SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

UND switched? That's ultimately on the head coach.

Absolutely agree, but it takes more than one year to retool a college team. I am simply pointing out the fact that they switched the offense which made then vulnerable if the first string QB went down. It happened and they struggled after the injury. Many teams are going to struggle when they lose the starting QB because he has taken most of the reps and prep.

Absolutely agree, but it takes more than one year to retool a college team. I am simply pointing out the fact that they switched the offense which made then vulnerable if the first string QB went down. It happened and they struggled after the injury. Many teams are going to struggle when they lose the starting QB because he has taken most of the reps and prep.

Whatever happened to Muss's no huddle? Was that a failure too or are we still running it?

Get rid of the gimmicks: The no huddle burger king flash cards, line up for the extra point and kick it (swinging gate).

I don't understand why so many are infatuated with Kalen Deboer.........................he was a successful NAIA coach...................that bailed when his program decided to move up and the recruiting parameters would be changed immensely. Southern Illinois had their worst season in years last season after he came aboard...............not at all saying it was because of him, but I fail to see what would make him an attractive head coaching candidate for any FCS program..................

Whatever happened to Muss's no huddle? Was that a failure too or are we still running it?

Get rid of the gimmicks: The no huddle burger king flash cards, line up for the extra point and kick it (swinging gate).

Actually, the no huddle has gone away, but they still run the pistol formation about 40%/50% of the time. I think that Bradley works well from that formation so I don't see it going away. I can not rip on the special teams they have played very well this season.

I don't understand why so many are infatuated with Kalen Deboer.........................he was a successful NAIA coach...................that bailed when his program decided to move up and the recruiting parameters would be changed immensely. Southern Illinois had their worst season in years last season after he came aboard...............not at all saying it was because of him, but I fail to see what would make him an attractive head coaching candidate for any FCS program..................

I like the win percentage, and I think he left for a higher level and more money.

I think DeBoer was smart to get out when he did. He now has on his resume` a highly successful stint as a head coach, AND dI coordinator experience, which on paper would seem to make him a viable candidate for an FCS head coaching job, particularly if SIU has a couple of good years. And while their offense wasn't very good last year, I noticed that they did put up 400-plus yards yesterday at Ole Miss, so things must be looking up.

On this board, there have been a number of people that were very high on Tim Miles (well before NDSU's run) and Craig Smith, who are now both at Colorado State. Granted, those two are coaching basketball, but the very same principle applies. Early recognition of coaching talent laboring at lower levels can pay major dividends, especially for a program like UND, which budgets decently for recruiting but not for coaches salaries.

The problem with looking at the FBS level for coaching talent is that even the assistants at mid-majors often make more than Mussman. The whole program underpays coaches relative to the upper tier of the MVFC or Big Sky. (Granted, USD and SDSU pay similarly to UND.) Unless the assistant coaching salaries are significantly increased, Mussman's hands are tied, as he can't pay enough to attract the assistant coaching talent he needs.

You raise a valid point with Buning.. I think he is the AD that signed the Idaho deal and I don't think that UND made much money playing those games. Mussman has been more active with transfers: Bradley, Daniels (LB) and I think a D Line this year from NDSc-W.

The whole football program took a nosedive under Lt Col Buning's watch and we are still reaping the fruits of that administration. The signing of two games with Idaho for only $100 k each was effectively stealing UND football's budget blind. UND should have gotten at least twice that. Ridiculous that the trip ends up costing UND. Doubt any other FCS team has played an FBS team, received a guarantee, and lost money on the deal just on the travel.

I wonder if we could ever land someone like Jim Tressel? He would be expensive, but I'm sure he could build us a legacy. Just a thought.

This guy got busted at Youngstown State before he went to Ohio State IIRC...I'm sure he could build a hell of a legacy... :(

Because he exemplifies what Mussman is not. DeBoer took an NAIA team into an FCS stadium and not only won, but took it to North Dakota. He didn't come in there with the attitude of lets show these guys a competitive game. He came there to win. He exploited UND's weaknesses and the Sioux coaching staff had no answer. It also doesn't hurt that he is from the Dakotas.

I want the guy who comes into each game with that kind of an attitude. If it is not DeBoer, then someone of similar qualities, such as Mike Van Diest of Carroll College. He has won the NAIA national championship 6 times and is well respected amongst the Montana and Montana State crowds. He would have instant credibility in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

When Mussman was hired I was concerned that he'd never held a head coach job.

I see Kalen DeBoer doing all the right things to have his resume in order when an FCS job opens up:

- very winning head coach at NAIA level

- offensive coordinator at FCS level

With him my only question is this: Does he want to move to FBS as an assistant or be a head coach at FCS?

As far as Van Deist at Carroll College: He's been there a long time and rumored to be going to both Montana and Montana State when they had openings. Why would he want to come to UND?

And yes, someone like Bubba Schweigert (FCS coordinator, head coaching experience) would make sense also.

