SiouxSports.com Forum

VB: North Dakota v. NDSU

bincitysioux

Just got back from the match. Great night of volleyball and a nice crowd at the Betty. NDSU has a solid and sweatty ;) team and this was a big win for the Sioux program. Coach Hardee has done a fantastic job turning the program around. I don't know how long he will stick around but hopefully he will be here to lead the first Sioux team to an NCAA national tournament bid. Way to go ladies!

Congrats to the Sioux ladies on a great win!

Record crowd for volleyball and a great atmosphere.

Bison fans are probably b*tching and moaning about their play, but this Sioux team is for real. If it hadn't been for the large number of service errors in the second set by the Sioux, the Sioux could have easily swept the match.

Hardee has this team on the way to being a very special program. Hopefully he stays and continues building.

In the Midwest, UNI is a top 10 team in the nation, and Creighton is a top 20 program. The Midwest and California are the top recruiting areas for volleyball. The Betty is perfect for volleyball, so UND has the facilities to recruit that many other programs can't match.

Congrats to the Sioux ladies on a great win!

Record crowd for volleyball and a great atmosphere.

Bison fans are probably b*tching and moaning about their play, but this Sioux team is for real. If it hadn't been for the large number of service errors in the second set by the Sioux, the Sioux could have easily swept the match.

Hardee has this team on the way to being a very special program. Hopefully he stays and continues building.

In the Midwest, UNI is a top 10 team in the nation, and Creighton is a top 20 program. The Midwest and California are the top recruiting areas for volleyball. The Betty is perfect for volleyball, so UND has the facilities to recruit that many other programs can't match.

Not a big volleyball follower....but aren't the teams separated by a net? How can one volleyball team complain about the play of another volleyball team? I mean, its not like they're out there throwing elbows.....are they?

Not a big volleyball follower....but aren't the teams separated by a net? How can one volleyball team complain about the play of another volleyball team? I mean, its not like they're out there throwing elbows.....are they?

Bison fans are making excuses for their loss, which is normal for whenever that school loses in anything.

Perhaps the team was intimidated by the crowd, as the bison players sure seemed to be sweating a lot - and then wiping up the floor to delay play when the momentum was against them.

I'm not exactly sure what NDSU is complaining about but all I know is UND has the best volleyball team in the state. UND also now holds the attendance record for a volleyball game in the state. NDSU did hold the record of 2200 for a match. Great showing by the UND fans.

UND needs to create this kind of support for all of the sports. Hardee has done a great job in bringing VB from obscurity to prominence. UND now has the largest crowd to ever watch a VB match (2,394) to go along with the largest crowd to watch college BB (13,280) in ND.

Sioux top Bison in front of largest volleyball crowd in UND history

I got to watch bits and pieces of the match and it sounded like the home crowd was really into it.

After the game tonight, does any reasonable person still think that UND and NDSU shouldn't be playing in all sports? There is no doubt in my mind, that the rivalry should be happening in every sport every year. Go Sioux!

That game was great because the teams were on par with each other. A football game would stink more that the basketball game because it would be a blowout. UND and NDSU are in different conferences and in a sport such as football, don't have enough dates to be playing each other on a regular schedule. Minor sports and Basketball it will probably work out, but not at all in football. There may be an occasional game sometime in the future, but with the schools in different conferences, it will never be an annual event.

That game was great because the teams were on par with each other. A football game would stink more that the basketball game because it would be a blowout. UND and NDSU are in different conferences and in a sport such as football, don't have enough dates to be playing each other on a regular schedule. Minor sports and Basketball it will probably work out, but not at all in football. There may be an occasional game sometime in the future, but with the schools in different conferences, it will never be an annual event.

I respect your opinion Wyo but its funny how a 40 point victory over a team in a "need based" scholorship only league who won two games last year makes a fanbase puff its chest. While I'm not sure UND has the depth to compete with NDSU in football I find it comical how a blowout is always assumed by you bison fans. I guess its pretty easy to type it when you and I know the teams aren't going to play for a while. Gene still has some excuses up his sleeve.

