SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I agree with your analysis regarding the criticism Mussman chooses to make publicly. At the same time, and I'm speaking as a former defensive player here, it is a bit of chicken and egg. Yes the defense is out there a long time, but why? They can't make a stop on 3rd down. If they stop on third down, they are off the field. That's what the opponent's defense did, made a 3rd down stop. As a defense you have to hold serve in that situation. The opponent made a 3 and out happen, you must do the same. From a defensive perspective, allowing an offense to drive the field on you is the negative equivalent of your offense going 3 and out. Neither side of the ball is doing its job. The offense has just as much validity in saying to the defense "make a 3rd down stop" as the defense has in saying to the offense "get a first down."

The defense does seem far ahead of the offense - that being said, I totally agree with you that the D has the ability to get off of the field with timely third down stops. I've mentioned this before, but was accused by green_sioux of not being worthy to carry Mussman's clipboard - here goes - from my observations the d backs, specifically the corners seem to give a huge cushion to the receivers they cover. Teams seem to be able to pick up 5-7 yards at will. Don't you think some of our inability to hold on 3rd down is due to this. It seems we'll allowed ourselves to be marched on 7 yards at a time all game as long as we don't give up any bombs. I know that I am not the only one with this opinion. We let the Idaho QB complete 15 in a row. I know he and the receivers are up one division from us, but come on, 15 in a row? I wish we would get up in someones face once in a while. Your thoughts?

The defense does seem far ahead of the offense - that being said, I totally agree with you that the D has the ability to get off of the field with timely third down stops. I've mentioned this before, but was accused by green_sioux of not being worthy to carry Mussman's clipboard - here goes - from my observations the d backs, specifically the corners seem to give a huge cushion to the receivers they cover. Teams seem to be able to pick up 5-7 yards at will. Don't you think some of our inability to hold on 3rd down is due to this. It seems we'll allowed ourselves to be marched on 7 yards at a time all game as long as we don't give up any bombs. I know that I am not the only one with this opinion. We let the Idaho QB complete 15 in a row. I know he and the receivers are up one division from us, but come on, 15 in a row? I wish we would get up in someones face once in a while. Your thoughts?

OK, I'll play D coordinator for a moment. If I believe I'm faced with a personnel mismatch in the secondary vs their pass offense, I would play a physical cover 2 ( I normally hate cover 2, because I believe it's not aggressive enough but if I am disadvantaged I would go to it). I would jam hard at the line of scrimmage to throw off timing, knowing I always have safety help over the top. Depending on how the game develops-am I getting pressure with my lineman--I would blitz a backer, knowing I'm giving up an underneath route, but again I have safety help, keeping everything in front. Schematically, if cover 2 is just totally not an option, I would play a soft cover 3. Line up 5-7yds off and keep everything in front of me. It's also pretty standard to roll from a 2 to a 3 and vice versa. Disguise coverages. Again, all this is predicated on believing we are at a mismatch with the Idaho pass offense. My strategy would be to make them string together a long drive. It's early in the season and teams are prone to penalties and turnovers. Take away the home run ball and make them march it. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but when you believe you are vulnerable, it's sound defense try and hide that. Protecting from the long ball/giving a bigger cushion is a way to do that.

Now, if he indeed does start stringing together 15 straight completions, as I outlined before you have to start taking a few chances.

That said, if I believe I match up well with the opponnent I am a pressing man to man guy and I bring a lot of heat.

I am assuming it goes without saying that the title of this thread does not speak for all participants in this site, nor does it in all probablity speak for a majority of Sioux football fans. As with most threads it is best taken as an opportunity to discuss topics.

I think you guys better put this thread on hold and see how the season shakes out......

This reminds me too much of the Pat Behrns era. Given that this is a young team and the goal had always been to be prepared for when the team becomes playoff eligible, the judgement will come in the next couple years.

Well, fresno is currently beating Nebraska so I'm not with you there. However, mussman has one job this year and only one. Give Sioux fans legitimate hope for next year. That's it. He doesn't have to beat the defending national champs or beat a BigTen team while they are in transition. He just needs to provide some hope. If he can't do that he should and I think will be canned.

Wait, I've just been informed that South Dakota has accomplished the two things listed above. South Dakota?!? South freaking Dakota?!?! They are in a crap town with crap faciilities and half the athletic budget as UND. Hmm.

Fire Mussman. Now.

Mostly sarcasm, but this has been a very frustrating day.

Last night was a very strong performance. A good start in creating that hope for next year.