It's early; and Massey had UND with only a 10% chance of beating Idaho this year (and only a 1% chance of beating Fresno State); but I think signs of improvement need to be obvious by year end or the questions will only get louder.

I'm still seeing a Division 2 team playing Division 1 ball. It takes more than more scholarships to be a D 1 contender.

I'd even go as far to say that the #1's on the depth chart in the late 90's and early 2000's were more talented that the #1's the past 3-4 years. There is more depth on the past couple year's teams, but the top end talent hasn't arrived and IMO isn't even as good as it was in our last few D2 years.

To win at this level today a coach has to recruit, bring excitment to the program, coach good to marginal to talent up and coach to WIN football games.

"You play to win the game!"

I have thought for the past few years that Mussman should be his own offensive coordinator, a la Steve Spurrier. It doesn't mean Breitbach should be fired, but I just think Mussman is a much better o-coordinator based upon past results.

Another thought--is there a compelling reason why Kotelnicki has been able to consistently put quality special teams on the field during the transition, but the offense and defense have mostly struggled? I mean, if there are circumstances, e.g. a lack of talent, which excuse in some people's minds the offensive and defensive struggles UND has experienced the past few years, shouldn't those same supposed handicaps similarly impact special teams? Or could it be that Kotelnicki has just done a much better coaching job than the coordinators? I don't know, I'm asking.

I had a question on this. Does anybody know if Kotelnicki even runs all of the special teams? When I played each special team was led by a different coach? Is he getting too much credit for what the special teams does each week?

I'm normally pretty hesitant to express my displeasure with the performance of North Dakota's head coaches. But on the Coach's Show tonight I heard coach Mussman say for about the 9th time since he became coach that although the defense was tired (in the Idaho game), that at some point "they have to make a play to get off the field".

I think at some point, he needs to acknowledge that there is a problem with the offense. He is an offensive coach, but it seems like he holds the defense to a higher standard. The D was stellar in the 1st game and throughout 1st half of the Idaho game. The offense was mediocre against Drake and pitiful against Idaho......................

I had a question on this. Does anybody know if Kotelnicki even runs all of the special teams? When I played each special team was led by a different coach? Is he getting too much credit for what the special teams does each week?

I can't specifically answer this, but he does have the title of "special teams coordinator".

I'm normally pretty hesitant to express my displeasure with the performance of North Dakota's head coaches. But on the Coach's Show tonight I heard coach Mussman say for about the 9th time since he became coach that although the defense was tired (in the Idaho game), that at some point "they have to make a play to get off the field".

I think at some point, he needs to acknowledge that there is a problem with the offense. He is an offensive coach, but it seems like he holds the defense to a higher standard. The D was stellar in the 1st game and throughout 1st half of the Idaho game. The offense was mediocre against Drake and pitiful against Idaho......................

That's exactly right, bad offense leads to bad defense. Even though UND led the game 14-10 at halftime, it was basically on 2 plays (one of which was special teams), the rest of the half was the offense struggling and the defense holding its own until the last couple minutes.

If you take the 2 catches by Hardin from the total yards it leaves North Dakota with a little over 100 yards of offense for the game...that is going to put your defense on the field for a looooong time, and I don't care if you're the UND Fighting Sioux or the Baltimore Ravens you are going to wear down being on the field for 40 minutes a game, it's that simple.

The Sioux were good enough on offense to move the ball against Drake, and the defense did their job by pitching the shutout which shouldn't be overlooked. Then the defense held Idaho to 3 points and around 100 yards until right before halftime, and that shouldn't be overlooked either. But after halftime, when the Sioux could only muster 1 first down and 34 yards in the quarter (27 on one catch by Hardin), the defense was hung out constantly and ran out of gas for lack of a better phrase, and everyone saw the result.

So when Mussman says the defense "has to make a play to get off the field", maybe he should be saying "the offense has to move the chains to keep what appears to be a decent defense fresh and off the field".

So when Mussman says the defense "has to make a play to get off the field", maybe he should be saying "the offense has to move the chains to keep what appears to be a decent defense fresh and off the field".

The defense's job is to get the ball back to the offense and to not allow the opponent to be productive.

The offense's job is to hang onto the ball and be productive with it.

If either fails, both suffer.

The defense's job is to get the ball back to the offense and to not allow the opponent to be productive.

The offense's job is to hang onto the ball and be productive with it.

If either fails, both suffer.

So basically it takes a "Team" effort to Win.....Got it

I agree with your analysis regarding the criticism Mussman chooses to make publicly. At the same time, and I'm speaking as a former defensive player here, it is a bit of chicken and egg. Yes the defense is out there a long time, but why? They can't make a stop on 3rd down. If they stop on third down, they are off the field. That's what the opponent's defense did, made a 3rd down stop. As a defense you have to hold serve in that situation. The opponent made a 3 and out happen, you must do the same. From a defensive perspective, allowing an offense to drive the field on you is the negative equivalent of your offense going 3 and out. Neither side of the ball is doing its job. The offense has just as much validity in saying to the defense "make a 3rd down stop" as the defense has in saying to the offense "get a first down."