SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

After this embarrassment against Idaho when should he get the axe or do we keep him?

I say if Fresno State blows us out...Fire Muss after the game. Then Faison needs to start hunting for a good coach or try like hell to get Lennon back.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

After this embarrassment against Idaho when should he get the axe or do we keep him?

I say if Fresno State blows us out...Fire Muss after the game. Then Faison needs to start hunting for a good coach or try like hell to get Lennon back.

Well, fresno is currently beating Nebraska so I'm not with you there. However, mussman has one job this year and only one. Give Sioux fans legitimate hope for next year. That's it. He doesn't have to beat the defending national champs or beat a BigTen team while they are in transition. He just needs to provide some hope. If he can't do that he should and I think will be canned.

Wait, I've just been informed that South Dakota has accomplished the two things listed above. South Dakota?!? South freaking Dakota?!?! They are in a crap town with crap faciilities and half the athletic budget as UND. Hmm.

Fire Mussman. Now.

Mostly sarcasm, but this has been a very frustrating day.

Edited by PhillySioux

The time to let Muss go was after last season. Now UND is stuck with him for at least 3 more years...counting this one. UND will not fire him prior to the FB program entering the Big Sky next year and he'll get a minimum of 2 years in Big Sky conference as UND won't can him after just one year in the Big Sky.

He's teams are undisciplined, his offensive philosophy is a step up from MN 9-man coaching and he has created no excitement for the program since he arrived. But if his teams can continue to go "toe to toe" with the rest of the opponents on this year's schedule, he'll be just fine?!?!?

• Upvote 2

I agree with fire Mussman......Anyone think that Dale Lennon would be willing to come back after this season when the team is playoff eligible?

What ticked me off the most was the Idaho coaches making a mockery of our defensive coaches.....They'd call time out, draw something up, and a guy would be running wide open to the corner of the end zone. That was unacceptable.....they can't score TD's on basically the same play three times....

Bob Nielson

The numbers speak for themselves. Two NCAA Division II national championships, four Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference titles (including the last three in a row), three perfect 11-0 regular seasons, four NCAA II playoff appearances, 79 victories and a .790 overall winning percentage. Bob Nielson has accomplished all this -- and much more -- in just eight seasons of head coaching activity at the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Nielson returned to the UMD sidelines in 2008 following a four-season hiatus and proceeded to oversee one of the most impressive one-season turnarounds in NCAA Division II history, taking a club which had gone 4-6 in 2007 and molding it into a national champion. Along the way, his Bulldogs rolled up a 15-0 overall mark...

'nuff said

Unfortunately, this loss is tough. Idaho is not the team they were last year and our second half showing was similar to last years showing against Idaho. Im afraid if you are a UND fan and are still overly optimistic about this season youre just being excessively prideful and ignorant. This team has a lot of work to do and todays effort was a disappointment even if it was a against a FBS team (however a poor one that NDSU likely would of beat during their transition). Having a 14 3 lead only to concede 41 straight points is just HORRIBLE! Weve got to make some changes and those changes may be in the form of preparation, play-calling, or even more dramatic, a coaching change. Ill say lets not completely panic just yet; however, if our conference schedule doesnt go that well, we have to give Mussman the boot and bring in a proven winner to this program. NO ONE should be impressed or satisfied with Mussmans efforts since he took over the program.

I would say that after the win over Drake and when we led 14-3 heck 14-10 at halftime I was about ready to say this team is going to be the best since moving to DI but then the 2010 team took the field in the second half and all hope is gone. I say as of now maybe a 5 win season and thats a big MAYBE!! (NAIA wins, UNC, and maybe USD because its at home that would be 6 wins).

I agree with fire Mussman......Anyone think that Dale Lennon would be willing to come back after this season when the team is playoff eligible?

What ticked me off the most was the Idaho coaches making a mockery of our defensive coaches.....They'd call time out, draw something up, and a guy would be running wide open to the corner of the end zone. That was unacceptable.....they can't score TD's on basically the same play three times....

I doubt Lennon would come back unless we'd really, really open up the check book. There are a lot of young coaches out there who would be willing to come to a school in a rock solid conference, that is funded well for this level and has some young talent. It would have been interesting to see who would have applied 4 years ago had they opened up the position when Lennon left.

I feel bad typing sounding so negative on the coaching staff but I am just frustrated about today. The difference between the play from the first to second half was embarrassing and a lot of it had to do with coaching. I'm tired of seeing #7 get beat for 3 TD's in a row and than pump his chest after breaking up a pass or making a tackle. I"m tired of seeing dropped passes on offense. I'm tired of seeing us lose contain of defense over and over and their qb rolls out and completes a pass anywhere from 5-40 yards. I said last week that was going to kill us but no correction was made. We have talent but coaching and discipline kill us. The frustrating part is its the things the players and staff can control and that is whats hard to stomach.

