SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

And how many national titles has NDSU won since moving up to the FCS....Zero! They won 2 playoff games since becoming eligible. You have beaten Kansas and Minnesota both had what 4 wins total. You crushed Central Michigan thats like beating a high ranking FCS team. The MAC is not exactly the SEC. You were #1 ranked for awhile during a season in transition didn't matter you weren't playoff eligible. Yes we had an off year last season but NDSU did a 3-8 also. You laugh at our D2/NAIA teams well does Arkansas-Montecello ring a bell or Condordia-St. Paul. Yes even NDSU played down to teams too. UND is looking at the future as well, our first goal is something NDSU wanted but didn't get...The Big Sky. Now we can concentrate on our second goal....a playoff berth.

I have heard UND fans brag about only losing by 25 to Texas Tech and nearly embarrassing Northern Illinois last year who I believe belongs to the MAC. UND fans were laughing up and down NDSU's DI schedule during transition. I can still remember the jokes about Valpraiso coming to Fargo. Guess who's coming to Grand Forks now? Montana Tech was still joked about two years ago. That didn't stop until UND was handed Sioux Falls and Southern Oregon in the same year. NDSU fans tried to explain it all while UND was still D2 but it was nothing but laughs up north. NDSU schedule three non DI schools during their entire transition. UND did that this year alone. I haven't ridiculed UND about their scheduling woes because I know what it's like to have friends from the other side constantly joking about it. I think it is absolutely great that UND made it to the Big Sky. I feel it was the best possible outcome for both schools. You guys are happy out west and we are happy in the mid-west simple as that.

I have heard UND fans brag about only losing by 25 to Texas Tech and nearly embarrassing Northern Illinois last year who I believe belongs to the MAC. UND fans were laughing up and down NDSU's DI schedule during transition. I can still remember the jokes about Valpraiso coming to Fargo. Guess who's coming to Grand Forks now? Montana Tech was still joked about two years ago. That didn't stop until UND was handed Sioux Falls and Southern Oregon in the same year. NDSU fans tried to explain it all while UND was still D2 but it was nothing but laughs up north. NDSU schedule three non DI schools during their entire transition. UND did that this year alone. I haven't ridiculed UND about their scheduling woes because I know what it's like to have friends from the other side constantly joking about it. I think it is absolutely great that UND made it to the Big Sky. I feel it was the best possible outcome for both schools. You guys are happy out west and we are happy in the mid-west simple as that.

As long as everyone is happy. :D

Just like I said in my previous post...Both school have done pretty well without each other for the last 5-6 years.

Really you're happy with UND's transition in fb? Good to know. Which big game win was your favorite? Fact is your fb transition or the rest of your sports have been poor during the transition and that's being kind.

Most of you posting are delusional in trying to compare to the two programs - like comparing gf to Fargo. By the way we had 7 games on TV last year.

• Downvote 2

Really you're happy with UND's transition in fb? Good to know. Which big game win was your favorite? Fact is your fb transition or the rest of your sports have been poor during the transition and that's being kind.

Most of you posting are delusional in trying to compare to the two programs - like comparing gf to Fargo. By the way we had 7 games on TV last year.

Why would you give a crap...we don't play you anymore so why the need for comparisons? Anyone who still wants this crap is delusional...Our best game by the way was the one I flew my Dad and I out to see...Texas Tech...we lost by 20 pts, but prior to the game during discussions with the Texas Tech fans they were all confident they were going to have at least 60 pts and that we would be lucky to get a field goal. 3rd quarter had UND only down by 11 points and in possession of the ball...all of the TT students and fans were in utter shock and the stadium was totally quiet with only the Sioux fans cheering...Let's go Sioux! As my Dad and I walked out of the stadium with our green shirts in a see of Red, we were shocked to be approached by many TT fans stating they thought we had a very strong team and that we should do well with the rest of our season...So how do you like those apples???? As always, the Sioux have grown up without the sister college in Fargo and now its no longer painful to think we don't get to kick your a@# all the time...Again, let it go and concentrate on something important to your team like how to drive the ball into the end zone from the 6 inch line without fumbling!!! What a Troll!