As far as the game last night the excuses on the bison board are pretty comical. Apparently the bison were overlooking the Sioux, could care less about the game, beat themselves, are still the superior team and UND's fanbase was what all bison fans expected. I truely hope no one's feelings got hurt to bad. :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UND needs to create this kind of support for all of the sports. Hardee has done a great job in bringing VB from obscurity to prominence. UND now has the largest crowd to ever watch a VB match (2,394) to go along with the largest crowd to watch college BB (13,280) in ND.

Sioux top Bison in front of largest volleyball crowd in UND history

I got to watch bits and pieces of the match and it sounded like the home crowd was really into it.

Any chance of beating this record when NDSU is at UND?

Congrats to the VB team. Way to kick the Bison's @ss!!!!!

Any chance of beating this record when NDSU is at UND?

Congrats to the VB team. Way to kick the Bison's @ss!!!!!

It would be pretty tough I would think. The old record was for a UND vs. Kansas game at the Ralph and Kansas has a ND boy starting for them. This game is also at the Ralph...don't know how many more people could fit. What is the "capacity" for Bball at the Ralph?

It would be pretty tough I would think. The old record was for a UND vs. Kansas game at the Ralph and Kansas has a ND boy starting for them. This game is also at the Ralph...don't know how many more people could fit. What is the "capacity" for Bball at the Ralph?

"Official" basketball capacity is 12119, but it depends on what type of bleachers and/or chairs are used at the ends of the court (higher bleachers allow more people near the court, but obstruct the view of fans behind the "goals"). The Kansas game attendance would be difficult to match, as the Ralph was new, and a lot of people just came to gawk at it. Also, true Kansas fans made up maybe 10% of those in attendance, while a lot of people came to see (and cheer) Boschee.

http://www.wegoplaces.com/Activity_237113.aspx

Basketball seating capacity: 12,119

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2001/dec/22/jayhawks_dominate_over/?mens_basketball

The Kansas University men's basketball team posted a resounding 108-77 win over NCAA Divsion II North Dakota Saturday in front of a sell out crowd of 13,000 at Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2001/dec/23/kansas_guard_treated/?mens_basketball

"This place is absolutely gorgeous," said Kansas University athletics director Al Bohl, a man never at a loss for words. "But we still want Allen Fieldhouse."

In truth, Engelstad Arena makes Allen Fieldhouse look like a corn crib, but you can't put a price tag on tradition. Still, if someone wants to contribute less than $100 million to renovate the Home of the Jayhawks, fine. Like enough money to strengthen the roof to install a new scoreboard with four video screens and ear-pleasing acoustics. Just like Englestad Arena.

Bohl, it goes without saying, would also love to have the arena's 48 luxury suites and, my favorite, the 900-foot seamless video fascia ring that wraps around the entire arena between the lower and upper bowls. Then there are the lazer lights and the marble floors and the well, I could go on and on

To put it another way, few people in Kansas, when they heard the Jayhawks would be playing at North Dakota (at North Dakota????), realized the game would be played in a hoops (and hockey) Taj Mahal.

If UND can maintain volleyball attendance at 800+ / match for the rest of the season, UND should make the top 50 in attendance this year.

2010 Volleyball Attendance Leaders (Averages)

1. Hawaii 6169

2. Nebraska 4639

3. Wisconsin 3737

10. Wichita St 2501

14. N Iowa 2116

37. Creighton 1101

43. NDSU 987

47. No Colorado 963

NCAA volleyball attendance leaders

"Official" basketball capacity is 12119, but it depends on what type of bleachers and/or chairs are used at the ends of the court (higher bleachers allow more people near the court, but obstruct the view of fans behind the "goals"). The Kansas game attendance would be difficult to match, as the Ralph was new, and a lot of people just came to gawk at it. Also, true Kansas fans made up maybe 10% of those in attendance, while a lot of people came to see (and cheer) Boschee.

