SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball Recruiting

GeauxSioux

Remember - LAST PLACE in the BSC.......... "NDSU - North Dakota State University claimed The Summit League's Dr. Helen Smiley Women's All-Sports Award for the fourth consecutive year, the league office announced Tuesday, June 4.

The Bison won their fourth straight Dr. Helen Smiley Award after placing first in women's cross country, women's indoor track & field, women's golf, softball and women's outdoor track & field. NDSU also won the men's outdoor track & field title and placed in the top-two in seven of its 14 eligible championships."

Yeah that's a mess you'd love to have.

Well, if your happy with the direction of your women's volleyball and basketball programs.......who am I to argue? I'm not going to lie, UND doesn't put much money into the sports above. I mean you have the Summit's leagues best and how many fans do you figure came out last season to support those sports?

Well, if your happy with the direction of your women's volleyball and basketball programs.......who am I to argue? I'm not going to lie, UND doesn't put much money into the sports above. I mean you have the Summit's leagues best and how many fans do you figure came out last season to support those sports?

You're smacking about fan support? Our away fb games get as many fans than your home fb games. (specially counting the MN years)

You're smacking about fan support? Our away fb games get as many fans than your home fb games. (specially counting the MN years)

No they don't Dan. Now your lying. Your away games are four MVFC games where you might have 3-4k if its in SD. How many travel to Youngstown and Macomb and Carbondale and Terre Haute?

I believe that is correct:

2014 Fraase from Shanley

2015 Dooley from Central Cass

Think the dates are messed up, but I forgot about the girl from Central Cass.

2014 Commits:

Griffin (Marshall HS, MN)

Dooley (Central Cass HS, ND)

2015 Commits:

Fraase (Fargo Shanley HS, ND)

#buttFootball....I knew that response was coming.

I thought you wanted to argue about the womens sports you listed. Two of our women's homes basketball games get as many fans as the entire seasons of the women's sports you listed.

UND averaged 8962 last season at home, ISUb 6386 (nope), YSU 14,038 (so only 5900 of those fans were YSU fans), SIU (9550, so only 600 were SIU fans), WIU (9649 so only 700 WIU fans), SDSU 11,843 (so only 1900 Jacks fans at home)..so Lakes want to revamp your numbers a bit.

• Upvote 1

Think the dates are messed up, but I forgot about the girl from Central Cass.

2014 Commits:

Griffin (Marshall HS, MN)

Dooley (Central Cass HS, ND)

2015 Commits:

Fraase (Fargo Shanley HS, ND)

Yes, I did have Dooley and Fraase backwards - thanks for making the correction.

Is there anything other than football in your mind? Do you want to compare attendance at all women's sports, since that is what was being discussed? I think someone already did that and you lost. Do you want to compare total attendance at all men's sports? I think that it's already been done and you lose that. It looks like you put all of your eggs in 1 basket. Hope that bubble doesn't burst on you.

Is there anything other than football in your mind? Do you want to compare attendance at all women's sports, since that is what was being discussed? I think someone already did that and you lost. Do you want to compare total attendance at all men's sports? I think that it's already been done and you lose that. It looks like you put all of your eggs in 1 basket. Hope that bubble doesn't burst on you.

Feel important that you have a sport we don't have that actually excels and has great fan support, and you use that in your figures.

Feel important that you have a sport we don't have that actually excels and has great fan support, and you use that in your figures.

It's all about the total sum of the athletic department, isn't it? You claimed that someone was smacking about "fan support". That fan support includes all fans that are supporting the athletic department and the University. You can't pick and choose a single sport, just because your school happens to be doing well right now. The athletic department is supposed to be more than a single sport, unlike at NDSU where a single sport means everything to you and most NDSU fans. Fan support of the athletic department and the University includes everyone that is paying for tickets and showing up for athletic events, even at games for sports that NDSU doesn't have. If you want to brag about having more fans at football games, just try doing that and prove what a 1 trick pony you are.

And you didn't address the numbers 3 and 8.

Remember - LAST PLACE in the BSC.......... "NDSU - North Dakota State University claimed The Summit League's Dr. Helen Smiley Women's All-Sports Award for the fourth consecutive year, the league office announced Tuesday, June 4.

The Bison won their fourth straight Dr. Helen Smiley Award after placing first in women's cross country, women's indoor track & field, women's golf, softball and women's outdoor track & field. NDSU also won the men's outdoor track & field title and placed in the top-two in seven of its 14 eligible championships."

Yeah that's a mess you'd love to have.

Dan:

I think you are missing the point, your success is based on the fact the you are competing in the Summit League. If your programs moved over the Big Sky only the softball program would have success. The rest would be middle of the pack.

Look at the preseason rankings for CC this year: http://www.ustfccca.org/2013/08/featured/division-i-cross-country-preseason-regional-rankings-released

Mens:

Midwest Region: SDSU (12) and USD (13)

Mountain Region: Defending regional champions from 2012 NAU, 2013 preseason rankings: NAU (1), Weber St (9), S. Utah (10), Montana St (13).

Womens:

Midwest Region: NDSU (6) and USD (15)

Mountain Region: Defending regional champions from 2012 Weber St, 2013 preseason rankings: Weber St (3), NAU (4), S. Utah (5), Idaho St. (12).

