SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

You consistently show that you are clueless about conference politics, as if a Sioux Falls tournament is the be all and end all for all schools.  That's why it’s comical.  Calfifornia is an important market to DU because it can market itself more there,  and there are plenty of kids that don’t need much financial aid or scholarships.  DU should have more Californians than it does as it would raise its average incoming SAT and be very cost effective.  One of the reason that CU wanted in the PAC10 is because there get many Californians to pay full out-of-state tuition.  That number has only increased because the UC system is so hard to get into.   BYU isn’t charged tor the WCC, so why would DU?  DU has previously applied for the WCC but were rejected because BYU was out there.  Now the WCC needs a travel partner for BYU if the Zags leave.  The Big West offered a while back to take DU if it paid travel fees like Boise St and Hawaii as the Big West is a low budget league for travel, i.e. a bus league.

Western Illinois is not a school that most Presidents want to associate with, because it really doesn’t deliver academics, research or a large metro.  They have a fine criminal justice department that is well respected, but that isn’t worth a hill of beans to academically minded Presidents.  WIU is the only school left from the original Mid Con because other conferences do not find it desirable so it’s been passed over for 40years while everybody else got the h*ll out.  EIU got out and into the OVC because it saw the writing on the wall and realized the OVC had schools much like it.  

When talking about enrollment, every student is different, but skiing is a big draw to attract students to Colorado.  So doesnt DU have a skiing program?  It’s not like DU practices in a local city park.  Our former UND President Schafer has an MBA at DU, but that doesn’t mean that DU will mount an all out enrollment effort in ND, because there are simply much better areas to do that in.  The Dakotas simply don’t have metro areas with large swathes of suburbs with affluent kinds.  DU’s affiliate lacrosse membership likely caused a bigger increase in East Coast students just because of awareness that DU is an option than any thing the Summit offers. 

DU was willing to pay $2 million a year to get into the MWC and yet you insist that DU will stay the course?  When DU joined the Summit, the news was very much down played by their admin, like they didn’t want to broadcast an embarrassment.  Contrast that when DU joined the still intact WAC, it was a real campus celebration because their admin thought DU had hit the big time in a western conference.

Considering you have been wrong 99.999999% of the time on your supposed knowledge of how college presidents think and your supposed forward thinking and vision. I find this opening statement hilarious as you again try to lecture somebody (again)on your supposed knowledge of how conferences work.

Why  cant you let other post their opinions without being snide and contentious ?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

eastern drops down to the glac and ndac is your newest member of the MAC daddy!

I think seeing UCF go undefeated just for a bowl game was a wake up call not only to NDSU but any FCS school wanting to move up that they will never contend for the FBS playoffs. 

45 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think seeing UCF go undefeated just for a bowl game was a wake up call not only to NDSU but any FCS school wanting to move up that they will never contend for the FBS playoffs. 

That shouldn't bug anyone anyway. You don't move to the FBS because you actually believe you can be the best team in the division hahaha.

8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Yeah... Poor UCF.  They got to play in the Peach Bowl on New Years Day with 8 million watching while they beat Auburn.  But some of my compadres over at Bisonville think that playing on January 6 in a small soccer stadium for another FCS championship is far better.   The small thinking by some over there drives me crazy.   I know it didn't happen and it was naive to imagine it could have, but I wish SiouxVolley's predictions about an FBS WAC coming back to life had come true.  For a short time last year, I had hope of an FBS league that Dakota schools could actually belong to.          

1 hour ago, professorbum said:

Yeah... Poor UCF.  They got to play in the Peach Bowl on New Years Day with 8 million watching while they beat Auburn.  But some of my compadres over at Bisonville think that playing on January 6 in a small soccer stadium for another FCS championship is far better.   The small thinking by some over there drives me crazy.   I know it didn't happen and it was naive to imagine it could have, but I wish SiouxVolley's predictions about an FBS WAC coming back to life had come true.  For a short time last year, I had hope of an FBS league that Dakota schools could actually belong to.          

Merely transferred the FBS intentions over to the Summit with the Montanas and Idaho.  That would solve all the Summit structural problems.  The WAC can even offer the Summit FBS status for football by affiliation by rule with them for a year if the P5 have a problem with it.  The G5 would raise hell but can’t stop it.

2 hours ago, professorbum said:

National title vs the Peach Bowl. Hmmm.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:14 PM, professorbum said:

First, there actually is an FBS bowl game played in that small soccer stadium ( the Frisco Bowl). Second, I'm sure UCF was thrilled to play in the 2009, 2012 & 2014 St Petersburg bowl game (formerly the Beef O'Brady's Bowl, currently the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl) in the middle of December in front of <30K fans in a baseball stadium.

Those are the kind of FBS  bowl games NDSU fans are reluctant to leave FCS for not New Years Day games against Auburn.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

wondering how much the MVC is loving the fact that their addition of Loyola has paid off in a big way.

Last summer, the MVC fans were complaining loudly about the turd they brought in.

If Loyola had been good is basketball in the last 50 years, it rather then DePaul might have been in the.Big East.  Loyola has a bigger endowment and has almost as many students.  Plus it’s on the much more posh North Side by Lake Michigan

The A-10 would do well to nab it and have a travel partner for St Louis.

5 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

Pioneer League would be their only move or I guess they could go the Omaha route. 

Didn't they put a bunch of money into their Football program not too long ago?

Is there real steam to this or is this just the SF media really being hopeful......

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Didn't they put a bunch of money into their Football program not too long ago?

Is there real steam to this or is this just the SF media really being hopeful......

No idea really, it seems odd though that a reporter would state it so bluntly if there wasn't. 

Augie probably wouldn't mind playing football against a bunch of small private schools in the Pioneer. What I don't get is why would the SD schools want this? 

Just now, FargoBison said:

No idea really, it seems odd though that a reporter would state it so bluntly if there wasn't. 

Augie probably wouldn't mind playing football against a bunch of small private schools in the Pioneer. What I don't get is why would the SD schools want this? 

Other than needing a warm body, why would any of the summit want Auggie?

On 16.3.2018 at 7:22 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Always try to look at conference affiliation from a Presidents eyes. 

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If Loyola had been good is basketball in the last 50 years, it rather then DePaul might have been in the.Big East.  Loyola has a bigger endowment and has almost as many students.

I'm getting ready to take your advice and post some real positive conference alignment stuff but first I just want to make sure I understand how things work. 

If presidents are concerned about academics, potential students and etc, why would Loyola being good at basketball matter to the Big East? Wouldn't the BE presidents care more about Loyola's students and endowment rather than their basketball team?