SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-2012

siouxnami

I continue to believe that, sometime in the relatively near future, the women will fill the Ralph ...

The trajectory is continuing to move in the right direction - and the schedule hasn't gotten to the rivalry games at home yet.

Will be interesting to see what the Minnesota series will draw. Since the men are in Anchorage, the time zone difference will allow fans to attend without sacrificing listening/viewing to the men's games. Predicting 7000.

The Wisconsin and Mn-Duluth series should also draw well, but the men are in town those weekends too. Matinee games don't draw as well. Probably 4000 or so for those games.

I should have said I don't think the women will fill the Ralph this year, but relatively soon.

Sioux fans will support a competitive team, and this is a hockey town. Put the two together.

The ongoing high attendance bodes well for future recruiting ... combine facilities and coaching with the chance to play before some bona fide crowds, and UND will win even more recruiting battles.

I should have said I don't think the women will fill the Ralph this year, but relatively soon.

Sioux fans will support a competitive team, and this is a hockey town. Put the two together.

The ongoing high attendance bodes well for future recruiting ... combine facilities and coaching with the chance to play before some bona fide crowds, and UND will win even more recruiting battles.

Keep in mind that at some point they might charging FSC members for women's hockey, and they won't have the $2 tickets for showing a football or hockey ticket stub. I hope they get the support they deserve, but I think filling the lower bowl in the next few years would be a nice accomplishment.

Keep in mind that at some point they might charging FSC members for women's hockey, and they won't have the $2 tickets for showing a football or hockey ticket stub. I hope they get the support they deserve, but I think filling the lower bowl in the next few years would be a nice accomplishment.

I agree.

There are just some people that just won't get behind women's hockey. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D.../Attendance.pdf

Last year, Wisconsin led women's hockey in attendance with 2768 / game. But keep in mind that their average was helped by a single crowd of more than 10,000. UND was the only other school to average more than 1000, with 1280/ game.

This year, UND is almost on Wisconsin's pace from last year. With the big series still coming up, UND should easily be able to blow past Wisconsin's record number last year. The question is how well the Badgers will draw this year. Wisconsin is averaging 1800 so far this year and is advertising for high attendance for their weekend's series with BU.

Totally agree on attendance helping recruiting. By average 3 or even 4000, UND and UW would really be the only schools with significant attendance in the sport.

http://fs.ncaa.org/D.../Attendance.pdf

Last year, Wisconsin led women's hockey in attendance with 2768 / game. But keep in mind that their average was helped by a single crowd of more than 10,000. UND was the only other school to average more than 1000, with 1280/ game.

This year, UND is almost on Wisconsin's pace from last year. With the big series still coming up, UND should easily be able to blow past Wisconsin's record number last year. The question is how well the Badgers will draw this year. Wisconsin is averaging 1800 so far this year and is advertising for high attendance for their weekend's series with BU.

Totally agree on attendance helping recruiting. By average 3 or even 4000, UND and UW would really be the only schools with significant attendance in the sport.

Ok, I'm such a nerd... but I love this sh#t. :p

Obviously, the big four in women's hockey are in the WCHA -- UND, Wisco, Minny and UMD.

I crunched the numbers based on the official box scores listed on USCHO from week 2 to this past week 6. All programs have six home games in the books, including UND's exhibition against Manitoba in week 2 of the college hockey season.

Here is the breakdown:

UMD:

Total attendance = 5,904

Avg. per game = 984

Minny:

Total attendance = 5,136

Avg. per game = 856

Wisco:

Total attendance = 11,050

Avg. per game = 1,841.6

UND:

Total attendance = 11,669

Avg. per game = 1,944.8

:)

I wonder how many fans are showing up to see the home grown Olympic Twins play? I think it's great that attendance is growing for the women. I just have a hard time seeing them fill the lower bowl, let alone the whole arena, on a consisten basis. I support all Sioux athletic teams but women's hockey can be tough to watch in my opinon.

