SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

But doesn't he have more leverage in negotiating his contract with a year of eligibility left as opposed to having none?

Unless he is offered the rookie max............then there is no more money to be made, regardless of who he signs with.

Need an NHL draft guru here: If Gregoire stays four full years and isn't signed by August 1, 2012 doesn't he become a free agent?

If so, that'd be one way out of the dreadful NYI system.

If I recall correctly, I remember Schlossman saying something similar. I believe someone made a comment that if Gregoire stayed for his senior year that he'd become a FA, but Schlossman indicated that he would have to go unsigned until a certain date. I believe that date was August 1.

If i was him I would wait it out and see what my options will be

Rookie max is not very high. He can't do significantly better than what he'd get now, in the future. Unless he doesn't think he can make the big club next year.

The Sioux have done very well competing with the NHL/AHL for talent, so who knows what he'll do.

Isn't it more about getting to that second contract sooner as opposed to what he gets now? It seems like that is what you often hear about when guys sign early. It isn't just about the money they get now but also being able to get to that second contract earlier.

I think we SIOUX fans need good ol' Zach Parise to give all those thinkin' about bolting early his thoughts on stayin' in school and playin' one more year, as he regrets leavin' early. Tough decision, the money is tough to turn down and risk of injury is always a possibility for all players. What ever happened to the idea of earning a college degree? For all you SIOUX statistic guru's out there... What percentage of SIOUX hockey players that leave early, earn a college degree, be it at UND or from another academic institution? I would love to know this stat. Here is one scenario... What if a player bolts early, signs a pro contract, and suffers a career ending injury? What does the player have to fall back on? Keep in mind, it is not by any means easy to simply enroll in college and earn a degree when being out of college for any period of time. These are real life decisions outside the great game of hockey that need to seriously be thought about. Is signing a pro contract more important than earning a college degree first? Food for thought... Money isn't everything, and planning ahead for life after hockey should be in the forefront of the minds faced with these decisions.

Seeing as though he didnt get as much playing time as he liked, means he probably didnt devolop as much as he wanted and this is his draft year if im not mistaken. Im willing to be his draft stock went down. Once he gets drafted, we will see but i could see him leaveing cuz of lack of playing time this year even though hes pretty much guarenteed a ton next year.

Thats my thoughts on Simpson too. I know he will get alot of playing time next year but they brought him in a year early for a reason. Alot of people thought he was a lock for being a top6 on the point this year. I guess we will see where he gets drafted and go from there. I wouldn't be suprised if he was playing major junior next year. I do look for him to make big strides from this year to next similar to Ben Blood's fresh-soph year.

Seeing as though he didnt get as much playing time as he liked, means he probably didnt devolop as much as he wanted and this is his draft year if im not mistaken. Im willing to be his draft stock went down. Once he gets drafted, we will see but i could see him leaveing cuz of lack of playing time this year even though hes pretty much guarenteed a ton next year.

What, Simpson is going to leave the program now because he's pissed about his playing time? I'll bet it was made pretty clear to him coming in he would have to earn his spot on the ice. I'll bet his Dad is familiar with having to earn ice time in the big show too. And now, when there is plenty of opportunity to play next year he's going to walk?

IF that's really the case, good luck to him. We don't need that attitude.

However, my guess is that isn't the case. My guess is he's a big part of next year's team. And a welcome one at that.

As for Kristo not going to class, I heard that too. From about the end of January to some time in March. ;) I don't know about anyone else but I read his interview in the Herald, and if I recall correctly I think he said he even missed going to class.

I don't know what Kristo's plans for next year are, but I bet he hasn't just quit going to class and made the decision to leave already.

So does the team touch any potential trophies next season? Looks like it wasn't the touch of the trophy after all.

I think they should. Might as well enjoy it while you can. You can be serious about greater goals and still enjoy the smaller ones.

Do you guys see Forbort as a potential flight risk? At first glance you may say no, but we thought the same thing about Nick Leddy.

I see Kristo staying, much to my dismay.

Much to your dismay? Are you a Sioux fan? Why is it much to your dismay? Sheesh....I don't get some of these people fkin A

I started one last year, so might as well start another one for next season. It will be a long offseason.

It is tough watching this year's group of seniors go out without winning the big one. They certainly were on fire at the end of the season, and they just got stoned by a stellar performance from Hunwick.

Moving on to 2011-2012.

The roster is looking like this so far:

Forwards (11):

Jason Gregoire (SR) *

Brett Hextall (SR)

Mario Lamoureux (SR)

Danny Kristo (JR) *

Corban Knight (JR)

Mike Cichy (JR)

Carter Rowney (JR)

Brett Bruneteau (JR)

Brock Nelson (SO)

Derek Rodwell (SO)

Taylor Dickin (SO)

Defense (6):

Ben Blood (SR) *

Andrew MacWilliam (JR)

Joe Gleason (JR)

Ryan Hill (JR)

Derek Forbort (SO)

Dillon Simpson (SO)

Goalies (3):

Brad Eidsness (SR) *

Aaron Dell (JR)

Tate Maris (JR)

Possible Incoming Freshmen (8):

Andrew Panzarella (D)

JT Miller (F)

Rocco Grimaldi (F)

Mark MacMillan (F)

Colten St. Clair (F)

Brendan O'Donnell (F)

Michael Parks (F)

Nick Mattson (D)

*Potential Early Departure (4): Gregoire, Kristo, Blood, Eidsness

Maybe a surprise like Cichy leaving for MJ or something like that.

