SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Bison fan here who wants it back. A couple points:

I wish they could do it annually but I understand that since they will not be in the same conference it makes it more difficult. Both teams have difficult conference schedules, and it is a race to 7 and usually 8 wins for the playoffs. So we are always looking at the payday games (UM, Kansas, Colorado State, etc) as well as the cupcake home game early in the year. In my opinion, the best case scenario would be a conference game. Obviously that isn't going to happen because everyone involved is or was too pigheaded to do this thing together (hindsight is 20/20). Because of the cupcake and payday factor, I think the next best option is every other year, and rotate venue.

Iowa State and Iowa can do it on a larger level, I wish we could see it happen here. And everyone hates each other I guess, but count me in the camp that even though you hate your rival, you can also make each other better.

• Upvote 1

Is it against NCAA rules for teams to schedule more than 12 games a season?

Its a FCS rule. FBS can have 12 every year but for FCS it depends how many Saturdays are in the playing year. I will see if I can find the rule. Also if you schedule Hawaii (which I wish the Sioux would do.) you are granted a 12th game.

Bison fan here who wants it back. A couple points:

I wish they could do it annually but I understand that since they will not be in the same conference it makes it more difficult. Both teams have difficult conference schedules, and it is a race to 7 and usually 8 wins for the playoffs. So we are always looking at the payday games (UM, Kansas, Colorado State, etc) as well as the cupcake home game early in the year. In my opinion, the best case scenario would be a conference game. Obviously that isn't going to happen because everyone involved is or was too pigheaded to do this thing together (hindsight is 20/20). Because of the cupcake and payday factor, I think the next best option is every other year, and rotate venue.

Iowa State and Iowa can do it on a larger level, I wish we could see it happen here. And everyone hates each other I guess, but count me in the camp that even though you hate your rival, you can also make each other better.

IMO every other year is better than no game at all.

Its a FCS rule. FBS can have 12 every year but for FCS it depends how many Saturdays are in the playing year. I will see if I can find the rule. Also if you schedule Hawaii (which I wish the Sioux would do.) you are granted a 12th game.

That's true if the game is played in Hawaii. If it's played on the mainland, it counts against the 12-game limit for FBS teams and 11/12-game limit for FCS teams. Same with basketball games in Alaska or Hawaii. The rule was implemented to encourage teams to travel to Alaska and Hawaii. Without the waiver, it's unlikely those teams would play many home games... this was particularly the case before Hawaii joined the WAC and the D-II Alaska and Hawaii schools their various conferences.

No way. The schools are in different conferences. It would be stupid for NDSU to tie up an OOC date every year to play UND.

Florida and Florida State have no problem with their OOC rivalry. I just don't get why playing UND every year is "stupid". You have 3 OOC games just like us. There is NO requirement that you have to have a FBS game, or 6 home games.

Florida and Florida State have no problem with their OOC rivalry. I just don't get why playing UND every year is "stupid". You have 3 OOC games just like us. There is NO requirement that you have to have a FBS game, or 6 home games.

For us there is, we like going and playing with the big boys. And we sell enough tickets that wasting an away game on a middle of the road team (currently, thats being generous describing UND), we also like having 6 home games. There is no reason NDSU shouldn't have 6 every year.

It isn't what the vast majority of Bison fans want. They want variety in the OOC schedule. An occasional game.......maybe. But every year is not an optio with many fans.

No point in ever playing them again.................

We set our attendance record with Texas A&M-Kingsville and Wisconsin-Lacrosse on the home schedule..................

The very last North Dakota-NDSU game didn't even sell out in the smaller of the two possible venues...........................

They crave the exposure that would come from playing us, and we get enough the way it is, so why help them out?

Let Gene Taylor come up with a new annual excuse as to why he's not allowed to let the game happen......................that's been hilarious every year for 7 years running! :D

• Upvote 2

No, there isn't a requirement to play an FBS game but it is hard to pass up the guaranteed money ($375,000) and I think it really helps with fan interest as well. Six home games aren't required either but the overwhelming majority of season ticket holders almost expect it every year and it isn't good business to piss of your customers. I heard quite a bit of grumbling a couple years back when they only had five home games on the schedule and I'm sure the athletic department did too. Florida and Florida State have the luxury of being able to schedule twelve games every season. Unfortunately NDSU and UND don't have that luxury. If one school prefers to schedule a variety of non-conference opponents and keep they're options open then they should have that right to do so. I think the rotating Dakota school schedule idea is great for UND. It allows UND to participate and be a member of a respected conference while still giving them the ability to schedule all the familiar faces that the fans want to see.

