SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball Recruiting

GeauxSioux

9 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I believe Hunt is a 6'3" MB - she played with a good JR team over the summer.

We also had a commitment from OH Brynn Nieukirk, 6'2”, Washington (Community), IL.  I don't if she is still expected to sign. 

Nieukirk is in. 

• 2 months later...

Pryor may be attempting to get someone to replace Merseli.  They both are listed as OH, but are really rover types.  The typical OH only plays in the front row, but they seem much more mobile full time players including defense in the back row.

UConn had a new coach last season, so it wasn't the same situation she signed for.

12 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Pryor may be attempting to get someone to replace Merseli.  They both are listed as OH, but are really rover types.  The typical OH only plays in the front row, but they seem much more mobile full time players including defense in the back row.

UConn had a new coach last season, so it wasn't the same situation she signed for.

Also, UConn volleyball is not very good relatively speaking finished with q losing record last year.  Lost to Sac St. 3-2.  But it is interesting that she chose to head so far west.  At 5'9" I agree that she will more in be in the Merselli mode, hitting back row and some OH.  She appears to be very good on defense and collecting digs.  

18 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

2 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Also, UConn volleyball is not very good relatively speaking finished with q losing record last year.  Lost to Sac St. 3-2.  But it is interesting that she chose to head so far west.  At 5'9" I agree that she will more in be in the Merselli mode, hitting back row and some OH.  She appears to be very good on defense and collecting digs.  

Got it.  Thanks.  I agree that it's interesting that she chose to come so far west, with her family being in New York.

She hits at the same % as Merseli, .168.  

It does seem odd but on the other hand, I could see someone in her situation looking at UND as a place to go.   With the exception of Wichita St, UND right now is a program on par with all the schools in the American.  So you move to a program that:  a) has similar, if not better, talent; b) schedules aggressively; c) has a strong chance to win its league; and d) plays before 4X the crowd that you do now.

• Upvote 1

Someone needs to remind Tom that we are moving to the Summit for all sports except football (and hockey) for next year.  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/volleyball/4397153-und-volleyball-lands-uconns-offensive-leader

The UND volleyball team's hopes of three-peating as Big Sky Conference tournament champions received a boost on Thursday.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Seems more and more locals are choosing UND over NDSU, that is sure nice to see especially when we are entering the same conference as them.

The NDSU women sports that locals play are s**t shows, and no locals that are good want to play there.  The Shanley gal probably isn’t even getting a scholarship and will almost assuredly redshirt. 

Pryor has a much higher bar than NDSU can even imagine now.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, MoSiouxFan said:

I know that there can be all kinds of reasons for transferring, but it would be interesting to know why she's leaving UConn to come all the way out to UND.  Nice get.

Hmm... No telling why she left U Conn but now it appears she's no longer with UND (would be interesting to know why), correct?  I assume her time is done here?  If so, academic issues or what? 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

We need a 6 ft 5 inch middle blocker

That would be nice, but they're pretty rare. Finding someone with the mobility you would expect makes it even more difficult. 

What we really need is a live arm on the outside who can consistently score even when we're predictable (the subtitle on that is 'poor passing'). Someone who can finish from the back row is  also a big need, again for bad passes and as a legit option to keep the blockers honest.

If we can find that in one person great, if not, that's why they get 15 subs. :-)