SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

But they probably would loathe to affiliate with the Summit having WIU and IPFW in it, because their issues with the Summit are well known to AD’s or would be just with phone calls.

At least one of the sports need to have a full contingent of six teams from the conference.  The other one can have four teams plus two affiliates.  Some leagues have more affiliates, but they already meet the autobid need with other sports.  The NCAA has issued a ruling on this issue and is rather involved.  The Summit will face this if any of IPFW, WIU, Omaha or ORU leave.

Interesting.  What issues?  Texas would extend our footprint even farther, but if some are considering Grand Canyon or New Mexico State, I guess you do what you have to.

Definitely sounds involved.  I hope Douple is on top of it, but to me he seems a little too reactive rather than proactive on the subject.  He needs to squash the perception that the Summit is vulnerable, even if it is only perception.  JMO

2 hours ago, kiyoat said:

Interesting.  What issues?  Texas would extend our footprint even farther, but if some are considering Grand Canyon or New Mexico State, I guess you do what you have to.

Definitely sounds involved.  I hope Douple is on top of it, but to me he seems a little too reactive rather than proactive on the subject.  He needs to squash the perception that the Summit is vulnerable, even if it is only perception.  JMO

IPFW has been flirting with the Horizon for years and wants out of the Summit like Oakland, Valparaiso, and IUPUI and almost all other Horizon teams before them.   It’s extremely naive like most SDSU fans seem to think that IPFW is happy now.  WIU is experiencing major budget and enrollment issues.  Douple made the stability  perception issue even worse by moving the HQ to Sioux Falls. 

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

IPFW has been flirting with the Horizon for years and wants out of the Summit like Oakland, Valparaiso, and IUPUI and almost all other Horizon teams before them.   It’s extremely naive like most SDSU fans seem to think that IPFW is happy now.  WIU is experiencing major budget and enrollment issues.  Douple made the stability  perception issue even worse by moving the HQ to Sioux Falls. 

Gotcha.  THOSE issues.  I thought you meant the Texas schools have had an issue with WIU and UPFW.  As far as WIU's financial problems, you could say the same about most public schools in the states of Illinois and Missouri, including UMKC.  It's concerning, no doubt, but I don't get the feeling WIU wants to go anywhere else.  They are a conference founder, and aren't as much of a geographic outlier as Ft Wayne.  We need them for football if we are ever going to break away from the MVFC (or just for voting leverage)

With Ft Wayne, I honestly wouldn't blame them for wanting into the Horizon.  Their travel budget alone makes that move worthwhile.  

32 minutes ago, kiyoat said:

Gotcha.  THOSE issues.  I thought you meant the Texas schools have had an issue with WIU and UPFW.  As far as WIU's financial problems, you could say the same about most public schools in the states of Illinois and Missouri, including UMKC.  It's concerning, no doubt, but I don't get the feeling WIU wants to go anywhere else.  They are a conference founder, and aren't as much of a geographic outlier as Ft Wayne.  We need them for football if we are ever going to break away from the MVFC (or just for voting leverage)

With Ft Wayne, I honestly wouldn't blame them for wanting into the Horizon.  Their travel budget alone makes that move worthwhile.  

WIU is entering into Chicago St range five when it was comparatively healthier.  The WIU President has been interviewing for lesser positions elsewhere because he knows it’s a sinking ship.  WIU Fb may want the MVFC, but WIU can’t afford to be flying to Summit games when the whole league has been shifting West.  Back ten years ago, Douple said the Summit wouldn’t consider Denver when they were given an ultimatum to leave by the Sun Belt.  Things change, and WIU has certainly gone downhill and WIU has a pittance of an endowment to tide them over. The OVC is the bus league they need.  IPFW (soon PUFW) is in an entirely healthier situation- FW is building a new downtown arena and they want to showcase it in the Horizon.

The Missouri schools have benefitted from the mess that Illinois higher education is at the directionals.  Mo out state tuition is similar to Illinois in state tuition.  UMKC is a much different and healthier situation than at Illinois directionals.

Augustana plays for the DII baseball championship tomorrow.  They have mowed down the field in both regionals and finals without a loss.  Some SDSU fans insist that Augie will get a Summit League invite now, as they won a DII championship in basketball too (can’t remember if it was men’s or women’s ).  All this is a bunch of message board malarkey.  It’s already too late for a DII to DI invite now.

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d2

On 6/1/2018 at 11:02 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Augustana plays for the DII baseball championship tomorrow.  They have mowed down the field in both regionals and finals without a loss.  Some SDSU fans insist that Augie will get a Summit League invite now, as they won a DII championship in basketball too (can’t remember if it was men’s or women’s ).  All this is a bunch of message board malarkey.  It’s already too late for a DII to DI invite now.

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d2

So they couldnt get a waiver? You know like the one you claimed UND was going to get?

