SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in the Big Sky

GeauxSioux

July 1, 2012 is the date that UND is officially a member of the Big Sky Conference. I am confident that all of the details regarding the nickname/logo can be worked out to make this happen. Less than a year and UND will be in the best FCS conference in the land.

And now with the hockey program exploring a new conference, these are exciting times at UND.

• Upvote 1

July 1, 2012 is the date that UND is officially a member of the Big Sky Conference. I am confident that all of the details regarding the nickname/logo can be worked out to make this happen. Less than a year and UND will be in the best FCS conference in the land.

And now with the hockey program exploring a new conference, these are exciting times at UND.

I agree with your whole post. UND will still be in the conference but without the nickname and logo, and these are exciting times for UND sports.

The NCAA is just too powerful. I'd say I'm a hockey guy 1st, but very supportive of all sports at UND. This opportunity to be in the Big Sky is just too big, the NCAA has the trump card. Things could have been different with a vote at Standing Rock or our leadership would have been supportive of the Fighting Sioux name. President Kelley & the NCAA are liberal thinking people, they know what's best for everyone. :angry:

Political Correctness has taken over this country like wildfire the past few years. If we have to give up the greatest nickname & logo in the country, I hope we just go with the University of North Dakota. President Kelley seems like a nice person, but people will never forget how he handled the Fighting Sioux nickname issue. I don't think I'm alone on this.

• Upvote 1

I'm very ready for Big Sky play to start. When those first football schedules came out; well, let's just say that's the most excited I've been as it relates to football in general in a long time. UND definitely needs the Big Sky at this point to increase the competitiveness of our athletic teams. I think the football team will be there by next year, and the basketball team may get there as well. Exciting times indeed!

The ramblings of an oft banned poster...Big Sky Sends UND a Warning: We Have A Problem

I love the post by a UNI fan that UND's record against the other Dakota schools.

That is an awesome post. I hate JBB and his Dakota 3 BS. All because the South Dakota teams face the Bison big deal. Tell you what when we play NDSU and beat them there will be no mention of JBB's Dakota 3 Championship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Big Sky presidents meet in Utah tomorrow (Oct 18). Dom Izzo on WDAY-TV sounded giddy when he speculated that the UND moniker might be a topic of conversation for the BSC presidents.

Folks, quite simply, UND needs to retire this moniker; then, after Spirit Lake whups up on the NCAA (in a Federal discrimination case) the name can be restored by the direction of the Spirit Lake Tribe. Otherwise, UND is screwed.

Big Sky presidents meet in Utah tomorrow (Oct 18). Dom Izzo on WDAY-TV sounded giddy when he speculated that the UND moniker might be a topic of conversation for the BSC presidents.

Folks, quite simply, UND needs to retire this moniker; then, after Spirit Lake whups up on the NCAA (in a Federal discrimination case) the name can be restored by the direction of the Spirit Lake Tribe. Otherwise, UND is screwed.

I agree with this. As of right now we are going to have to get rid of it. If they (Spirit Lake) takes the NCAA to federal court and it gets restored then I'm all for it. But lets not count our chickens before they hatch and end up having our invite revoked and lose our name.

Are you preaching to lawmakers?

• 4 months later...

Saw this on eGriz on a new thread labeled "UND in the Big Sky? In or out?" regarding the nickname issue. Had to copy the lone post from the Bobcats version of Lakes, recently changed his name but the idiocy remains the same:

UND in the Big Sky? In or Out?

icon_post_target.gifby Cats2605 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 pm

SiouxFan2012 wrote:Your feedback is very helpful. I hope we can root against each other in the future. We need to start a league with UM, MSU, UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD. Now that would be a good league!

Keep your Mascot & get the hell out of the Big Sky. Nobody cares about your 100 million dollar hockey arena. Hockey is for The mounted police. Go join the Dakota big 3 & leave, but definately keep mascot.Cats2605

And they wonder why we can't stand the Cats out here?

The fact that he used the term "Dakota Big 3" and referenced hockey and the ralph means that it is likely just another bison troll.

Sad.

I guess it is possible that it is actually Lakes, he might have been banned and picked a name close to a known Cat instigator (cats2506) hoping nobody would notice. That wouldn't surprise me.

Saw this on eGriz on a new thread labeled "UND in the Big Sky? In or out?" regarding the nickname issue. Had to copy the lone post from the Bobcats version of Lakes, recently changed his name but the idiocy remains the same:

UND in the Big Sky? In or Out?

icon_post_target.gifby Cats2605 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 pm

SiouxFan2012 wrote:Your feedback is very helpful. I hope we can root against each other in the future. We need to start a league with UM, MSU, UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD. Now that would be a good league!

Keep your Mascot & get the hell out of the Big Sky. Nobody cares about your 100 million dollar hockey arena. Hockey is for The mounted police. Go join the Dakota big 3 & leave, but definately keep mascot.Cats2605

And they wonder why we can't stand the Cats out here?

That would be JBB. Over on CS.com he wants UND to keep the nickname (guess why) and he loves the "Dakota Big 3".