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 2

I agree to some extent with the Fargo residents going to UND because of program interest. I know quite of few people on both side of the fence on that one. Most that I know are transplants however. I think you are forgetting that NDSU has performed well vs. FBS. Wins vs. Ball State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Central Michigan who took a 30 point loss to NDSU the same year they won the MAC conference and eventually lost by three to Purdue in their Bowl game. NDSU has been ranked off and on in the FCS polls starting in their first year of full DI transition and have held the #1 spot in the polls while still in transition. NDSU holds a winning record vs. FBS and FCS competition since moving up and have been averaging well over 15,000 per season. I think recruits see the whole picture don't you? Now what exactly has UND done to change this?

I think recruits see the whole picture don't you?

What recruits see and fans see are two very different things. Each recruiting experience is very different. One recruit my see great support, great coaching and great opportunities. Another recruit may see off the field issues, poor training facilities and a limited academic opportunity. So, generalizations don't work. Your comments are just message board chest pounding - seriously go thump chests on the yotes or bunny boards.

Now what exactly has UND done to change this?

I think that I answered that in my previous post. Again, my initial response was toward the comment about "NDSU has North Dakota and NW Minnesota by the balls when it comes to football exposure". I think it is a silly statement. ND has always been split between UND/NDSU and I don't see that changing for either team and NW Minnesota largely cheers for the U of M in football because they are the only FBS program around. Unless of course everyone stopped cheering for the U of M because they lost to NDSU. Then again if every U of M football fan switched allegiance because of a loss the residents of Minnesota would have a lot of football jerseys in the closet including Yote gear.

Well I admit that it hasn't been all roses, but.................

My favorite big game win was rolling over #16 ranked Cal Poly.....................

Moral victory's suck, but I was impressed with our showing against Texas Tech who was at one time ranked #1 in FBS the prior season. Would have liked to have pulled off the upset against NIU, but came up short.

Some of the rest of the teams have struggled at times, but women's basketball won a conference title, men's basketball won a conference tourney title and moved on to a post season tournament, volleyball has won two conference titles...............

We were able to get into the conference that basically every NCC school that moved up wanted to be in.

Really, it seems like the only thing we're missing is a win over one of the 3 worst FBS programs in the nation. Who knows, maybe that'll happen before long too.

We were able to get into the conference that basically every NCC school that moved up wanted to be in.

No matter how completely true this statement is, the fans from the other three Dakota schools will never admit this. I say we take the amazing path that we have and grow towards the future. UND has such amazing potential both academically and athletically. It is time that we finally show it. Every administrator that has come into UND in the last decade has talked about how amazing our fan and alumni base is compared to every other school our size. It is time that we grow into the flagship university that we are.

I personally think this debate is rather pointless. We know that the ADs are talking about potential future games. So let's leave it to them to work out and be EXTREMELY happy about the amazing schedules that we have coming up in the Big Sky in the future in every sport. Let's get our friends, family and neighbors to come to games with us and see where the future takes us.

• Upvote 3

Did anyone goto the basketball game this past year in the Dome? Lots of fans in the stands, but the game lacked in meaning and emotion, big time.

Sorry, but an ooc football game will be strangely similar. Both the teams and fans will be much more invested vs. the top teams in-conf. That's just the way it is going forward, you will see. The rivalry that was, is no longer. That has been detroyed. It will not return to the way it was. It simply will not. As much as everyone longs for this game, it won't have champioship or playoff meaning, and will be largely disappointing to those with memories of past games.

It will make money, so schedule if you can, but start lowering your expectations. Ask Iowa if Iowa St is the biggest game of the year. It is a diversion for in-state fans. That is ndsu nd going forward.