No thanks. He was the biggest pusher behind the scenes for going DI and then bailed when he got what he wanted. We need to be looking towards UMD for our next coach.

Patience - very young offense... this group has some potential give them 3 or 4 more games to get into a flow. Hats off to the special teams today.. just wow - punt return TD, KO returns (great field position), nice coverage. only the punting game was lacking too many touchbacks when they could have pinned them down deep. Defense played fine in the first half - they got worn down and Idaho exposed them with the short passing game in the second.

QB - So. tranfer - 2nd FCS game

WR - True So. McGill/RS So. Hardin

RB - Jr Sutton, with True So. Miller and True Fr. Garmin

Patience - very young offense... this group has some potential give them 3 or 4 more games to get into a flow. Hats off to the special teams today.. just wow - punt return TD, KO returns (great field position), nice coverage. only the punting game was lacking too many touchbacks when they could have pinned them down deep. Defense played fine in the first half - they got worn down and Idaho exposed them with the short passing game in the second.

QB - So. tranfer - 2nd FCS game

WR - True So. McGill/RS So. Hardin

RB - Jr Sutton, with True So. Miller and True Fr. Garmin

Even if we lose against Fresno I will forgive Mussman if UND finishes the year 9-2. But that includes 4-0 in the Great West.

If Mussman only beats Drake, Black Hills State, Montana Western and Sioux Falls (which is very possible) he has to go. I don't see this team winning a single conference game, and am having doubts about the Northern Colorado game. Bring in an FBS coordinator with broad recruiting ties. We have no business being in a worse position than USD.

I don't see a change coming soon if the sentiments of UND's Associate AD and radio announcer Sean Johnson is any indication. I was in the car and heard his post game interviews with some players and listening to him and the players, it sounded like they played a great game and were pretty pleased with their play. I was surprised to hear the final score. I figured it had to be a Sioux win or at least a close game. I didn't hear Mussman inteviewed after the game, so I don't know how he sounded.

I don't see a change coming soon if the sentiments of UND's Associate AD and radio announcer Sean Johnson is any indication. I was in the car and heard his post game interviews with some players and listening to him and the players, it sounded like they played a great game and were pretty pleased with their play. I was surprised to hear the final score. I figured it had to be a Sioux win or at least a close game. I didn't hear Mussman inteviewed after the game, so I don't know how he sounded.

It was a good game....until Halftime ended!!

If Mussman only beats Drake, Black Hills State, Montana Western and Sioux Falls (which is very possible) he has to go. I don't see this team winning a single conference game, and am having doubts about the Northern Colorado game. Bring in an FBS coordinator with broad recruiting ties. We have no business being in a worse position than USD.

There is a reason Phil Jackson won with the Bulls, who did nothing before or after Jackson (even with Michael Jordan - yes, Jordan & Pippin left the Bulls the same time Jackson did) & the Lakers (with Kobe Bryant & Shaquille O'Neal), who couldn't win the title before Jackson was their coach. Coaches do make a difference.

I feel bad typing sounding so negative on the coaching staff but I am just frustrated about today. The difference between the play from the first to second half was embarrassing and a lot of it had to do with coaching.

It was a good game....until Halftime ended!!

Sorry, but the Sioux were basically equally as ineffective in the 1st half as they were in the 2nd, save for those 2 big plays................out of 70. Other than that there was basically no difference between the Sioux performance in the first half compared to the second half. Except that the defense continued to get more and more tired as the game went on. Mussman seems to be taking a lot of heat, and perhaps rightfully so, but why is the OC Greg Breitbach getting a pass? He was the genious behind the pistol last year, and calls all the plays. Honestly though, I didn't have any problem with play calling today, just execution.........................

Bob Nielson

'nuff said

D2 is different than when NDSU and even UND were in it. A lot of quality teams (sans GV St.) have been moving up. D2 includes Minot and Mary, hence it is irrelevant. UND has some work to do, whether thats fire Mussman or keep him, without a doubt, something needs to be done, I wouldn't make a big deal out of squandering a14-3 lead, I'd make a big deal out of the serious lack of talent and what not on UND's roster. UND( while I hate them) is too decent of a school to have a football team that is that bad, unaccepable. Makes you guys having the Nickel feel that much worse for us Bison fans ;)