SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I think most of us can agree that nearly all UND supporters would choose to retain the Fighting Sioux name. But, as this week's Big Sky warning letter indicates, baring an unlikely reversal at Standing Rock, we likely won't have that option without repercussions from the Big Sky Conference as well as the NCAA and other universities. We are now potentially facing being expelled from the BSC if we persist, which would be the deathblow for UND sports other than hockey. Now, we can sit back and let others choose our new name, or we can take the offensive and help take charge of our future. What name do we prefer?

The main thing that I loved about the Fighting Sioux logo was that it was entirely unique. There are a lot of institutions using the same the logo and mascots like the Huskies, Eagles, Trojans, Aggies, and Bison. But only one Fighting Sioux, it set us apart and said that we are a university worthy of our own personal identity. I agree with you, that keeping the logo could very possibly spell certain doom for UND athletics. However, could we forego a nickname and logo for a period of time in order to find something unique and worthy of UND? Just my opinion.

Maybe this is a wake up call for the politicians who are involved with the State Law (Gov, AG, etc.) to get a meeting with the NCAA and or the Big Sky and start talking about this issue instead of just playing this out until August. July 1st 2012 we are supposed to be BSC members BUT we can easily get booted before hand. We are NOT "official" members until that date so why get the conference mad but just sitting and doing nothing. Get the NCAA on the phone and get something done not in 2 months not in a month but......NOW!!!

Maybe this is a wake up call for the politicians who are involved with the State Law (Gov, AG, etc.) to get a meeting with the NCAA and or the Big Sky and start talking about this issue instead of just playing this out until August. July 1st 2012 we are supposed to be BSC members BUT we can easily get booted before hand. We are NOT "official" members until that date so why get the conference mad but just sitting and doing nothing. Get the NCAA on the phone and get something done not in 2 months not in a month but......NOW!!!

I agree with you completely.

ND will be hard pressed to get the NCAA in any room while (in their mind) the constitutionality of the nickname law is in question.

How do you figure? The way I see it...

A. We still have the opportunity to force the NCAA by law to allow us to use the current name if and when this thing goes to court.

B. There is no rule in place that mandates all schools to have a nickname. There's no reason why we can't be the University of North Dakota football team, University of North Dakota hockey team, etc...

I feel the same way, if we can't be the Sioux then we should just be the University of North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

I feel the same way, if we can't be the Sioux then we should just be the University of North Dakota.

It ain't gonna happen. So, we can either decide we're going to be part of the solution -- lend our voices to determining the new nickname -- or we can let others decide for us. I choose the former.

It ain't gonna happen. So, we can either decide we're going to be part of the solution -- lend our voices to determining the new nickname -- or we can let others decide for us. I choose the former.

The problem with that is they could choose the best nickname on the planet and people here will absolutely hate it, we should at least wait 6-10 years before moving on. Look at Ole Miss, they gave hardcore supporters an appropriate amount of time to grieve before beginning the search for a replacement. I wish there were someway to change the Sioux logo for all sports with the exception of men's hockey (that's where it will hurt the most to see it's absence)

Well the "Flames" better not be the name! I could think of a thousand slams with that name! Don't like it! This is all a friggin joke! Why can't they just get the vote from the tribe? Wouldn't that solve everything?

It would. And in a perfect world they would do a tribe wide vote today. But its not a perfect world, and they wish to do things their way. There is NOTHING we can do to change the minds at Standing Rock (or the NCAA).

That's a shame. We will miss you.

Old Nickname = no conference affiliation, trouble scheduling games, a serious decline in ability to recruit, and ultimately the demise of UND athletics.

I think what he is saying is, no nickname (for at least a period of time)= and there will be less resistance from Sioux nickname supporters. I feel the same way, why must we rush head first into a new nickname, it is an unnecessary evil.

I think what he is saying is, no nickname (for at least a period of time)= and there will be less resistance from Sioux nickname supporters. I feel the same way, why must we rush head first into a new nickname, it is an unnecessary evil.

I like that idea as well, no new nick name!!!

• Upvote 1

If you don't pick something else someone (not necessarily with your best interests in mind) will tag you with one that will more than likely be a left-handed compliment at best.

Control what is yours to control: Pick something and go with it.

This is where Dr. Kelley has failed miserably. All he talked about was taking away. He needs to be talking about replacement also. Imagine it this way: He wants to take our cool '68 Pontiac GTO Judge. But he's not telling us about the new better car we could have so we're all assuming "Yugo". Anyone would be upset by that.

It just feels wrong, UND being called something else is blasphemous to me. I would rather just be UND. It may be necessary to abandon the Sioux name to save the athletic program but it's going to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, mine included. Just give us time to grieve and accept it.

Aside from the "for a period of time" part, that is exactly how I feel. But the thing is I won't be any more accepting of a new nickname 10 or 20 years from now than I am today. I don't know exactly what percentage of the fanbase I represent with that statement, but I do know that I'm not alone in feeling that way.

I agree

This isn't like High School with a Autocratic Admin. & rubber stamp board ....................or is it ?

Aside from the "for a period of time" part, that is exactly how I feel. But the thing is I won't be any more accepting of a new nickname 10 or 20 years from now than I am today. I don't know exactly what percentage of the fanbase I represent with that statement, but I do know that I'm not alone in feeling that way.

I agree with you, I personally would like nothing more than to never have another nickname here at UND. However, 10-20 years from now when we've become a national powerhouse and are playing in a league like the Big 12 or MWC I might not be as resistant to a new generation of UND fans taking ownership and putting their own spin on it.