Last years team rankings for mens/womens outdoor track:

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2013-otf/NCAAD1_2013_outWk9_TF_NationalRankingsByTeam.pdf

Mens:

Big Sky: NAU(35), Idaho(75), Sac St (84), SUU(98), Idaho St (99), Weber St (101), Montana St (118), UNC (131)

Summit Leage: NDSU (103), USD (131)

Womens:

Big Sky: Weber St (54), NAU (83), Portland St (111), Idaho (137)

Summit League: USD (31), NDSU (96)

Golf Rankings:

Mens:

Big Sky: Idaho (107), Sac St (144), UNC (149), SUU (152), Weber St (199)

Summit: Denver (104), NDSU (189), SDSU (195)

Womens:

Big Sky: Idaho (89), Portland St (99), NAU (103), Sac St (144), Weber St (155), S. Utah (156), Montana (169), UNC (179), Montana St (186)

Summit: Denver (35), NDSU (160), IUPUI (169)

Softball Rankings:

The Summit does have a nice softball conference compared to Big Sky.

Big Sky: Portland St (152), Idaho St (184)

Summit: NDSU (62), Omaha (71), IPFW (89), USD (145), W. Ill (167)

Simply put NDSU would not be winning those trophies in the Big Sky plain and simple - best of luck and thank you for your interest in UND sports.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Minus (5)

T&F NDSU

CC NDSU

Soccer NDSU

Softball NDSU

Gof NDSU

BB UND

VB UND

I'd give NDSU the solid advantage in 5 Women's sports vs. 2 right now where the 2 schools compete. Hopefully our BB coach is not renewed in 2014, and a new era can begin. NDSU has been in the ncaa tournament in VB, Soccer, SB, with some great national successes in T&F and Gof. If you want to talk womens sports, NDSU has been far superior and more successful in DI. Only BB has not been on the national stage (CC I have no idea). VB is definitely a concern for NDSU right now.

Anyone catch that soccer match today?

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

And the North Dakota theme just keeps getting better. 6'3" middle hitter Faith Dooley commits to UND.

http://www.inforum.c...group/homepage/

Dooley signed her Letter of Intent yesterday. http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/89952/ Dooley and her Central Cass Squirrels will play for the Region 1 championship tonight for a berth in the State Tournament.

Kinda looking ahead at the class of 2014, but it appears that UND has gotten a verbal commitment from 5'11 S/OH Sydney Griffin from Marshall, MN. Currently the #6 rated Junior in the BreakdownUSA recruiting ranks (which does the preseason books for Minnesota, same place where SiouxVolley got his info). This girl has come a long way since playing varsity as a freshman, and she is only getting better as a player. She is part of a very strong program and a great coach. She is like a swiss army knife of a volleyball player.

http://www.marshalli...s.html?nav=5021

Griffin signed her Letter of Intent yesterday, too. http://www.marshallindependent.com/page/content.detail/id/542520/VOLLEYBALL--Beekman--Bennett--Griffin-make-college-choices.html?nav=5021

Marshall must have some volleyball program!! Height with athleticism is such a premium in volleyball recruiting so this class excels. If Dooley and Gentili make the lineup immediately, this program can be even more dominant.

It is one of the best programs in the state of Minnesota. Not only did they win 3 in a row, they have won 6 of the past 10 state championships. That group is one of the best that ever came out of the program (and that says a lot). There is a lot of great volleyball played down in SW Minnesota. Its one of the reasons year in and year out SMSU is strong.

Griffin has come a long way from being a raw setter to being a jack of all trades type of player. She will be a great player for UND.

If Dooley and Gentili make the lineup immediately, this program can be even more dominant.

I hadn't heard of Gentili until yesterday. In the picture of the 3 recruits, she looks to be about the same height as Dooley. I agree that these 3 players could be even better than the 3 seniors they're replacing. Very much looking forward to future volleyball seasons!

I hadn't heard of Gentili until yesterday. In the picture of the 3 recruits, she looks to be about the same height as Dooley. I agree that these 3 players could be even better than the 3 seniors they're replacing. Very much looking forward to future volleyball seasons!

I wonder if Dooley of Central Cass wouldn't have interest for big time schools if she hadn't signed earlier. She more than a hitter than the Fargo North player last year who signed with Nebraska.

There's no reason that this shouldn't be a Top 30 program like N Iowa and Creighton with the Betty. After all, Minnesota is a recruiting hotbed. It will be hard to replace Munkeby (Big Sky POY?) and Parlich, but it seems Hardee is on the right track. If you can make the NCAAs without winning the conference tournament, that should be a program goal.

I wonder if Dooley of Central Cass wouldn't have interest for big time schools if she hadn't signed earlier. She more than a hitter than the Fargo North player last year who signed with Nebraska.

There's no reason that this shouldn't be a Top 30 program like N Iowa and Creighton with the Betty. After all, Minnesota is a recruiting hotbed. It will be hard to replace Munkeby (Big Sky POY?) and Parlich, but it seems Hardee is on the right track. If you can make the NCAAs without winning the conference tournament, that should be a program goal.

I looked at all the Nebraska box scores for this season, and Kira Larsen has not played yet. Perhaps she is being red-shirted, or perhaps she won't see much time with one of the nation's elite programs.

A consitent top 30 program would be a tall order, but we may be able to crack top 30 RPI on occasion. Our end-of-the-season RPI was 52 in 2011.

A consitent top 30 program would be a tall order, but we may be able to crack top 30 RPI on occasion. Our end-of-the-season RPI was 52 in 2011.

Consistent Top 50 program then. Playing in the Big Sky, its tough to crack the top 30 playing teams ranked 200 spots lower. But then again, with Trefz, Smed, Munkeby, and Parlich, we also did it playing in the Great West.

• 3 weeks later...