I think that if they can get 2 to 3K for most regular games and maybe something like close to 5K for a considered rivalry game like a Minnesota or a Wisconsin(of course we have to beat Wisconsin for it to be a rivalry)- that would be phenomenal. I went to the Friday night game this weekend. I had a good time. Am I going to make it to all the games no- but I will definitely go to some more in the future. I do get a little concerned that maybe we are only seeing a temporary bump because of the local twins who happen to be some the best Olympians on the national team. Are people going to lose interest when they move on? I hope not but it has been a question I've asked myself. I will say that the product right now is night and day compared to where we were even 3 years ago. Very impressed how it seems we've made an improvement by leaps and bounds in the skillset of the players.

Here's to continued success ladies. Now, go beat the Bulldogs!

I wonder how many fans are showing up to see the home grown Olympic Twins play? I think it's great that attendance is growing for the women. I just have a hard time seeing them fill the lower bowl, let alone the whole arena, on a consisten basis. I support all Sioux athletic teams but women's hockey can be tough to watch in my opinon.

I've followed the women's team for the past three years and I completely disagree that, right now, the team is tough to watch. I find myself completely awe struck by their crisp passing this year. I also think because they are not allowed to check they have to be more skillful in some ways.

It is my genuine hope that when people go out to see the team they can see the exceptional product on the ice right now. I'm incredibly thrilled with the team's progress, but I also realize that I have become slightly attached. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I've followed the women's team for the past three years and I completely disagree that, right now, the team is tough to watch. I find myself completely awe struck by their crisp passing this year. I also think because they are not allowed to check they have to be more skillful in some ways.

It is my genuine hope that when people go out to see the team they can see the exceptional product on the ice right now. I'm incredibly thrilled with the team's progress, but I also realize that I have become slightly attached. :lol:

It isn't UND's play that I'm knocking as much as I'm knocking Women't hockey. I know UND has improved and is in position to do some good things in the near future...hopefully. I'm just not a fan of women's hockey. Just a personal preference. The reason I posted was about attendance. It's great it's growing but I feel some of that has to do with the Lamoreaux Twins on the team. Guess we will see what happens down the road.

Actually, I completely agree with your argument on attendance as it tends to be mine as well. It is logical and practical to ask those questions.

Actually, when I've watched the womens game I get frustrated with the stick work and obstruction because body checking isn't allowed it seems those things are more prevalent because of it's absence. I've always found it very odd that the NCAA when it comes to gender equity doesn't allow checking in women's hockey. Who is it going to hurt? These are very strong well trained women- to say that they can't check to me is kind of insulting. I happen to feel that its an important part of the game of hockey- and I don't see a reason why it isn't in the womens game. Fouls in womens basketball are the same as in the mens game- the only thing really different is the 3 point line. In soccer a foul is a foul. Why is it that they don't allow checking in the womens game?

I'm not a great women's hockey fan- much more enjoy the men's game, but I still like it well enough that I'm probably going to get to at least 4 to 5 more games this year.

To the substance of the quality of play, it continues to make quantum leaps. The one timers this weekend were a thing to behold.

Agree. I attended my first women's game on Friday night and the play was so impressive I went Saturday night as well. The one timers and the slapshots by the Lamoueux girls were men's team worthy. Plus Karvinen took a pass in front of the goal as she was skating laterally by the goal mouth and put it in behind her back--truly Truppworthy! These girls can skate!

Wow, it seems like just yesterday that I was arguing with people in the Women's Hockey Thread for a team that almost beat UMD in overtime in their first ever playoff game.

Things I like about Sioux women's hockey (above and beyond winning and watching some pretty amazing passes):

Waiting in line for tickets.

Having to hurry up and sit down between periods or you don't get the good seats.

Bringing two high school boys with me and having them talk about how good the team is after....

We've come a long way, and we still have a long way to go! But it's been a great ride so far!

• Upvote 1