SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

speaking of kristo and this maybe is the wrong thread-but these rumors (and I have heard them) about him not attending class anymore if they are true, how can he be playing for the sioux down the stretch. don't you need to be attending class to be eligible? I heard the same rumors about David Toews last year and that is the reason he didn't see much PT down the stretch and is no longer with the program. I'm assuming the coach's get reports about how the team is doing in class and if someone isn't up to par they would step in or am I wrong or just naive to think this?

speaking of kristo and this maybe is the wrong thread-but these rumors (and I have heard them) about him not attending class anymore if they are true, how can he be playing for the sioux down the stretch. don't you need to be attending class to be eligible? I heard the same rumors about David Toews last year and that is the reason he didn't see much PT down the stretch and is no longer with the program. I'm assuming the coach's get reports about how the team is doing in class and if someone isn't up to par they would step in or am I wrong or just naive to think this?

I don't know for sure, but I believe Student athletes have academic progress reports that have to be filled out by instructors. I don't see how an athlete such as Kristo could get away with not going to class and turning in a progress report that is sufficient. I'd almost bet my life he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't attending class.

Interesting that no one has looked at the question of early departures in the goaltending ranks from the other perspective. There is a strong possibility that Dell could turn pro after the season he just had. Lots of folks were looking at him in St. Paul.

Interesting that no one has looked at the question of early departures in the goaltending ranks from the other perspective. There is a strong possibility that Dell could turn pro after the season he just had. Lots of folks were looking at him in St. Paul.

Well if we lose Dell we are screwed!

I don't know for sure, but I believe Student athletes have academic progress reports that have to be filled out by instructors. I don't see how an athlete such as Kristo could get away with not going to class and turning in a progress report that is sufficient. I'd almost bet my life he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't attending class.

I would guess there are academic progress reports for student athletes. I have played college football at two smaller schools and we had to do academic progress reports once a month so I would guess athletes would have to do them at UND.

When Kristo was still in the Minneapolis area rehabing his injury, they made it know that he was keeping up with his classes online. It's not out of the possibility that he fell behind in class and instead of going to class and being behind 2 weeks he is just finishing the semester online. I've been to school and this is what happened when I missed 2 weeks due to a death in my family, instead of rushing to get caught up my teachers decided to keep me on my own schedule.

I live in Phoenix. Don Maloney the General Manager of the Phoenix Coyotes was interviewed on a local sports talk show. He said they were going to try and sign Brett Hextall to a contract in the very near future. They like his "grit". The Coyotes just signed Miele to a free agent contract.

• Downvote 1

I live in Phoenix. Don Maloney the General Manager of the Phoenix Coyotes was interviewed on a local sports talk show. He said they were going to try and sign Brett Hextall to a contract in the very near future. They like his "grit". The Coyotes just signed Miele to a free agent contract.

What station? Link us a podcast.

He definitely fits their style, whether he'll get signed now or next year is yet to be seen. With the injury issues he's had the last several years, I'd wait and see before signing him.

I know the doom and gloom crowd is out in force in the "Early Departures" thread, but I'm going to go by the numbers (see post 1 of this thread).

If the projected 8 (six forwards and two D) are brought in the roster would have 3 goalies, 8 defensemen, and 17 forwards.

Normally the roster going into a season is 3, 8, and 15.

That tells me to expect 2 early departures from the ranks of the forwards. That's workable.

Hextall - Knight - Gregoire

Kristo - Grimaldi - Miller

Rodwell - Nelson - X

Lamoureux - X - X

Fill in:

Cichy

Rowney

Bruneteau

Dicken

MacMillan

St. Clair

Parks

O' Donnell

Blood - Forbert

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

Fill in:

Hill

Panzarella

Goaltending

Dell

Eidsness

Maris

The best defense and goaltending in the nation. Great coaching. Everyone coming back stronger after a brutal Fighting Sioux summer regiment, And the future pipeline remains loaded. Good to be a Sioux fan. :)

This gives us a chance for a championship...

So if I count correctly we may have 21 NHL draft picks on the 2011-2012 team. We will not suffer from a lack of talent. Thrown in Dell and Mario who are undrafted...

2007 NHL Entry Draft (4)

Jason Gregoire (F) - 3rd Round (#76) New York Islanders

Brett Bruneteau (F) - 4th Round (#108) Washington Capitals

Ben Blood (D) - 4th Round (#120) Ottawa Senators

Brad Eidsness (G) - 5th Round (#139) Buffalo Sabers

2008 NHL Entry Draft (4)

Danny Kristo (F)- 2nd Round (#56) Montreal Canadiens

Brett Hextall (F) - 6th Round (#159) Phoenix Coyotes

Andrew MacWilliam (D) - 7th Round (#188) Toronto Maple Leafs

Joe Gleason (D) - 7th Round (#192) Chicago Blackhawks

2009 NHL Entry Draft (3)

Corban Knight (F) - 5th Round (#135)Florida Panthers

Derek Rodwell (F) - 5th Round (#144) New Jersey Devils

Mike Cichy (F) - 7th Round (#199) Montreal Canadiens

2010 NHL Entry Draft (6)

Derek Forbort (D) - 1st Round (#15) Los Angeles Kings

Brock Nelson (F) - 1st Round (#30) N.Y. Islanders

Mark MacMillan (F) - 4th Round (#113) Montreal Canadiens

Mike Parks (F) - 5th Round (#149) Philadelphia Flyers

Brendan O'Donnell (F) - 6th Round (#156) Tampa Bay Lightning

Nick Mattson (D) - 6th Round (#180) Chicago Blackhawks

2011 NHL Entry Draft (4)

Rocco Grimaldi

J.T. Miller

Dillon Simpson

Colten St. Clair

So if I count correctly we may have 21 NHL draft picks on the 2011-2012 team. We will not suffer from a lack of talent. Thrown in Dell and Mario who are undrafted...