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Krabbenhoft talks a good game for Augie going to the Summit. Later, he talks of creating a 10 year plan.  It’s already too late for a DII to get invited to DI.  Bisonville and SD boards can calm down. 

http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/sanford-ceo-kelby-krabbenhoft-on-why-augie-would-succeed-in-div-i/#.WxqVPWCCkTM.twitter

I don't think Augie was targeting this year, they seem to be gearing up more for next year or a bit later based on what Kelby is talking about. 

Sanford Health has donated $5 million to endow MSU-Mankato’s men’s basketball.

http://www.msumavericks.com/news/2016/12/7/general-minnesota-state-athletics-receives-5-million-gift-commitment-for-scholarship-endowment-from-sanford-health.aspx?path=general

its almost as if the Summit should change its name to the Sanford Health Conference, as Sanford seems tome trying to buy the way in for Augie and Mankato.  They already nearly own USD and SDSU and have much influence at NDSU.

46 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I wouldn't mind bringing in Mankato, at least they would bring a MN school into the fold. 

Augie is nothing but a parasite. 

Why not offer to switch IPFW for UWGB for no cost?  Offer to help UWGB with scheduling if they add hockey.  Green Bay would be an outlier for the Horizon if Milwaukee gets in the MVC and IPFW is right in the center of the Horizon.  

But you never hear any viable proposals from the Summit as Douple doesn’t have vision.  Don’t need more DII teams as that signifies the Summit League is a bottom feeder to even recruits..

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Why not offer to switch IPFW for UWGB for no cost?  Offer to help UWGB with scheduling if they add hockey.  Green Bay would be an outlier for the Horizon if Milwaukee gets in the MVC and IPFW is right in the center of the Horizon.  

But you never hear any viable proposals from the Summit as Douple doesn’t have vision.  Don’t need more DII teams as that signifies the Summit League is a bottom feeder to even recruits..

I agree Douple lacks vision in pretty much every area. He has pretty much lucked into being in the right time and situation with the Dakota schools and he is milking it for all it is worth. Going along with this Augie farce is taking it to far. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I agree Douple lacks vision in pretty much every area. He has pretty much lucked into being in the right time and situation with the Dakota schools and he is milking it for all it is worth. Going along with this Augie farce is taking it to far. 

If I was President of IPFW, WIU, or ORU, would strategically leave in a split second if had a decent offer (IPFW to Horizon, WIU to Horizon or OVC, and ORU to WAC).  Those are so much better spots for them.  Douple and local sport writers continue to think they are perfectly happy.  That’s incompetence of the highest order.

A poster on a realignment board insists Air Force will be joining the American for football in two years.

The question was raised where would they go for Olympic sports.  The MVC has rejected them in the past.  The Summit League could be a viable home.  Even have Denver as a viable travel partner.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, FargoBison said:

I wouldn't mind bringing in Mankato, at least they would bring a MN school into the fold. 

Augie is nothing but a parasite. 

Mankato's FB stadium is about 50 years old, so it would be an excuse to....

Actually, the Iron Lady said it best about adding any NSIC school to the Summit: No... No... No

ChubbyPiercingIslandcanary-max-1mb.gif

On 4/26/2018 at 11:25 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Chaves isn’t going to reveal Kennedy’s total vision to you.  Are you kidding.

I was wrong on the Summit because I didn't think two FBS leagues would be birthed out of the WAC remnants.  I’ve admitted that I was wrong but you keep harping on it.

IPFW, ORU and W Illinois are not schools for UND to associate with.  That was my point that never sinks into your skull.  People in athletic departments are clueless what will happen about this on order from the Presidents, but you take words from people like Southpaw’s position as some sort of gospel.

A WAC will be realigned soon and the Summit moves will follow.  By July 1st.

That july 1st deadline is coming up

IPFW is rebranding it’s name to PU-FW by July 1st and it’s Mastondon logo to blue with Purdue’s black and gold.  Their rebranding will be complete when they get into the Horizon League, as they are moving into a new downtown Fort Wayne arena.  The Fort Wayne President will accept an offer from the Horizon in one second and the Summit will be endangered again if it doesn’t get a school with baseball right away.

http://www.wane.com/sports/purdue-fort-wayne-sticks-with-mastodons-in-athletics-branding/1247217621

On 6/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, SiouxVolley said:

IPFW is rebranding it’s name to PU-FW by July 1st and it’s Mastondon logo to blue with Purdue’s black and gold.  Their rebranding will be complete when they get into the Horizon League, as they are moving into a new downtown Fort Wayne arena.  The Fort Wayne President will accept an offer from the Horizon in one second and the Summit will be endangered again if it doesn’t get a school with baseball right away.

http://www.wane.com/sports/purdue-fort-wayne-sticks-with-mastodons-in-athletics-branding/1247217621

No big deal, inevitable and good.  Climb down from the ledge.

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Just  read  the Big Ten Network  will distribute 51 million ...PER school this year.....no way will they share that with  any school who would become an affiliate member in any sport..

nor should they...und would negotiate their own tv deal but instead of airing games against scsu, denver, duluth, and miami they would be selling games against notre dame, minny, wisconsin, and michigan....