SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

UND Fan

It looks like ORU was one of the last four out of the tournament. They had a very nice team. Best of luck to ORU as they move to the Southland.

What a winter season for the UND:

W-Basketball - GW Champ and postseason bid

M-Basketball - GW Champ and postseason bid

M-Hockey - WCHA 5 final five trip and pending NCAA bid

W-Hockey - First NCAA bid in program history and hometown canidate for Patty Kazmaier Award for best female collegiate hockey player.

I quite agree. What a fantastic winter season for basketball teams and the hockey teams. Congrats to stellar performances.

hey kopack/izzo/all annoying bison/ncc 2.1 fans?

ncc2.1 one bid--14th seed

big sky conference one bid --13th seed

with all that smack comin from sioux falls/fargo u would think this might shut them up for the rest of the year. hopefully.

good luck to the griz

Good luck to the Griz; also good luck to the Jackrabbits; after all, UND men did split with the Jackrabbits this year.

With Oral Roberts bolting out of the Summit the RPI in the future for the Summit will take a major hit. Some people are even worrying about Oakland leaving the Siummit. If they left too the Summit RPI in the future won't be very impressive.

Yet it will still be higher then the Big Sky.

Yet it will still be higher then the Big Sky.

If Oakland and ORU left the Summit I would be willing to bet that the RPI for the Summit would fall below the Big Sky. Time will tell but I think you might be wrong on that one. Every year can be different but I am thinking what the general pattern would be. In the past was the MidCon higher than the Big Sky? As far as the future if those 2 schools left the past wouldn't matter because you would have a whole new set of schools now.

RPI over the past 9 seasons:

2011-12: Summit 16, Big Sky 25

2010-11: Summit 21, Big Sky 24

2009-10: Summit 23, Big Sky 18

2008-09: Summit 26, Big Sky 24

2007-08: Summit 22, Big Sky 25

2006-07: Summit 22, Big Sky 24

2005-06: Summit 29, Big Sky 17

2004-05: Summit 24, Big Sky 29

2003-04: Summit 20, Big Sky 23

For the most part the conferences are similar with a slight edge overall in recent years to the Summit. If you took by far the 2 best teams out of the Summit recently, I definitely feel the Big Sky will be ahead of the Summit.

Oral Roberts won the Summit regular season title handily. To lose like that at home in the NIT doesn't say much for the strength of the Summit. Very disappointing finish for Oral Roberts.

WISC 73

Montana 49

ORU were struggeling down the stretch, and DO MO had a habit of disappearing from games late in the year. There was also great disappointment in Tulsa when ORU did not make the NCAA tournament and it is likely Scott Sutton has already told his players he may not be back. Oh, Nevada is a solid ball club.

As for strength, see above score. Also see 5 Summit teams in postseason. Two from the Big Sky. Next year expect that the Summit will have 3 - 4 (SDSU, NDSU, Oakland, WIU) in the top 100 in RPI. SDSU will likely be in the top 50 again with NDSU not far behind. The Summit will also drop another bottom feeder in SUU (going to Big Sky). The Big Sky will have Montana in the top 100, and maybe Weber. After those two..., not much to talk about.

You refer to SUU as a bottom feeder but they did sweep Western Illinois this year.. They also beat Oakland in your conference tourney. The big Sky should have 3 or 4 in the top 100 next year too. Weber State, Montana, maybe Suu and of course UND. Some other team from the Big Sky might step up too. UND did beat your Madness representative SDSU by 19. UND handled NDSU too. Just my opinion as your ideas are just opinions too.

• 1 month later...

From the Indy Star:

Gentry, on the other hand, wasn't satisfied after averaging 5 minutes per game 900 miles from home. When the coaching staff discussed redshirting him next season, he decided to seek a transfer. Though there was a multi-step process Gentry had to go through, he secured a release.

"I was going to have to go through another year of not seeing the floor, and I just decided that wasn't for me,'' he said. "(But the school has) been really good, it wasn't a bad breakup or anything like that. I really feel like a mistake I made the first time was that I rushed my decision a little bit. And so I'm really trying to take my time with this one and make sure I get it right."

Would they really redshirt a player there sophomore year?

From the Indy Star:

Gentry, on the other hand, wasn't satisfied after averaging 5 minutes per game 900 miles from home. When the coaching staff discussed redshirting him next season, he decided to seek a transfer. Though there was a multi-step process Gentry had to go through, he secured a release.

"I was going to have to go through another year of not seeing the floor, and I just decided that wasn't for me,'' he said. "(But the school has) been really good, it wasn't a bad breakup or anything like that. I really feel like a mistake I made the first time was that I rushed my decision a little bit. And so I'm really trying to take my time with this one and make sure I get it right."

If he's not any good and they want him to leave and open up a scholarship.....

From the Indy Star:

Redshirts have been used during every school year for a variety of reasons. If the coaches felt he had the ability to develop into a productive player why not redshirt him?

Redshirts have been used during every school year for a variety of reasons. If the coaches felt he had the ability to develop into a productive player why not redshirt him?

I guess I don't know. I just had never really heard of anyone being redshirted unless they are either a freshman or are medical redshirted. Anyways I can see why they would.

I guess I don't know. I just had never really heard of anyone being redshirted unless they are either a freshman or are medical redshirted. Anyways I can see why they would.

A lot of times I've heard of redshirting if someone had a serious injury toward the end of a season and wouldn't be fully healthy for a significant portion of the next year. They don't qualify as a medical redshirt, but don't want to waste an entire year of eligibility for a small number of games. Other times I've heard of them doing it if they had to use them as true freshman because of numbers, but once they get a full roster one of the next couple years they may give a player some time to finish developing so he can have 1 or 2 really strong years at the end of his career.