I think UND has moved on from playing the Bison...No one really cares and the kids in school now have no idea what the competition was about...Let them go their own way and we'll go our way...also, who needs a bunch of trolls yelling Sioux Suck and helping out the liberal wankers at the Herald or the Forum formulate another reason for not keeping the nickname...

It isn't what the vast majority of Bison fans want. They want variety in the OOC schedule. An occasional game.......maybe. But every year is not an optio with many fans.

That's because a majority of SU fans want to pretend they don't care about UND anymore and it easier to say they have moved on. If that was really true there wouldn't be so much Bison traffic on this site.

If you don't believe that check the comments on In-Forum whenever one of the sports guys spends any time on UND.

I say let them go and don't play them.

There are a lot of Bison fans on this site, they are also Sioux hockey fans. For either fan base to suggest that one program is superior to the other or has moved on is laughable. In five years once UND has become post-season eligible and has played the Big Sky, etc they wil be on equal footing. No one has "forgot" about anything. Some Bison fans can claim SDSU or UNI is their big football rival.....some UND fans will claim Montana State or Montana is their big rival in the future.....BS. Nothing gets the blood boiling on a beautiful fall day like UND/NDSU.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

There are a lot of Bison fans on this site, they are also Sioux hockey fans. For either fan base to suggest that one program is superior to the other or has moved on is laughable. In five years once UND has become post-season eligible and has played the Big Sky, etc they wil be on equal footing. No one has "forgot" about anything. Some Bison fans can claim SDSU or UNI is their big football rival.....some UND fans will claim Montana State or Montana is their big rival in the future.....BS. Nothing gets the blood boiling on a beautiful fall day like UND/NDSU.

What he said.

No point in ever playing them again.................

We set our attendance record with Texas A&M-Kingsville and Wisconsin-Lacrosse on the home schedule..................

The very last North Dakota-NDSU game didn't even sell out in the smaller of the two possible venues...........................

They crave the exposure that would come from playing us, and we get enough the way it is, so why help them out?

Let Gene Taylor come up with a new annual excuse as to why he's not allowed to let the game happen......................that's been hilarious every year for 7 years running! :D

Cause nothing says exposure like playing a team that lost to Sioux Falls. NDSU has North Dakota and NW Minnesota by the balls when it comes to football exposure, similar to UND's control over the same area in hockey. I'd like to see them play for time to time or if a 12 game schedule was adopted they could play every year. As for Gene, its not just him who isn't really allowing the game, UND is at fault too. At least Gene can say that UND left NDSU out to dry when we went division 1, UND can't really complain that NDSU doesn't feel the need to play anymore cause UND stopped it to begin with. It is kind of like being pissed off when you dump someone, and later when you want them back they don't really want to be with you anymore.

• Downvote 2

Cause nothing says exposure like playing a team that lost to Sioux Falls. NDSU has North Dakota and NW Minnesota by the balls when it comes to football exposure, similar to UND's control over the same area in hockey. I'd like to see them play for time to time or if a 12 game schedule was adopted they could play every year. As for Gene, its not just him who isn't really allowing the game, UND is at fault too. At least Gene can say that UND left NDSU out to dry when we went division 1, UND can't really complain that NDSU doesn't feel the need to play anymore cause UND stopped it to begin with. It is kind of like being pissed off when you dump someone, and later when you want them back they don't really want to be with you anymore.

:silly:

UND can't really complain that NDSU doesn't feel the need to play anymore cause UND stopped it to begin with. It is kind of like being pissed off when you dump someone, and later when you want them back they don't really want to be with you anymore.

If NDSU doesn't want to be associated with UND anymore why do so many Bison fans troll UND athletic boards?

Yeah Sioux fans are jealous because we don't get to be on KVLY. I just wish UND would end their nationally televised contract with Fox College Sports which is seen all across the country so we can be on in 3 or 4 states. Yep...we are so jealous of NDSU. :lol::lol:

• Upvote 1

Fact is, if the rivalry restarted the Fargodome would sell out in a heartbeat if the rivalry restarted and vice versa when the game would be played in Grand Forks. As for those who don't care, you don't have to but I bet if the two teams started playing again the majority of you will be there to watch it live. Well maybe except the guy from Wyoming. :D

Now this doesn't mean I'm for the two teams playing again because I honestly don't care either way. However, I'm not afraid to say that if the two teams started playing again I will be there.

If NDSU doesn't want to be associated with UND anymore why do so many Bison fans troll UND athletic boards?

That is like asking why there are dozens of threads dedicated to UND on their message boards. :lol: