SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

36 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Auggie isn't small and crappy compared to just the P5 and G5. It's small and crappy compared to the rest of the summit, the schools you're suggesting allow it to join them. Its enrollment is minuscule, it receives no state appropriation, and it doesn't have a legitimate endowment to make up for it. It has no business even being discussed as a potential summit member.

Good points.But they probably could draw 6000 for a D1 Basketball game.

54 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Auggie isn't small and crappy compared to just the P5 and G5. It's small and crappy compared to the rest of the summit, the schools you're suggesting allow it to join them. Its enrollment is minuscule, it receives no state appropriation, and it doesn't have a legitimate endowment to make up for it. It has no business even being discussed as a potential summit member.

Crappy? Dollars cure that. NDSU has had that tag by some for decades.Dollars cure that to.

5 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

Sanford isn't paying for the Frost renovation. Where do you get this stuff? The reason people rip on you is that you sit at your computer and make things up, then post them as fact. T Denny cares about one thing and one thing only. His name being on buildings. He could give a rats butt about what SDSU does in regards to Augustana. 

As for Augie. I suggest you listen to the interviews again. She didn't deny D1, she didn't confirm it. In fact, when hounded about the subject she stated, more then once. They will look into again (they did so 12 years ago and found it did not work) and make a decision based on facts. She stated very clearly that they are happy at D2, and that a lot of their boosters like Augie being D2 because they can compete. Translation, "we sucked in the old NCC and if we move up we could very well suck again". Which would kill their athletic department. 

Stop trying to push your agenda on other schools and administrators. Stop playing games with words and stop pretending you have any idea what is going on. 

One of the bigger BSers on another board and you want to throw accusations around here.  You’ve said UND doesn’t deserve to be DI because it likes hockey too much, should be DII still and isn’t nigh falutin’ like the XDSUs.  You are nothing but a bison troll.

I asked on another board if SDSU and USD had part of their renovation projects finance by Sanford.   You didn’t respond.  No matter what, the loss of Sanford and companies donations and advertisements would hit the SD schools hard.  It would be a big blow to SDSU pride if Augie moved up.  You’re starting to make everyone here an Augie fan.  People can do want they want with their money.  Sanford would make hard core enemies with hard core SDSU fans by donating to Augie just as Engelstad is hated by the bison Nazis.

• Like 2

With UND winning football games at the Fargo Dome in the 90s they picked up the pace. Had SU won all the games in the 90s they would have still had the same plan. Distance themselves from UND get to  20000 in enrollmment and go FBS. When these guys meet in Fargo they look around at what's happening in FM they are confident in the fact that we can do this.

i'm sure Sioux Falls has that same group of guys that wants bigger better things in Sioux Falls. That group that makes most of the decisions there I wonder where they went to college. These guys have a plan. I think they would love D1 Basketball at Augustana.

12 hours ago, moser53 said:

With UND winning football games at the Fargo Dome in the 90s they picked up the pace. Had SU won all the games in the 90s they would have still had the same plan. Distance themselves from UND get to  20000 in enrollmment and go FBS. When these guys meet in Fargo they look around at what's happening in FM they are confident in the fact that we can do this.

i'm sure Sioux Falls has that same group of guys that wants bigger better things in Sioux Falls. That group that makes most of the decisions there I wonder where they went to college. These guys have a plan. I think they would love D1 Basketball at Augustana.

Maybe even more than one strong Good Old Boys Club plus a Philanthropist.

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

One of the bigger BSers on another board and you want to throw accusations around here.  You’ve said UND doesn’t deserve to be DI because it likes hockey too much, should be DII still and isn’t nigh falutin’ like the XDSUs.  You are nothing but a bison troll.

I asked on another board if SDSU and USD had part of their renovation projects finance by Sanford.   You didn’t respond.  No matter what, the loss of Sanford and companies donations and advertisements would hit the SD schools hard.  It would be a big blow to SDSU pride if Augie moved up.  You’re starting to make everyone here an Augie fan.  People can do want they want with their money.  Sanford would make hard core enemies with hard core SDSU fans by donating to Augie just as Engelstad is hated by the bison Nazis.

