

The Big Sky is too big, but yet the Central Washington President is saying a western DI bid is upcoming in 2020.so they are expanding their fb stadium, which is happening.  Only the Big Sky has FCS in the West that could offer CWU a spot.  The Montanas, Idaho and Weber St have had the preeminent athletic and academic programs in the Big Sky and they are tired of being associated with relatively weak academic programs and with commuter and suitcase schools.  Put on a President cap and that’s what the answer is for the Summit.  EWU has been good athletically, but has no alumni base financial support so CWU is the next best thing to Montana or Idaho.

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Big Sky is too big, but yet the Central Washington President is saying a western DI bid is upcoming in 2020.

Source?

1 hour ago, Goon said:

There isn't one. He's using an Ouija board. 

Snopes would grade his claim as mostly false. On Jan 17 of this year, a freelance HS scout from the northwest claimed in a tweet that the CWU president announced that the university intended to become a "DI FCS capacity school by 2020-2021". When asked by others for a source, the scout didn't reply.

So two big problems. First, we have no confirmation that the president actually said this. The tweet mentions a video interview and a press release. But because the scout didn't reply, we don't know who the interview was supposedly with and can't confirm it. And there's no record I can find of the press release. The current CWU website doesn't go back that far, and a google news search of January doesn't turn up anything. You'd think something this big would have caused some ripples that google news would have picked up.

Second, the president is only claimed to have said to be going for DI FCS capacity. There's a big difference between being ready for FCS and anticipating an invite is coming. Volley will likely claim that why would a president set a date without having insider knowledge of an invite. I would counter by suggesting that a big goal needs a time target or it's just a wish, not a goal. And that 2020 is both a nice round number and something somewhat achievable.

Why might CWU be considering this? Well, they need a backup plan. With Humboldt State dropping football next year(it was only confirmed in July, but it was being talked about in Jan), that only leaves four FB teams left in the GNAC. There are some mild stadium upgrades going on now* that you can infer to mean that CWU plans to keep football. So something's gotta give. Either the GNAC needs more FB teams, or CWU needs to change division. I suspect their preferred choice is to get more DII FB teams, but they can't count on that.

So, was Volley truthful? Not really. As is his MO, he stretched a questionable nugget of info past its breaking point and twisted the truth into a falsehood. IMO, of course. 

*There's a $10.4M project going on, but it's mostly just a refresh. The football stadium is getting new turf and lights, plus some minor amenity upgrades like renovated entry gates, bathrooms, and box office. The stadium upgrades will allow soccer and rugby to use the facility(expanding the field size by removing the surrounding track). The rest of the project is a new outdoor T&F facility with a recreational field in the infield.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NW_Spotlight/status/953756990056022016

http://www.cwu.edu/north-campus/

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Where is our other troll /curmudgeon (bizon73) to weigh(t) in?  

The Eastern Washington board has much more details for the illiterates like Goon.  EWU fans say the CWU President said a DI invite is coming via video.  Didn’t remember the exact details but the EWU board has them.

https://bigskyfans.com/eagles/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4793

SiouxVolley in a nutshell. 

21 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Where is our other troll /curmudgeon (bizon73) to weigh(t) in?  

The Eastern Washington board has much more details for the illiterates like Goon.  EWU fans say the CWU President said a DI invite is coming via video.  Didn’t remember the exact details but the EWU board has them.

https://bigskyfans.com/eagles/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4793

Nope, no more details because the EWU board is using the same source. They link to the same tweet from the scout, and a news article about the same stadium plans. So far, everything comes back to that same questionable tweet.

4 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Nope, no more details because the EWU board is using the same source. They link to the same tweet from the scout, and a news article about the same stadium plans. So far, everything comes back to that same questionable tweet.

CWU is growing ever larger because UW and WWU have enrollment limits and Evergreen St is in free fall because parent don’t want to send their kids to a SJW camp.

https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/education/record-freshman-streak-ends-but-central-washington-university-keeps-growing/article_f8fa9960-bc8e-11e8-924b-df3ddc8b32ab.html

CWU either needs to go back to NAIA or go up to DI to save football.  DII just doesn’t have schools on the west coast to support it.  Guess that’s why CWU is putting money in their football stadium because it will be dropped as a sport.  The only reason that EWU got in the Sky earlier was because it is near Spokane where tons of Griz and Vandals live.  EWU and CWU are basically the same except for location.

No use talking to you as you believe NDSU and Bresciani that NDSU will be at 18,000 soon.  That’s the only change that you foresee.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I got in trouble once for pointing that out.
What's the difference if you play conference games in MT, CO, ID, WA and non-conference in IA, NE, ND, SD or vice versa. 
Either way you had to travel to all of them. 

I thought that myself. So what was the REAL reason for the move?

14 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Schools want to align with their academic peers.  Not WIU, or even Missouri St, UNI, SIU, Ind St etc.  

The only schools that properly academically align with UND and NDSU are further west.  MWC and Big 12 schools are steps above the leagues like the Summit and Big Sky.

20 minutes ago, bison73 said:

It did opened the door to do something else in addition.