SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

Completely agree with you about Rowney. I think he's a key piece to the puzzle. I like what he brings. Not flashy, but still an important piece.

Carter Rowney takes over the role that Brad Malone took over from Chris VandeVelde: Big, strong, power centerman.

Rocco Grimaldi takes over the role that Evan Trupp took over from Ryan Duncan: Smallish, wiley, winger that opponents have trouble finding a solution for.

Joe Gleason takes over the role that Chay Genoway took over from Robbie Bina: Smallish, puck-moving, defenseman.

Those most of you can see.

Here's one you may not: The Matt Frattin physically devestating, intimidating shot, role will be taken up by ... Derek Rodwell.

Hextall - Knight - Gregoire

Kristo - Grimaldi - Miller

Rodwell - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Cichy

Rowney

Bruneteau

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

I count 17. I still say there won't be 17 when the official roster comes out this fall.

And if you don't think Carter Rowney will be a line-up regular you need to rethink who'll be playing center. Actually, I don't think Grimaldi (or any freshman) will play center before January. I expect the centers for the IceBreaker will be Knight, Rowney, Nelson, and Lamoureux. Come January Grimaldi will be at center and Lamoureux will be on a wing (where he had some good late-season success this year).

Sad Update... and down to 20 NHL Draft Picks... Gregs staying would be huge. Honestly I just don't get the Hextall signing, but I thought the same about Zajac and was way wrong there.

Kristo - Knight - Gregoire

Rodwell - Grimaldi - Miller

Rowney - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Cichy

Bruneteau

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

Blood - Forbert

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

Fill in:

Hill

Panzarella

Goaltending

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

Well, Hextall has decided to move on to PHX. And now the hot rumor (for what they're worth) is that Cichy and Bruneteau are leaving.

If all that came to pass, the roster would be down to 14 forward. That's too few.

So would the team bring in a 17 year old recruit a year earlier than planned (Matteau, Koules are planned for fall 2012), or do they have another pleasant surprise (ala Taylor Dickin) waiting in the wings?

I believe yesterday was the beginning of the 2011-2012 season according to Hak per his last press conference with the start of off-seaon workouts. Sounds like Brock skated today and feels good which is huge since he needs to put in a full summer of lifting to put on some much needed strength and some beef. Hopefully Gregoire is there with them as well.

Coach Hakstol talks with NYI Point Blank about Gregoire and Nelson

Listen to the interview here

Good interview, nothing new on Gregoire but good discussion.

The first comment is priceless:

Onesinceforty on Apr 27th, 2011 10:06:53 said:

Thank you Chris. I always enjoy these. I have been waiting

for at least one of the coaches to mention earning a degree as perhaps something to consider when deciding whether to turn pro. there seems to be less emphasis on that aspect than other considerations. It seems like this program and Notre Dame seem like great places for our prospects to develop. Just have them stay away from Minnesota. Actually, why don’t you get Lucia on the phone next.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Rocco Grimaldi takes over the role that Evan Trupp took over from Ryan Duncan: Smallish, wiley, winger that opponents have trouble finding a solution for.

No offense to either Trupp or Duncan...but Grimaldi is at a whole other level than them in regards to offensive ability and speed.

He is going to be very fun to watch next season.

No offense to either Trupp or Duncan...but Grimaldi is at a whole other level than them in regards to offensive ability and speed.

Speaking of Duncan, any idea if an NHL team signs him next season? If so, then who?

I agree with that point however Trupp was a creative mastermind that will be missed.

Latest Update... and down to 19 NHL Draft Picks... Gregs staying would be huge. Bruneteau to Vermont. Cichy to somewhere...

Rowney - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

Blood - Forbert

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

Fill in:

Hill

Panzarella

Goaltending

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

14 forwards, 8 d-men, and 3 Goalies is about perfect... Maybe another forward? How much faith do teh Sioux have in Panzarella, because Gleason can play forward?

At risk of repeating myself:

Well, Hextall has decided to move on to PHX. And now the hot rumor (for what they're worth) is that Cichy and Bruneteau are leaving.

If all that came to pass, the roster would be down to 14 forward. That's too few.

So would the team bring in a 17 year old recruit a year earlier than planned (Matteau, Koules are planned for fall 2012), or do they have another pleasant surprise (ala Taylor Dickin) waiting in the wings?

The rumors were true (not surprisingly).

And there are just 14 forwards on the roster today (assuming six incoming freshman forwards).

So ... the previous question stands, and even more importantly now.

I don't think Grimaldi will replace Trupp's ability to forecheck and PK for a while. The team will sorely miss Trupp's all around play.

I don't think Grimaldi will replace Trupp's ability to forecheck and PK for a while. The team will sorely miss Trupp's all around play.

I don't care how much talent Grimaldi has but it will take him a full season to fill Trupps skates. Sorry but not to often an 18 year old comes in and simply takes over where a 4 year player like Trupp left off. It will take time but it will be fun to watch him develop.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like Grimaldi would replace all of Trupp's roles from this year's team. Trupp's tenacity and defensive play (especially on the PK) will be hard to replace for any player, especially a freshman...regardless of how highly touted they are.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Grimaldi comes close to 35-40 pts his freshman season...which is where Trupp was as a senior.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Grimaldi comes close to 35-40 pts his freshman season...which is where Trupp was as a senior.

What was Trupp's plus/minus when he put up his number?

What will Grimaldi's be if he puts up that many points?

There's the senior/freshman difference.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like Grimaldi would replace all of Trupp's roles from this year's team. Trupp's tenacity and defensive play (especially on the PK) will be hard to replace for any player, especially a freshman...regardless of how highly touted they are.

I'm pumped to see Grimaldi play. One memory of Trupp stands out--when he was a freshman (against Manitoba, I think) when he raced back on the back check, went airborne, and lifted the stick of a guy on a near breakaway preventing him from getting a shot off. That told you something about the guy, right there.

Hope 1) Gregoire stays, and 2) October comes in a couple of weeks.

At risk of repeating myself:

The rumors were true (not surprisingly).

And there are just 14 forwards on the roster today (assuming six incoming freshman forwards).

So ... the previous question stands, and even more importantly now.

I agree with you here that we need to bring in another forward (assuming/hoping Gregoire stays) and I don't think it will be Matteau or Koules early. I'm thinking it will be someone ala Davidson or Dickey. It sure would be nice to have Cichy around for depth but obviously he didn't want that role. Here is how I see things now:

Gregoire-Knight-Kristo

Miller-Nelson-Grimaldi

O'Donnel-Rowney-Macmillian

St. Clair-Lammy-Rodwell

Parks or Dickey could be slot in on the third or fourth lines as well.

Latest Update... and down to 19 NHL Draft Picks... Gregs staying would be huge. Bruneteau to Vermont. Cichy to somewhere...

Rowney - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

There's been a lot of talk about Grimaldi the last couple days as far as what he can/will do next year but I'm not really too worried about him and Miller, they have the talent to make it work even while they're settling in. What does worry me is those 3 X's in the starting lineup, which will become 4 X's if Gregs leaves, I feel fairly comfortable with Dickin but the other 4 on the list are question marks on this level and might be leaned on heavily next year depending on Gregoire's status and injuries, imagine a lineup with those 5 plus freshmen Grimaldi and Miller and without Gregoire and someone like Kristo/Nelson/Knight... could be some growing pains there.

Now that is verrry interesting. Tough for Princeton to lose a guy like that, if he decides to go elsewhere.

I'm thinking we may have some scholarship money opened up now with Bruno and Cichy transferring. We certainly need to bring in another forward to hit the magic number of 15.