Too lazy to look it up, but what is the capacity for Bball at the Alerus? If the Sioux-Bison game were played there, perhaps it would have a chance to be a record crowd although doubtful since the game is "meaningless" other than it being a rivalry game.

Too lazy to look it up, but what is the capacity for Bball at the Alerus? If the Sioux-Bison game were played there, perhaps it would have a chance to be a record crowd although doubtful since the game is "meaningless" other than it being a rivalry game.

Only the movable half of the west end stands are used for basketball in the Alerus, so it's capacity is actually less (9500).

Only the movable half of the west end stands are used for basketball in the Alerus, so it's capacity is actually less (9500).

Thanks...wasn't sure if there was a way to center the court on the "fifty yard line" and make it work. Obviously the permanent stands would be a bit far from the court.

Last year when the volleyball team played in Fargo there was a lot of excitement for the game. People were wondering why NDSU didn't play the game at the BSA which holds more people. NDSU said that they will always play their games at the Benson Fieldhouse because it is their home for volleyball. Benson Fieldhouse will not hold 2400. Now that UND holds the attendance record I will be willing to guess that NDSU in the future will all of a sudden be willing to move the the Bison/Sioux game to a venue which holds more people so they can recapture the attendance record for the state. Of course that is if NDSU is wiling to play UND. NDSU might not want to play us anymore. I am sure in hindsight they are wishing they hadn't played us last night.

Last year when the volleyball team played in Fargo there was a lot of excitement for the game. People were wondering why NDSU didn't play the game at the BSA which holds more people. NDSU said that they will always play their games at the Benson Fieldhouse because it is their home for volleyball. Benson Fieldhouse will not hold 2400. Now that UND holds the attendance record I will be willing to guess that NDSU in the future will all of a sudden be willing to move the the Bison/Sioux game to a venue which holds more people so they can recapture the attendance record for the state. Of course that is if NDSU is wiling to play UND. NDSU might not want to play us anymore. I am sure in hindsight they are wishing they hadn't played us last night.

NDSU is actually hosting Iowa State on Friday and Saturday this weekend in Fargo. Iowa State is currently ranked #17 in the country I believe. Those games are being played in Bentson Bunker as well. I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't move those games to the BSA

Hardee is doing a fantastic job with this program. I certainly don't pretend to be a great volleyball mind, so a question for those who may be--is there someting unique about volleyball which makes it immune to the usual excuses about why sports often struggle during the dI transition? Volleyball has the same handicaps as the other non-hockey sports, e.g. lack of a real conference, lack of post season, etc., correct? It's just interesting that a program which was never a power in dII has done so well the past three years, whereas some other sports which were powers in dII have struggled.

Hardee is doing a fantastic job with this program. I certainly don't pretend to be a great volleyball mind, so a question for those who may be--is there someting unique about volleyball which makes it immune to the usual excuses about why sports often struggle during the dI transition? Volleyball has the same handicaps as the other non-hockey sports, e.g. lack of a real conference, lack of post season, etc., correct? It's just interesting that a program which was never a power in dII has done so well the past three years, whereas some other sports which were powers in dII have struggled.

Am certainly not a volleyball mind, but there's demographic reasons UND can excel:

1. Midwest and California are best recruiting grounds, so even lower level conference like the MAC, MoValley, Big West, West Coast, and Horizon can have power teams. Height and coordination matter - not as much athleticism is needed as in basketball - so Midwestern girls can really excel in the sport.

2. A number of BCS programs place little emphasis on volleyball - the Big East and SEC, with a few exceptions (like Florida and Tennessee), are relatively mediocre conferences.

3. The South and East Coast generally just don't value volleyball at the H.S. level. In the Midwest, it's a reasonably popular and respected sport.

4. VB only allows 12 scholarships - compared to 15 for women's BB. So in UND's case, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska aren't signing talent that just sits on the bench like they do in women's basketball.

5. Facilities - the Betty is practically built for volleyball. Most DI schools play volleyball in a cavernous arena or in a cracker box gym, so either have no home field advantage or are non-fan friendly.