It's not just that though, Sanford would take a huge hit financially.  How is it going to look when Sanford throws $100 million plus dollars at, what will be viewed as, essentially, buying a university?  The people in South Dakota won't look to kindly upon that.  They especially won't look too kindly when they get their medical bill from Sanford.  People will make the straight line conclusion that they are getting gouged on healthcare costs so that it can be spent on a pet project.  Whether any of that is true or not that is how it will play out, and perception is reality.  Avera Hospitals will be right there waiting to pick up the estranged customers.  This has bad optics written all over it and that is another reason it should not happen.

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

It's not just that though, Sanford would take a huge hit financially.  How is it going to look when Sanford throws $100 million plus dollars at, what will be viewed as, essentially, buying a university?  The people in South Dakota won't look to kindly upon that.  They especially won't look too kindly when they get their medical bill from Sanford.  People will make the straight line conclusion that they are getting gouged on healthcare costs so that it can be spent on a pet project.  Whether any of that is true or not that is how it will play out, and perception is reality.  Avera Hospitals will be right there waiting to pick up the estranged customers.  This has bad optics written all over it and that is another reason it should not happen.

So insurance companies will not send folks to Sanford Health because they are miffed over Sanford donating part of his personal fortune to Augie?  More crazy tales from SDSU / USD backers who don't want it to happen.   Healthcare does not consist of exclusive consumer choices like you guys insist.  Both fan bases are panicking out of fear.

12 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Don't know how your insurance works but I have my choice of where I want to go, both of them are in my network. 

Bet you and other hardcore SD fans may try not to go to Sanford, but any Augie person would do the opposite.  It would not have any effect on Sanford Health’s business.   Next are you USD and SDSU fans going to boycott Sanford Center and the SLT?  That would be hilarious.  Boycott anything with Sanford in its name, like your new arena on campus.  He has given toward many projects in the state but you are singling out one that you hate so all his gifts should be hated?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Mack Brown will be leading the charge for UTRGV football.  An announcement could come next week.

http://riograndeguardian.com/anderson-utrgvs-football-program-feasibility-study-set-to-be-released/

The school has nearly 30k enrollment and projected to become much larger.

Edinburgh has a new 9700 seat stadium for Houston Dynamo’s minor league team, and there was talk that it would be expanded to 24k if UTRGV had football.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/article_3cb45ab6-100f-11e7-aa77-83507f81e400.html

56 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Looks like Mack Brown will be leading the charge for UTRGV football.  An announcement could come next week.

http://riograndeguardian.com/anderson-utrgvs-football-program-feasibility-study-set-to-be-released/

The school has nearly 30k enrollment and projected to become much larger.

Edinburgh has a new 9700 seat stadium for Houston Dynamo’s minor league team, and there was talk that it would be expanded to 24k if UTRGV had football.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local/article_3cb45ab6-100f-11e7-aa77-83507f81e400.html

Looks like a great FCS stadium.  Can't believe that only seats 9,700!

Rendering shows what an expansion would look like:

heb park 3.PNG

heb park 2.PNG

The time is coming for a new FBS WAC to be announced.  It will be:

WAC FBS

Pacific Divsion

NMSU /GCU*

UC Davis / Sac St

Cal Poly / Cal Baptist*

Plains Division 

UTRGV / Sam Houston St

S F Austin / Lamar

Incarnate Word or Wichita St (fb only) / Oral Roberts*

Mo St (fb only) / UMKC*

* no fb

When ORU leaves the Summit, that will cause the Summit to take the Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St.  The new Summit will be closely aligned with the new WAC and all the fb members will transition to FBS.  If the new Summit affiliated with the WAC for two years in fb as they FBS transition, no NCAA waiver is required and the league maintains its auto bid.  Was wrong that UND would be part of that new WAC, but right that the WAC still holds some cards, even for UND.

