SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Those eight (UND, NDSU, SDSU, UNO + UM, MSU, UI, EWU) seem like an interesting consortium. I see 7 FB, 8 BB. 

What would be better for scheduling would be 9 FB (for 8 conference games) and 10 or 12 BB. 

The (semi-)obvious would be Weber State (west) and USD (east). That'd get it to 9 FB, 10 BB. 

After that, two BB only schools ... hmmm ... Denver and someone to balance. 

UMKC.  Less than a three hour drive from them and Omaha, and they don't sponsor football.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why not Denver is easy.

Teams want travel to Denver for basketball and um, er, ah, ... recreation. The Dakotas? Omaha? Notsomuch. 

Sorry Sica, your answer went over my head. Basketball scheduling alliance should fit your answer perfectly.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:59 AM, jdub27 said:

The ACC and B1G play a basketball challenge somewhat similar to this as do the Big 12 and SEC, I suppose those conferences are merging in some fashion as well? Those Big Sky teams have no real benefit in looking east and therefore no desire in doing so.

This is a helpful scheduling alliance that gets some guaranteed home games for teams that have some issues getting them due to location. The conferences helped facilitate it and at least they did a bit of work unlike the MVFC/Big Sky challenge that they decided to latch onto after the games were scheduled, though that idea was probably a small catalyst for this.

There some serious lack of pattern recognition on your part, jdub.  Only when UND says they will join the MVFC, did the MVFC and Big Sky announce a challenge.  The same thing happens with the Summit and Big Sky in mbb.

The P5 conference that have challenges get major TV bucks and it is organized by the conference offices.  The comparison is totally off but by your logic standards thats normal.  This challenge has been organized by a subset of schools in both conference and isn't blessed by the conference offices.  It's like a civil war against the left out other schools like W Ill, ORU, IPFW, Idaho St, SUU etc.  Omaha participating is like an acknowledgement that they are "in" for the long term and want to be part of this Great Northern conference.

What UND and Denver did to the hockey world is happening to the Summit too.  Suspect Denver and UND have been working on this since the WAC FBS days.  Denver's reason for leaving the WAC (GCU profit status) was just a bunch of hooey.  Denver wants to be associated with flagship schools and DI hockey schools in an all sports conference. That is happening, but at a slower pace than the formation of the NCHC.  UND and Denver are key drivers on this.

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

There some serious lack of pattern recognition on your part, jdub.  Only when UND says they will join the MVFC, did the MVFC and Big Sky announce a challenge.  The same thing happens with the Summit and Big Sky in mbb.

The P5 conference that have challenges get major TV bucks and it is organized by the conference offices.  The comparison is totally off but by your logic standards thats normal.  This challenge has been organized by a subset of schools in both conference and isn't blessed by the conference offices.  It's like a civil war against the left out other schools like W Ill, ORU, IPFW, Idaho St, SUU etc.  Omaha participating is like an acknowledgement that they are "in" for the long term and want to be part of this Great Northern conference.

What UND and Denver did to the hockey world is happening to the Summit too.  Suspect Denver and UND have been working on this since the WAC FBS days.  Denver's reason for leaving the WAC (GCU profit status) was just a bunch of hooey.  Denver wants to be associated with flagship schools and DI hockey schools in an all sports conference. That is happening, but at a slower pace than the formation of the NCHC.  UND and Denver are key drivers on this.

So do you have an inside source on this, or is this all pattern recognition on your part?

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Maybe you should ban all opinion on this board.

I'm fine with opinion.  Your delivery and subsequent attacks on those who question you make it seem you are stating more than just an opinion.  Now that I know this is just a theory, I will regard it as such.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm fine with opinion.  Your delivery and subsequent attacks on those who question you make it seem you are stating more than just an opinion.  Now that I know this is just a theory, I will regard it as such.

So strange and illogical that when southpaw and jdub launch their attacks based on their opinions - not facts, nary a word is heard out of you.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

So strange and illogical that when southpaw and jdub launch they attacks, nary a word is heard out of you.

Typically, they attack a theory by pointing out holes/inconsistencies in said theory.  In response, you often attack them personally by questioning their intelligence or comprehension.  Most people, when presenting an unsubstantiated theory, don't do so with quite the confidence you do.  Perhaps that's something we'll just have to come to accept when interacting with you here.

I hope your theory about the "Great Northern Conference" comes true some day.  It would be an improvement for all schools involved, IMO.  

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The MVFC and Big Sky challenge had nothing to do with the conferences other than them slapping their names on it after the fact. The games had been scheduled years before they came up with the "challenge". It's possible that the Summit and Big Sky leadership helped out a little bit with the basketball challenge, but.......why would these conferences support something that is supposedly a start to the end of one or both of them? Seems pretty asinine for the Big Sky and Summit to put their stamp of approval that would lead to their core schools in their conferences leaving.

Now you understand how people feel when you put something down that looks like potato + apple = duck. I'm fully aware of the differences in the comparison and was making a point with my comparison. However if you substitute "guaranteed home games for teams that struggle to get them" for "major TV bucks", then the theory behind the challenges actually aren't all that different. 

The challenge has absolutely been blessed by the conference offices. Releases were sent out by both offices (links even provided below, try it sometime) and multiple public positive comments have been made by commissioners. To claim that it isn't supported is a flat out lie.

http://www.valley-football.org/news/2017/8/14/football-mvfc-big-sky-announce-challenge-series.aspx
http://bigskyconf.com/news/2017/8/14/big-sky-and-missouri-valley-football-announce-challenge-series.aspx

Again, you present your theories as facts and refuse to take any criticism of that presentation, even when people who have more knowledge of situations than you explain why you are wrong. UND moving to the Summit/MVFC, which you claimed would never happen because the Big Sky was merging with the WAC, is a perfect example, even after people who knew it was in the works told you so.

Creating a one-sport conference is not the same as creating an all-sports conference, particularly when auto-bids are concerned and would be absolutely necessary for almost every sport. Denver's reasons leaving the WAC were because the league completely turned over from when they joined to when they left outside of probably NMSU, and that wasn't for lack of trying. Denver already has what they need in the Summit: no requirement to add core sports and an autobid for what they have. 

I do want to state that I'm fully in support of a new conference that would include the Dakotas, Omaha, Denver, the Montanas, Idaho and then one or two other schools to get to the right numbers. However I also understand that the probability of it under the current NCAA model (P5/G5/FCS) mean it is very unlikely to happen, particularly because there is no real benefit to the western schools to take part in it.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

You do, the get shot down pretty quick over there.

Any change gets shot down immediately there.  Especially talk of new FBS conferences -as most G5 fans see that as a threat.  They never see change coming, just like Southpaw and Jdub here.  Everything always will stay the same is the constant refrain and it's always wrong too but they never get called on it.