After last night's game, I think Mussman deserves a hold on the criticism. I'll admit I was upset to see our team's second half performance against Idaho; however, we did MUCH better than I think anyone expected last night. With that performance against Fresno State, fans should be excited as UND has a legitimate chance to win out or at least be in the running to do that. If our team ends the season with a 9-2 record, or even an 8 - 3 record, I think this season would be a success under those circumstances considering South Dakota and Cal Poly's already impressive seasons thus far (both of those games are at home!). So, as I mentioned earlier in this thread after the Idaho game, let

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone thin now? Never ever count your team out. Mainly when cheering for fighting sioux

Definately fire him if we lose to Montana Western and or Sioux Falls. That is a no-brainer. Or else so far expectations have been met and exceeded from last year. We won a conference game on the road against a ranked team. That's big. A FBS win would have been nice but never expected. If we can win the GWFC, or come close then extend his Sioux life another year. The Big Sky Conference will show what a coach he is.

What does everyone thin now? Never ever count your team out. Mainly when cheering for fighting sioux

Same as I thought before the season started. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than Mussman does of being let go before the end of the 2012 season. The powers that be see this as a process, over years, and we're building for next year in a good way. Down the road, 2011 will be looked at as the year we turned the corner in FCS.

What if we lose to one of those teams but beat everyone else and finish 8-3 with a GWC title?

The loss to Sioux Falls was the most humiliating defeat I can remember for the Sioux in the past 40 years. We were out-coached in every way. In a state that is divided between Sioux and Bison fans it was a public humiliation for the Sioux program and its fans. There was no excuse for it. That being said, I think Mussman earned himself some slack with his latest win. He still needs to grow a pair in my opinion and we must develop consistency. It was a step in the right direction. However, if we lose to another NAIA program he should be gone the next day. Not only is there absolutely no excuse, but I think the publicity will hurt future recruiting. We need to put up 50 on Sioux Falls this year.

• Upvote 3

UNC is the real indicator for me this year.

If we lose to Northern Colorado, Faison should start the search.

This will not happen. UNC is horrid. You guys need to get rid of this thread. If Muss get the Sioux playing a hard nosed running game with some great line play......the Sky will not know how to handle it.

• Upvote 2

This will not happen. UNC is horrid. You guys need to get rid of this thread. If Muss get the Sioux playing a hard nosed running game with some great line play......the Sky will not know how to handle it.

This. I think the change of offense back to the more smash mouth style was big this year. We have a young O-line that is making nice strides weekly. And some good, young skill guys to go along with them. It is just a better fit for our personel.

The loss to Sioux Falls was the most humiliating defeat I can remember for the Sioux in the past 40 years. We were out-coached in every way. In a state that is divided between Sioux and Bison fans it was a public humiliation for the Sioux program and its fans. There was no excuse for it. That being said, I think Mussman earned himself some slack with his latest win. He still needs to grow a pair in my opinion and we must develop consistency. It was a step in the right direction. However, if we lose to another NAIA program he should be gone the next day. Not only is there absolutely no excuse, but I think the publicity will hurt future recruiting. We need to put up 50 on Sioux Falls this year.

In total agreement here. I'll give Muss credit as last week was a big conference and road win. This program needs to win the games they are suppose to win...W. Oregon and Sioux Falls in a big way and compete well in the conference the rest of the way.

I think that coach still has alot to prove and we will see how the rest of the season goes. So far it looks like he is a pretty good recruiter. The young talent on the team is apparent. Now, can he make the tough decisions and calls in big/close games that turn us into a top FCS program? So far that has been my biggest question of him.

• 1 month later...

I wonder how this thread helps recruiting. Mussman visits a recruit at their home. Kid thinks about going to UND, logs on the computer....Oh it says here the fans want to fire their coach. "This can't be good."

You wanna know how popular this site is: when you type "sioux football" into google Siouxsports.com/football is the third most popular after two official fightingsioux.com sites. And that page siouxsports.com/football has the top five most recent topics in this forum. With this post I just made "fire muss" at the top.

I wonder how this thread helps recruiting. Mussman visits a recruit at their home. Kid thinks about going to UND, logs on the computer....Oh it says here the fans want to fire their coach. "This can't be good."

i dont want muss fired ...just reminding others that it wasnt long ago THEY wanted him fired....now their jumping up and down for him to be coach of the year!

You wanna know how popular this site is: when you type "sioux football" into google Siouxsports.com/forums/football is the third most popular after two official fightingsioux.com sites.

Good point, I make a motion to delete this thread from sight. Do I hear any seconds?