The Big Sky will have to rebuild, taking UVU, Seattle, CWU, Azusa Pacific, and Dixie St over several years.

There's are plenty of things wrong with this but the most obvious are (in my opinion) are:

• Cal Poly and UC Davis aren't leaving the Big West
  • Missouri State is already bleeding money in football and this would do nothing but make it worse
  • UMKC wants out of the WAC, they are absolutely bleeding money because of the move out of the Summit and I wouldn't be surprised if they moved back
  • Oral Roberts doens't gain anything from this association
  • Sacramento St is broke
  • The Southland schools aren't going to want to move out of their footprint
  • The Montanas aren't moving east nor is Weber State or Idaho
  • Why would Seattle and UVU leave your proposed WAC to move to the Big Sky?

That being said, what's your timeline on this? That's a whole lot of movement and I am curious when the dominoes will start falling. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jdub27 said:

There's are plenty of things wrong with this but the most obvious are (in my opinion) are:

• Cal Poly and UC Davis aren't leaving the Big West
  • Missouri State is already bleeding money in football and this would do nothing but make it worse
  • UMKC wants out of the WAC, they are absolutely bleeding money because of the move out of the Summit and I wouldn't be surprised if they moved back
  • Oral Roberts doens't gain anything from this association
  • Sacramento St is broke
  • The Southland schools aren't going to want to move out of their footprint
  • The Montanas aren't moving east nor is Weber State or Idaho
  • Why would Seattle and UVU leave your proposed WAC to move to the Big Sky?

That being said, what's your timeline on this? That's a whole lot of movement and I am curious when the dominoes will start falling. 

The UTRGV fb feasibility article stated as soon as next week.

Chaves is starting a podcast where he will explain the workings of conference affiliation.

Apparently Chaves feels the need to educate fans like you.  It’s either go bigger or fall back like Idaho State, which hasn’t done anything significant in 30 years.

Obviously, you don’t listen to me because I’ve explained all of your issues before.

If Chaves can’t convince you, there is no hope for you ever understanding. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The UTRGV fb feasibility article stated as soon as next week.

Chaves is starting a podcast where he will explain the workings of conference affiliation.

Apparently Chaves feels the need to educate fans like you.  It’s either go bigger or fall back like Idaho State, which hasn’t done anything significant in 30 years.

Obviously, you don’t listen to me because I’ve explained all of your issues before.

If Chaves can’t convince you, there is no hope for you ever understanding. 

I listened to Chaves most recent podcast and Faison's from a few months back. None of what you stated is in any of that and in fact Faison was pretty clear about the Montana's having no desire to look east. 

That being said, what's your timeline on this?

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I listened to Chaves most recent podcast and Faison's from a few months back. None of what you stated is in any of that and in fact Faison was pretty clear about the Montana's having no desire to look east. 

I know of someone who is incredibly wrong all the time who could use a lesson in conference realignment ;)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Your ignorance makes you a comedian.  So Faison is going to blab the Montana’s are moving over.  Faison is awfully good at fibbing, like the time he said the Fighting Sioux nickname was the talk of a Big Sky AD teleconference.  Sac St AD said the nickname wasn’t even discussed, but Miller at the Herald had a story with only one source Faison and this board was so sure UND would be evicted from the Big Sky.  

Craves was on a Sit Down and Cheer podcast where he talked about he and his wife were Whalers season ticket holder, that he was on the committee that hired Rand Pecknold at the Q and why the AD is a lonely job because you can’t reveal things and promise to much.  Listen to it.

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

I know of someone who is incredibly wrong all the time who could use a lesson in conference realignment ;)

You will always be a peon in an athletic department if you take the word of AD’s and Presidents seriously at all times.  Much of what they say is PR and they don’t tell anyone about their vision unless you have money or power.

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

What? You dont have his vision and cant read between the lines like he can?  :blink::lol:

Your behavior is borderline LakesBison.  Instead of saying NDSU to the MWC, your duty is to squelch any talk of FBS anywhere.  So Larson is in your back pocket sitting on his *ss and eating sausages.