For ndsu, games vs sdsu when we are battling for a playoff spot will have more meaning. You have been not so great lately in the GW, grasping for meaningful games like any transitional. You will understand in time.

Did anyone goto the basketball game this past year in the Dome? Lots of fans in the stands, but the game lacked in meaning and emotion, big time.

Sorry, but an ooc football game will be strangely similar. Both the teams and fans will be much more invested vs. the top teams in-conf. That's just the way it is going forward, you will see. The rivalry that was, is no longer. That has been detroyed. It will not return to the way it was. It simply will not. As much as everyone longs for this game, it won't have champioship or playoff meaning, and will be largely disappointing to those with memories of past games.

It will make money, so schedule if you can, but start lowering your expectations.

Not sure about that, Since the game will be played when both teams are playoff eligible I think it will have a lot of meaning and atmosphere. Also Bison-Sioux on the hardwood was never half as intense as Bison-Sioux on the gridiron, you just can't compare the two.

It will make money, so schedule if you can, but start lowering your expectations. Ask Iowa if Iowa St is the biggest game of the year. It is a diversion for in-state fans. That is ndsu nd going forward.

For ndsu, games vs sdsu when we are battling for a playoff spot will have more meaning. You have been not so great lately in the GW, grasping for meaningful games like any transitional. You will understand in time.

Excellent description of the reality of this point in time between the two schools...

Excellent description of the reality of this point in time between the two schools...

The Iowa-Iowa State contest has been very lopsided for two decades. Florida-Florida State is intense and Utah-BYU will be for years to come even though they are in separate conferences. If both teams are strong, this will remain a good series. Also, we could open the year with it or make it the second game of the year like Colorado-Colorado State often do, which would allow all summer to build up expectations.

Why would you give a crap...we don't play you anymore so why the need for comparisons? Anyone who still wants this crap is delusional...Our best game by the way was the one I flew my Dad and I out to see...Texas Tech...we lost by 20 pts, but prior to the game during discussions with the Texas Tech fans they were all confident they were going to have at least 60 pts and that we would be lucky to get a field goal. 3rd quarter had UND only down by 11 points and in possession of the ball...all of the TT students and fans were in utter shock and the stadium was totally quiet with only the Sioux fans cheering...Let's go Sioux! As my Dad and I walked out of the stadium with our green shirts in a see of Red, we were shocked to be approached by many TT fans stating they thought we had a very strong team and that we should do well with the rest of our season...So how do you like those apples???? As always, the Sioux have grown up without the sister college in Fargo and now its no longer painful to think we don't get to kick your a@# all the time...Again, let it go and concentrate on something important to your team like how to drive the ball into the end zone from the 6 inch line without fumbling!!! What a Troll!

BobIwabuchiFan

So you're happy with a 25 point loss. Good to know that you'll never be disappointed with your expectations set so low.

Not sure about that, Since the game will be played when both teams are playoff eligible I think it will have a lot of meaning and atmosphere. Also Bison-Sioux on the hardwood was never half as intense as Bison-Sioux on the gridiron, you just can't compare the two.

Absolutely agree with this statement - you are comparing the basketball game to the football rivalry - no comparison. Plus a basketball game in a dome can be stale - now put that game in the Betty or BSA and you have atmosphere.

The best way for this rivalry to resume is in the FCS playoffs. NDSU has reached it, the Sioux will, hopefully sooner rather than later (looking at the upcoming BSC schedule, it will definitely have to be earned). When this happens, it won't take Faison & Taylor finally agreeing and it will be very emotional.

You do realize a very large percentage of Fargo residents can not stand the Bison and yet you claim they have North Dakota by the balls. Are you the guy on Bisonville that thinks NDSU is going to be in the Big 10 in a couple of years?

No I do not think NDSU will be going FBS(especially big ten lol). Yes, some Fargoans do not like the Bison(a ton of them aren't even from North Dakota), some folks in Minneapolis don't like the Vikes, some of people in Grand Forks aren't going to like the Sioux. As far as football fans go, NDSU has more than UND, there is a reason NDSU averages in a bad year, 15,000 fans and UND's arena can't even hold that. We probably have as many people tailgating as UND gets for games(ok, not quite) That isn't to trash UND at all, just a fact.

While it is great for UND to get some of their football games on tv, I'm GUESSING that not many people are even glancing at those channels during football season, at least back home on our directv or dish(whatever we have) it is a 600's channel or something like that and when i see it I know I am close to finding the Twins game. I would enjoy if NDSU's road games were televised every time.

As far as who the game would help more, the answer to that would probably be UND. Y'all are having a rough time in your transition which can be a crapshoot, we had a great one, Northern Colorado(was a good school) had a terrible one, a win over NDSU right now would start helping UND land the local recruits that NDSU has taken the past 6 or 7 years now. It was on the News a couple of years ago(maybe 2010? not sure) that NDSU didn't lose a single recruiting contest to UND or SDSU. However, I wouldn't mind playing this year, I think a a beatdown would be long overdue ;)

Please do not hate on this at all, I voted that they should play sometimes, and if they could play every year with a 12th game that'd be pretty cool. And yes, UND did have a good last 10 years of the series, in Fargo we like to blame Babich for it.

• Downvote 2

No I do not think NDSU will be going FBS(especially big ten lol). Yes, some Fargoans do not like the Bison(a ton of them aren't even from North Dakota), some folks in Minneapolis don't like the Vikes, some of people in Grand Forks aren't going to like the Sioux. As far as football fans go, NDSU has more than UND, there is a reason NDSU averages in a bad year, 15,000 fans and UND's arena can't even hold that. We probably have as many people tailgating as UND gets for games(ok, not quite) That isn't to trash UND at all, just a fact.

While it is great for UND to get some of their football games on tv, I'm GUESSING that not many people are even glancing at those channels during football season, at least back home on our directv or dish(whatever we have) it is a 600's channel or something like that and when i see it I know I am close to finding the Twins game. I would enjoy if NDSU's road games were televised every time.

As far as who the game would help more, the answer to that would probably be UND. Y'all are having a rough time in your transition which can be a crapshoot, we had a great one, Northern Colorado(was a good school) had a terrible one, a win over NDSU right now would start helping UND land the local recruits that NDSU has taken the past 6 or 7 years now. It was on the News a couple of years ago(maybe 2010? not sure) that NDSU didn't lose a single recruiting contest to UND or SDSU. However, I wouldn't mind playing this year, I think a a beatdown would be long overdue ;)

Please do not hate on this at all, I voted that they should play sometimes, and if they could play every year with a 12th game that'd be pretty cool. And yes, UND did have a good last 10 years of the series, in Fargo we like to blame Babich for it.

ndsu never loses a recruit und.

Just to keep you up with the times - UND is moving to the Big Sky which is AQ conference and they will be playoff eligible in 2012. So, recruiting is going much better and no doubt UND lost out on the QB from Bismarck. But, they did pull in several recruits from the region that NDSU and SDSU had interest in.

Recruiting for 2011: http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/football/2011_recruiting_information

Won:

RB Jer Garman, 5'9”, 170, Marion (Linn Mar), IA Had offers from E. Illinois & USD

WR Jameer Jackson, 6'3, 210, Osseo (Osseo), MN Had offers from SDSU & NDSU

WR Casey Young, 6'2, 185, 4.48, Aurora (Regis Jesuit), CO Had offer from Weber State

OL Sean Meehan, 6'6, 290, Wilmot (Wilmot), WI Had offer from NDSU

RB P.J. Sparks, 5'9, 190, 4.5, Glendale (Mountain Ridge), AZ Had offer from SDSU

OT Ross Windfeldt, 6'6, 310, 5.8, St. Cloud (Tech), MN Had offer from NDSU

Lost:

MVFC

DB Alex Carr, 5'9, 170, 4.4, Cedar Rapids (Washington), IA UNI

RB/WR Isaac Lintz, 6'0, 175, 4.6, W. Des Moines (Valley), IA UNI

OL Derek Chancellor, 6'5, 289, McCook (McCook), NE USD

OT Nick Jacobs, 6'6, 275, Delano (Delano), MN USD

RB Reggie Gandy, 5'8, 180, Minneapolis (De La Salle), MN SDSU

LB Brandon Mohr, 6', 220, Sioux Falls (Washington), SD SDSU

QB Carson Wentz, 6'5, 205, Bismarck (Century), ND NDSU

DE Joe Horvath 6'3, 230, Stevens Point (Stevens Point), WI NDSU

Big Sky

CB Marcus Alford, 5'10, 165, 4.7, Oxnard (Rio Mesa), CA N. AZ

FS Matt Hermanson, 6', 181, Sioux Falls (Washington), SD Montana

S Antoine Pickett, 6', 175, 4.6, Concord (De La Salle), CA Sac St

Just to keep you up with the times - UND is moving to the Big Sky which is AQ conference and they will be playoff eligible in 2012. So, recruiting is going much better and no doubt UND lost out on the QB from Bismarck. But, they did pull in several recruits from the region that NDSU and SDSU had interest in.

Recruiting for 2011: http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/football/2011_recruiting_information

Won:

RB Jer Garman, 5'9

No matter how completely true this statement is, the fans from the other three Dakota schools will never admit this. I say we take the amazing path that we have and grow towards the future. UND has such amazing potential both academically and athletically. It is time that we finally show it. Every administrator that has come into UND in the last decade has talked about how amazing our fan and alumni base is compared to every other school our size. It is time that we grow into the flagship university that we are.

Totally agreed.

When UND started DI hockey, the league travel was ridiculous - especially in an era without interstates and when train travel was the main transportation.

WCHA in 1951was:

Denver

CC

Minnesota

Michigan Tech

Michigan State

Michigan

UND

They were all kinds of detractors that didn't believe UND could ever flourish in such a far flung league.

Other Dakota schools laughed, like UND could never accomplish anything without them.

But who is laughing now?

The hockey story shows that UND can make it's own path that is not dependent whatsoever on other Dakota schools, and even gain dual allegiance from regional fans from other schools. Same thing with the Big Sky.

I'd like to see this game get going, and yeah, NDSU really had an inside track on Wentz, sad thing is he probably won't get to play until he is a senior.

Do Bison fans want to see Thornton beat out Jenson? I would certainly like to see a ND kid succeed at QB.

Do Bison fans want to see Thornton beat out Jenson? I would certainly like to see a ND kid succeed at QB.

I don't think people really care, I personally want Jensen but I really can't be sure about everyone.

I have two theories about Jensen/Thornton.

1. If Thornton beats out Jensen that is great because we know for sure we will have an upgrade at our QB situation. Thornton is also a North Dakotan which is always fun to see our guys succeeding. He was a multi-sport star and would give us a more flashy leader of the offense. I also played against him in high school and even intercepted him when we were younger, so I'd be able to boast about that when I'm at the bars. Jensen also got dinged up a couple times last year and I'd rather not have to see our starter not finishing games.

2. If Jensen retains the starting job it is great because he is very responsible with the ball in his hands. He doesn't screw up too much mentally and could provide stability at the position for 3 more seasons. He also has a no-nonsense running attitude and plays with a ton of fire. He throws a nice deep ball and does a good job not taking big sacks. He is extremely mature in interviews and definitely is what you want in an NDSU quarterback! Even got a minor this school year, so clearly he fits the NDSU players mold.

So as you can see, those are the two options, as far as I'm concerned, some other Herd fans should be able to give you a better idea of the situation.

• Downvote 2