SiouxSports.com Forum

& what is "taken care of" ?

Fetch

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/ND-chancellor-Goetz-retiring-in-August-2012-1417907.php

Two years before Goetz became chancellor, the NCAA declared the name and logo hostile to American Indians. The Board of Higher Education eventually ordered the name and logo retired, only to be reversed by the North Dakota Legislature, which approved a bill this year requiring UND to keep both.

"The amount of time and energy and thought that has gone into this has been overwhelming, and has taken away from other issues that more time should be spent on," Goetz said. "I hope that steps are going to be taken where we can be expeditious about this, and get it taken care of."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cryptic words from a cryptic and equivocating and double-talking guy. I'm sure he means getting the legislature reversed/invalidated by the Supreme Court and proceeding "expeditiously" with the nickname change. Good riddance.

• Upvote 2

^Maybe he means that the issue is just over: like maybe the NCAA blinks.

You guys are always so glass-half-empty... It is summer: go out and have some fun in the sun.

Are you kidding me? This isn't summer this something else... I haven't decided what but... Yuck... I might have to move south.

& now this http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/206310/

time to hope Engelstad Arena Folks brings in a AHL team & calls it the Fighting Sioux & then use the Ralph for what Ralph wanted - Long Live the Fighting Sioux

Then D1 sports at UND can muddle along

Sports (especially D1) will never be the same in GF if the name is gone & you can thank the NCAA

No, you're wrong. It's an example of the fallout from idiocy of the NCAA "policy" to begin with.

Sorry bro, the NCAA calls the shots here. The State/UND agreed to settle the lawsuit against the NCAA. UND didn't get tribal approval and now the nickname must be retired.

• Upvote 1

Seems like the NCAA got into the Big Sky's ear.

Also, they said they would support the wishes of the Native American tribes. The inference is that the tribes don't want UND to use the nickname. Yet that's not the case with Spirit Lake, and we pretty much know the will of the people in Standing Rock. Of course, the official position of SR is against the nickname, but that only makes it a 50-50 deal in that context.

The divide & wounds will not heal if the NCAA does not re-examine this - why would they want this when they know how important it is not only to UND & Grand Forks but North Dakota

You pro name droppers for the sake of D1 - go start your own thread & have your minority Fun

Another possibility is change to Spirit Lake Sioux - The people I meet - see & talk to here that are Sioux - the vast majority wear Sioux Gear & support the name - again it was wrong & a mistake to have settled for both Tribes to OK the name

Standing Rock is too far away & mostly in SD - That & their Council is holding their people hostage :angry:

The divide & wounds will not heal if the NCAA does not re-examine this - why would they want this when they know how important it is not only to UND & Grand Forks but North Dakota

You pro name droppers for the sake of D1 - go start your own thread & have your minority Fun

Why can't you have a conversation with someone who disagrees with you? Why have them start their own thread? If you thought something like this wasn't going to happen you are lacking vision. Everyone, including the state legislature was warned about this but didn't want to listen. I wish the NCAA would agree to a meeting but in reality they don't have to. When you are the only show in town, you can call your shots. It works that way everywhere in life. Its not always fair, but its the world we live in.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

& as I have said before the amount of Names (cities states etc.) that are Native American in this country - makes any college that won't play us for that reason look like ignorant fools & hippocrates

Just got around to reading the Sports Illustrated article on the Ohio State tatto for logo/Buckeye merchandise scandal. Once again, the NCAA allowsa national championship to be negated by big time university scandal. The corruption that continues under the watchful eye of the NCAA, oh but have a sterling DI hockey team with an Indianhead logo that goes to the National tournament annually, lets spend our focus there....As for me, the NCAA does not dictate what is hostile or abusive, it does not define the iconic history of our region, and it certainly is no one's moral compass. I again recently purchased Fighting Sioux Hockey Season Tickets, and pumped for another run at the WCHA McNaughton Cup, and the WCHA Final Five's Broadmoor Trophy, and a National Championship.

Because that conversation has been said over & over - Try starting your own thread & see how much interest & support it gets - I promise not to post on it or read it anymore

There is still Hope & I will never lose that Hope as long as we still have a chance

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090405111238AAQw23U

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Another possibility is change to Spirit Lake Sioux - The people I meet - see & talk to here that are Sioux - the vast majority wear Sioux Gear & support the name - again it was wrong & a mistake to have settled for both Tribes to OK the name

Agree. Changing the name from "Fighting Sioux" to "Spirit Lake Sioux" is really a game changer at this point.

Spirit Lake has given the name in perpetuity. It totally changes the dynamics of any talks with the NCAA, and with the Big Sky and any other conference or school.

It removes some of the supposedly negative connotations of "Fighting".

It grants Spirit Lake and in turn the Devils Lake region national recognition, which both badly need.

It's a winning idea that even the NCAA would almost have to approve because of Spirit Lake approval.

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, but it was after Nagasaki was bombed. Consider this the atom bomb on Nagasaki for the Fighting Sioux name.

Note 1: I know the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.

Note 2: I'm not trying to make light of a bomb dropped on people.

Because that conversation has been said over & over - Try starting your own thread & see how much interest & support it gets - I promise not to post on it or read it anymore

There is still Hope & I will never lose that Hope as long as we still have a chance

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090405111238AAQw23U

Nice link. Who's quiting? The school can change the nickname and its not going to affect how I feel about the teams, how many games I go to or my season tickets. All I'm saying is I hope there was a plan B when state legislation was passed. There has been more momentum and interest in all UND sports since the announcement of the Big Sky. There are a lot of examples of that. I don't think being forced to drop the nickname will change that, I personally believe losing the Big Sky will.

I am simply stating its time to move into Plan B or the second phase of the state legislatures plan or the die hard nickname supporter's plan, surely there is one right? I hope plan B isn't just to sit around and wait for a vote that may never happen and badmouth anyone who disagrees with their opinion and see's the importance of conference affiliation if we want the successful, well rounded athletic dept we once had.

Nice link. Who's quiting? The school can change the nickname and its not going to affect how I feel about the teams, how many games I go to or my season tickets. All I'm saying is I hope there was a plan B when state legislation was passed. There has been more momentum and interest in all UND sports since the announcement of the Big Sky. There are a lot of examples of that. I don't think being forced to drop the nickname will change that, I personally believe losing the Big Sky will.

I am simply stating its time to move into Plan B or the second phase of the state legislatures plan or the die hard nickname supporter's plan, surely there is one right? I hope plan B isn't just to sit around and wait for a vote that may never happen and badmouth anyone who disagrees with their opinion and see's the importance of conference affiliation if we want the successful, well rounded athletic dept we once had.

Agreed. The time for the legislature to act was a couple of years ago. This has just made things more difficult. The Big Sky doesn't need UND but UND desperately needs the Big Sky (unless all you care about is hockey). As painful as it is to some, and as unfair and wrong as this thing is, it's time to move on and retire the name, and embrace what COULD BE a very, very bright and exciting future for UND sports.

• Upvote 2

Just got around to reading the Sports Illustrated article on the Ohio State tatto for logo/Buckeye merchandise scandal. Once again, the NCAA allowsa national championship to be negated by big time university scandal. The corruption that continues under the watchful eye of the NCAA, oh but have a sterling DI hockey team with an Indianhead logo that goes to the National tournament annually, lets spend our focus there....As for me, the NCAA does not dictate what is hostile or abusive, it does not define the iconic history of our region, and it certainly is no one's moral compass. I again recently purchased Fighting Sioux Hockey Season Tickets, and pumped for another run at the WCHA McNaughton Cup, and the WCHA Final Five's Broadmoor Trophy, and a National Championship.

The NCAA hasn't focused on UND for a while. The lawsuit settled years ago and the NCAA declined the opportunity to come to ND to revisit the nickname issue. The NCAA has moved on. It's time for UND to move on too. There is too much going for UND sports right now to let the nickname hold the school back.