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Your ignorance makes you a comedian.  So Faison is going to blab the Montana’s are moving over.  Faison is awfully good at fibbing, like the time he said the Fighting Sioux nickname was the talk of a Big Sky AD teleconference.  Sac St AD said the nickname wasn’t even discussed, but Miller at the Herald had a story with only one source Faison and this board was so sure UND would be evicted from the Big Sky.  

Craves was on a Sit Down and Cheer podcast where he talked about he and his wife were Whalers season ticket holder, that he was on the committee that hired Rand Pecknold at the Q and why the AD is a lonely job because you can’t reveal things and promise to much.  Listen to it.

I did listen to and in fact have heard the stories in person from him prior to the podcast. I have also heard his thoughts and vision on where UND should be and what you're describing isn't even close at this point in time. FBS is not in the radar, there are a lot more important things to address. 

No need need to take Faison's word on the Montana's not moving east, there are plenty of other people who have a lot more knowledge stating the exact same thing. 

I also told you UND was going to Summit/MVFC shortly before it happened yet you were insistent that it wasn't. Sometimes you need to listen to what people actually say instead of trying to interpret some secret meaning out of everything. It's fun to speculate some of these things but to present them as absolute fact when they are just pure guesses at best and almost all of them don't happen really hurts your credibility. 

You still haven't given a timeline on these big moves. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I did listen to and in fact have heard the stories in person from him prior to the podcast. I have also heard his thoughts and vision on where UND should be and what you're describing isn't even close at this point in time. FBS is not in the radar, there are a lot more important things to address. 

No need need to take Faison's word on the Montana's not moving east, there are plenty of other people who have a lot more knowledge stating the exact same thing. 

I also told you UND was going to Summit/MVFC shortly before it happened yet you were insistent that it wasn't. Sometimes you need to listen to what people actually say instead of trying to interpret some secret meaning out of everything. It's fun to speculate some of these things but to present them as absolute fact when they are just pure guesses at best and almost all of them don't happen really hurts your credibility. 

You still haven't given a timeline on these big moves. 

Chaves isn’t going to reveal Kennedy’s total vision to you.  Are you kidding.

I was wrong on the Summit because I didn't think two FBS leagues would be birthed out of the WAC remnants.  I’ve admitted that I was wrong but you keep harping on it.

IPFW, ORU and W Illinois are not schools for UND to associate with.  That was my point that never sinks into your skull.  People in athletic departments are clueless what will happen about this on order from the Presidents, but you take words from people like Southpaw’s position as some sort of gospel.

A WAC will be realigned soon and the Summit moves will follow.  By July 1st.

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Craves isn’t going to reveal Kennedy’s total vision to you.  Are you kidding.

I was wrong on the Summit because I didn't think two FBS leagues would be birthed out of the WAC remnants.  I’ve admitted that I was wrong but you keep harping on it.

iUPUI, ORU and W Illinois are not schools for UND to associate with.  That was my point that never sinks into your skull.

A WAC will be realigned soon and the Summit moves will follow.  By July 1st.

I watched you spin an article about the NHL feasibility studies done by Oakland and Illinois, into the interm AD at saying they were going to build a arena at Oakland to add hockey. When that wasn’t even said in the article.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-820615-page-5.html

Sounds like both Illinois and Oakland will be building rinks and having a go at varsity hockey:  https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/the-nhl-b...60.twitter

July 1st will be when you change this whole FBS story line yet again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I watched you spin an article about the NHL feasibility studies done by Oakland and Illinois, into the interm AD at saying they were going to build a arena at Oakland to add hockey. When that wasn’t even said in the article.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-820615-page-5.html

July 1st will be when you change this whole FBS story line yet again.

Oakland County needs rinks.  Someone said somewhere that Oakland wouldn’t use an off site rink.  There were more than one news story on this.  Get over yourself as the one source.

FBS doesn’t have to be announced by July 1st but the Montana’s and Idaho are moving.