2007 NHL Entry Draft (4)

Jason Gregoire (F) - 3rd Round (#76) New York Islanders

Brett Bruneteau (F) - 4th Round (#108) Washington Capitals

Ben Blood (D) - 4th Round (#120) Ottawa Senators

Brad Eidsness (G) - 5th Round (#139) Buffalo Sabers

2008 NHL Entry Draft (4)

Danny Kristo (F)- 2nd Round (#56) Montreal Canadiens

Brett Hextall (F) - 6th Round (#159) Phoenix Coyotes

Andrew MacWilliam (D) - 7th Round (#188) Toronto Maple Leafs

Joe Gleason (D) - 7th Round (#192) Chicago Blackhawks

2009 NHL Entry Draft (3)

Corban Knight (F) - 5th Round (#135)Florida Panthers

Derek Rodwell (F) - 5th Round (#144) New Jersey Devils

Mike Cichy (F) - 7th Round (#199) Montreal Canadiens

2010 NHL Entry Draft (6)

Derek Forbort (D) - 1st Round (#15) Los Angeles Kings

Brock Nelson (F) - 1st Round (#30) N.Y. Islanders

Mark MacMillan (F) - 4th Round (#113) Montreal Canadiens

Mike Parks (F) - 5th Round (#149) Philadelphia Flyers

Brendan O'Donnell (F) - 6th Round (#156) Tampa Bay Lightning

Nick Mattson (D) - 6th Round (#180) Chicago Blackhawks

2011 NHL Entry Draft (4)

Rocco Grimaldi

J.T. Miller

Dillon Simpson

Colten St. Clair

Looks like we'll be just fine. I think we'll finish in the top 3-4 depending on Gregoire and Hextalls decisions.

Looks like we'll be just fine. I think we'll finish in the top 3-4 depending on Gregoire and Hextalls decisions.

I initially was very surprised at Hextall's offensive upside, but I frankly don't think his early departure will cause the Sioux to drop a spot in the standings. Experience is very important, and he has that. But he also tends to make decisions you would expect from a very inexperienced/immature player.

Losing Gregoire would be different story.

I think the Sioux easily finish in the top 5 of the league next year. Obviously Denver should be the favorite with all the young good kids they have, and the great goaltending.

Here is how I think the WCHA finishes up next season.

1. Denver-If Zucker is back

2. CC-A lot depends on Jaden Schwartz coming back. Lead the team in points after only playing 30 games.

3. North Dakota-Gregoire....Hextall......could be up or down from here.

4. Omaha-A lot like UND, lose their top three, lot of guys coming back, also Faulkner.

5. Wisconsin-Do not return a goaltender with college hockey experience.....yikes.

6. Minnesota-Patterson....and......Rau maybe? Will be a young squad that looks for an identity all year. I hope they are at the final five though.

7. Duluth-Some good recruits, but they lose alot, and could have to put a new system in place with a new coaching staff.

8. SCSU-Could be ahead of this point....a tough team to read.

9. Anchorage-Lost Tommy Grant, but have some decent goaltending coming back. Showed some real grit at the end of the year. But don't return tons of points.

10. Bemidji-Losing Matt Read hurts, but they have some great goaltending coming back with Bakala.

11. Mankato-Youds gone.....Phil Cook will see fifty pucks a game....

12. Tech-If Cary Eades is their coach they won't finish twelfth in the league. There...I said it.

Bruneteau's rights are no longer considered property of the Capitols.

I can't find any indication as to why they dropped the rights, but I do know that Bruneteau is now a free agent as far as that is concerned.

As for our forward situation...

Wow.

I can't see Rowney sitting a lot. He has a lot of grit. I think he'll be a regular on the 3rd line.

I'm going to go with the optimist approach and say that Cichy will start the year as a starter on the 4th line.

Bruneteau's rights are no longer considered property of the Capitols.

I can't find any indication as to why they dropped the rights, but I do know that Bruneteau is now a free agent as far as that is concerned.

As for our forward situation...

Wow.

I can't see Rowney sitting a lot. He has a lot of grit. I think he'll be a regular on the 3rd line.

I'm going to go with the optimist approach and say that Cichy will start the year as a starter on the 4th line.

I knew this... but he'd still be considered a "draft pick" because he was, in fact, drafted.

Completely agree with you about Rowney. I think he's a key piece to the puzzle. I like what he brings. Not flashy, but still an important piece.