SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Looks like a Gonzaga - MWC deal may be finalized in two weeks for the 18-19 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gonzaga-to-the-mountain-west-zags-hope-to-reach-conference-decision-in-next-two-weeks/

That would leave the WCC with 9, which isn’t very workable.   Denver is on the phone.

What about Seattle U?  If that happened, the WAC would be in major trouble. 

12 hours ago, FargoBison said:

No idea really, it seems odd though that a reporter would state it so bluntly if there wasn't. 

Augie probably wouldn't mind playing football against a bunch of small private schools in the Pioneer. What I don't get is why would the SD schools want this? 

I don't get it either. USD and SDSU have a pretty sweet gig going, why would they want to split it with another school in-state?

I hope Summit leadership is thinking bigger than that.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

just thought he would easily be a top 3 candidate...if not the top?

He applied and interviewed and wasn't named a finalist. I'm not even sure he was in the final 6.

Good guy. Will probably be successful when he's hired somewhere but just was apparently outclassed by the quality of the candidate pool in the committee's eyes. 

13 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

He applied and interviewed and wasn't named a finalist. I'm not even sure he was in the final 6.

Good guy. Will probably be successful when he's hired somewhere but just was apparently outclassed by the quality of the candidate pool in the committee's eyes. 

doesn't his body of work look better on paper than manneasu?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

doesn't his body of work look better on paper than manneasu?

Just my opinion.....Mike was the better candidate for UND.

But Morton looks good on paper, agreed. I'm simply stating what I know of the situation. 

Again, Josh Morton is a good guy and will be successful somewhere.

10 hours ago, southpaw said:

I'm getting ready to take your advice and post some real positive conference alignment stuff but first I just want to make sure I understand how things work. 

If presidents are concerned about academics, potential students and etc, why would Loyola being good at basketball matter to the Big East? Wouldn't the BE presidents care more about Loyola's students and endowment rather than their basketball team? 

Cal Tech and MIT would be there if that was all that was necessary.  Loyola hasn’t done much for fifty years, except a men’s volleyball championship.  DePaul is so racked with nepotism related internal corruption in its athletic department, that Fox and the Big East must be tired of dealing with it.  The Big East needs the Chicago market, but must be growing very weary of supporting DePaul’s misadventures.  It like supporting a relative on substance abuse.  Don’t think DePaul will get kicked out, as that is rarely done with athletic departments.

Fox wants at least 20 Big East conference games per school.  Chicago is big enough for two teams.  The Big East may float a St Louis / Loyola addition combo to Fox to see if they support it.  

On 3/13/2018 at 2:03 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so what happens if denver goes wcc and omaha goes to the horizon/mvc/ovc???????????

The West Coast Conference is looking like it is trying to make it's final appeal to keep Gonzaga.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/3/26/17165066/west-coast-conference-basketball-schedule-change-announcement-gonzaga-ncaa-tournament

The argument looks fairly reasonable of why they should consider making the move to the Mountain West.  I realize it's only an opinion piece, but there are some interesting arguments within it.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/3/26/17165066/west-coast-conference-basketball-schedule-change-announcement-gonzaga-ncaa-tournament

Will the WCC back fill? And will the 2 main candidates be Seattle U and Denver?  The shuffle of college athletics looks only to continue.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Didn't they put a bunch of money into their Football program not too long ago?

Is there real steam to this or is this just the SF media really being hopeful......

Hope and a prayer.  Sioux Falls media stoking the fire isn't going to be enough to turn Augie into something they are not.

Next, the Argus-Leader will be pushing for Northern St as another team in the Summit.  After all, some SDSU posters say Augie and Northern St run rings around USD.  Respect both those schools, as Northern and Augie have been in D2 championships, but DI is not something they could financially handle even compared to Western Illinois.

Still waiting for Kennedy’s plan to come to light.  He  didn’t change conferences to birth an NCC 2.0.  When Gonzaga has made its move, then things be exciting for a change.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Next, the Argus-Leader will be pushing for Northern St as another team in the Summit.  After all, some SDSU posters say Augie and Northern St run rings around USD.  Respect both those schools, as Northern and Augie have been in D2 championships, but DI is not something they could financially handle even compared to Western Illinois.

Still waiting for Kennedy’s plan to come to light.  He  didn’t change conferences to birth an NCC 2.0.  When Gonzaga has made its move, then things be exciting for a change.

I'd be shocked to see anyone who actually believes... legitimately... that Northern runs rings around USD. Thats akin to NDSU/UND folks saying Mary or Minot are doing the same to NDSU/UND. Clearly joking, or delusional. 

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

He did it to cut down on travel costs and re-align with historical rivals. A move that was not possible until the MVFC finally caved and allowed UND to join. That was literally the hold up since the beginning. 

9 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I'd be shocked to see anyone who actually believes... legitimately... that Northern runs rings around USD. Thats akin to NDSU/UND folks saying Mary or Minot are doing the same to NDSU/UND. Clearly joking, or delusional. 

The only thing Northern runs circles around USD and SDSU is basketball attendance

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

A move that was not possible until the MVFC finally caved and allowed UND to join. 

Because of Kennedy...

The move was made because of Kennedy's push and diligence with the MVFC and Summit. 

I truly believe this was the reason it was done so fast (relative to Kennedy's arrival at UND).

11 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Because of Kennedy...

The move was made because of Kennedy's push and diligence with the MVFC and Summit. 

I truly believe this was the reason it was done so fast (relative to Kennedy's arrival at UND).

No, the move became possible because adding UND was necessary to stabilize the Summit. The MVFC schools acquiesced because a stable Summit is also their best interest. Once the nickname issue was resolved, all it took was for UND to ask.

11 hours ago, Gothmog said:

No, the move became possible because adding UND was necessary to stabilize the Summit. The MVFC schools acquiesced because a stable Summit is also their best interest. Once the nickname issue was resolved, all it took was for UND to ask.

I guess I'm not sure when you considered the nickname issue "resolved" but UND could have got in the Summit at basically any point in the past.  The hang-up was the MVFC and it had nothing to do with the nickname. UND was in constant contact with both ever since they got in the Big Sky. Both sides knew that the Summit invite was pointless until the MVFC had the votes. 

11 hours ago, Gothmog said:

UND officially dropped the nickname and logo in 2012.

Kennedy started the job in July of 2016.

By the fall of 2016, Kennedy was aggressively making his calls and visits to procure the move. This is fact.

In January 2017, the official announcement was made for UND switching to  Summit/MVFC.

That's a pretty fast move by Kennedy.

Are you saying nobody from UND "asked" for 4 years? 

12 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

UND officially dropped the nickname and logo in 2012.

Kennedy started the job in July of 2016.

By the fall of 2016, Kennedy was aggressively making his calls and visits to procure the move. This is fact.

In January 2017, the official announcement was made for UND switching to  Summit/MVFC.

That's a pretty fast move by Kennedy.

Are you saying nobody from UND "asked" for 4 years? 

Can't confirm whether it was in any way related, but Bresciani's contract wasn't extended until the wheels started moving in late 2016 too....

Rule #1

Never trust a Fargo or Sioux Falls journalist, as they spout what the XDSU’s want everyone to hear, not the truth.  Chapman was a master of this deception, and it continued with Bresciani.  The story was always how NDSU barely got in when the MVFC went to nine, because the eastern MVFC teams didn’t want to pay for a flight and SDSU insisted upon it or they wouldn’t join either.  Well, guess what, with only seven conference games then, many MVFC schools had to fly anyway to fill out their schedule regardless if NDSU was out or in.

But now, lo and behold, there isnt any anger or angst coming from the MVFC when UND got in.  Imagine that?  Fargo sportswriters were just part of an NDSU propaganda machine designed to keep UND (and USD) out.  SDSU relented earlier because it knew if the Big Sky got USD, the Summit would have fallen apart.  NDSU didn’t want UND to have any sort of recruiting angle or play ND games, because they wanted to own ND football and had a morbid fear of UND.

The NDBoHE doesn’t want people to know how NDSU leadership deceived even them, so they keep a lid on the story by not revealing it.

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Rule #1

Never trust a Fargo or Sioux Falls journalist, as they spout what the XDSU’s want everyone to hear, not the truth.  Chapman was a master of this deception, and it continued with Bresciani.  The story was always how NDSU barely got in when the MVFC went to nine, because the eastern MVFC teams didn’t want to pay for a flight and SDSU insisted upon it or they wouldn’t join either.  Well, guess what, with only seven conference games then, many MVFC schools had to fly anyway to fill out their schedule regardless if NDSU was out or in.

But now, low and behold, there isnt any anger or angst coming from the MVFC when UND got in.  Imagine that?  Fargo sportswriters were just part of an NDSU propaganda machine designed to keep UND (and USD) out.  SDSU relented earlier because it knew if the Big Sky got USD, the Summit would fallen apart.  NDSU didn’t want UND to have any sort of recruiting angle or play ND games, because they wanted to own ND football and have a fear of UND.

The NDBoHE doesn’t want people to know how NDSU leadership deceived even then, so they keep a lid on the story by not revealing it.

Rule #2: Consult the Hebrew calendar,  find out if we are in Jubilee or not. 

Rule #3: Big Sky going FBS.

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Rule #2: Consult the Hebrew calendar,  find out if we are in Jubilee or not. 

Rule #3: Big Sky going FBS.

Rule #2. Like the Cubs winning the World Series, or the Cavaliers winning for Cleveland a break a major Cleveland championship drought and Leicester winning the Premiere League doesn’t cause you to see 2016-17 as a strange Hebrew year.  That Jubilee year didn’t have major election years here, but the resulting change here with Trump winning and Hillary losing was profound and continues to be.  The last Jubilee year,  In 1967-68, that year was to distinct change in time.  Political, ghetto, cultural and anti-war rIots, RFK and MLK assassinations, Johnson decides not to run, Israel wins the 7 day war and gets all of Jerusalem.  Fifty years prior to that, the Jews got the right to settle in Israel by the British Balfour decree and WWI draws to a close.  Spiritual eyes are needed to see them.

Rule #3. Just wait til after Gonzaga’s move.  Lesser conferences don’t make move until the dust has settled in more important ones.  But never said all the BSC was moving up.

54 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

http://yellowhammernews.com/bjcc-master-plan/

UAB gets a plan for a new stadium new stadium for their resurrected fb team.

Made a little bit of a fix to your post. Also think it should be pointed out the link also has this comment:

The stadium is projected to cost $174 million and the other improvements will total $123 million. There was no discussion of how the projects would be financed.