If no early departures happen, that would leave us with 17 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies.

We'll be a younger team, but still very talented. Not as talented as this year...but sometimes those teams still go on to greatness. We'll easily have the best freshmen forward group in the nation with Grimaldi, Miller, MacMillan, St. Clair, O'Donnell, and Parks coming in. I would anticipate Grimaldi having a Zucker or Schwartz type of season for us.

Defense will be solid with Mac, Forbort, and maybe Blood being the anchors. Gleason will be the puck-mover. Mattson should get plenty of playing time as well. If Dell has another season like this year (tough to follow up this year), we could have another special team.

Go Sioux!

You forgot about Dillon Simpson....I think he will be very good next year. He looked poised this year as a 17/18 year old freshman.

I have heard this as well. I am related to some huge Montreal Canadian followers in Winnepeg, that know more about the Habs than I can ever imagine (I don't know how they find out some of the NHL moves before they happen), but I got the word from them that it is only a matter of time before Kristo signs with them.

Please be wrong....please be wrong.....please be wrong..... :blush:

Well if that is the case good riddance Danny...it was a great run *sarcasm*. From all the articles I have read it was "always" his dream to play for the Sioux and to bail out after this year would be pretty weak in my opinion.

Forbort and Simpson will be getting all the ice they want next year. They'll both be top four D.

Kristo?

Montreal wants to spend money on a guy who doesn't have the maturity and decision skills to dress for a -30F wind chill stroll?

Montreal would be better spending money on an autographed copy of "I Woke Up and Took Command of My Life" by Matt Frattin and giving it to Kristo.

Someone should send a copy to TJ Oshie in St. Louis also (as he was recently suspended by the Blues).

AGREED 100% couldn't be said better

Thats my thoughts on Simpson too. I know he will get alot of playing time next year but they brought him in a year early for a reason. Alot of people thought he was a lock for being a top6 on the point this year. I guess we will see where he gets drafted and go from there. I wouldn't be suprised if he was playing major junior next year. I do look for him to make big strides from this year to next similar to Ben Blood's fresh-soph year.

My question is who the he*l do you sit this year so Simpson can play? Are you going to sit seniors for an 18 year old freshman in the frozen four..? I dont think so!

Simpson isn't going anywhere. He's barely 18 and is finally draft eligible. He'll play a major role for us on the blueline next year with all the defense departures.

I don't see Simpson going anywhere, the coaching staff got him major minutes for a kid that was only 17 this season. Most kids like him would still be playing in Jr's.

Watching JG after the game on Thursday, my money is on him signing a deal. I don't think he is NHL ready at the moment and will need to labor a little in Bridgeport before getting the call. It is up to him. It probably depends on how much they offer him.

Isn't Cichy too old for MJ now? I'd have to think that he is over 20...he is a guy that might have a much bigger role next year. I'm talking possibly top 6 depending on what happens.

I'm excited to see Grimaldi. It sounds like he is one of the most offensively skilled guys we've had coming since Parise.

We'll be young, but talented upfront. If Blood comes back, I really like our defense, starting with Dell and working our way out.

DAR, read it closer, I think he is a gopher fan.

And much to the Gopher's dismay, Kristo will be back to score 30 goals...I hope.

#7 scoring 30g and 25a would sure be sweet.

Also would like to see the "Lawyer line" of Nelson, Dickin, and Rodwell.

Next year's team is not going to be the dynamic powerhouse that this one was, but the cupboard's not exactly bare either.

Even in the worst case scenario losing both Gregoire and Kristo and gaining Grimaldi, we're still going to have a lot of experience coming back and will be able to score some goals, not like this years team but enough to win games. Defensively we should be fine, with Mattson coming in we'll have 3 good lines to throw at teams, and that is going to be important because the defense is going to be leaned on a little harder next year because of the losses on offense. Goaltending...no worries there.

As far as early exits, last year I said after the season that there was no way Gregoire was ready to leave. This year I say he probably is. Question is will he? I think if he comes back he has a chance to put up a Frattin-type year and really improve his stock, but his mindset may be more of "this was the big year and now it's over", or $$$$ might be inside his head, he could really go either way. 50-50 or less on Gregs coming back.

Blood, I think needs to come back. He's such a physical presence that I think what gets overlooked is he is still developing his defensive skills and still needs to do some work on his game. He has come a long ways from early in the 2009-2010 season when he was constantly turning over the puck in the Sioux zone, many times right in front of the crease, and taking penalty after penalty for no reason and driving us crazy. This year those things have whittled down considerably but still show up at times, like the first period against Michigan, and I think another year would probably do him a lot of good to get him ready for the next level. But like I said, he is a big brute and that might factor in harder than his puck skills so I would give Blood about a 65-35 chance of coming back.

Eidsness, would be nice if he came back, hard to say what his frame of mind is after riding the pine and watching the guy who took his job become the best goalie in college hockey. No clue on this one.

Which leaves Danny Kristo. Here's my opinion on Kristo, which may not be popular with some but hear me out before you judge it: I've been disappointed. I really felt after the world juniors that he was ready to become an offensive force for this team and it just hasn't happened. He goes games at a time being almost invisible, then shows up and has a couple good games, then has a game where he shoots 6 slapshots from the blue line into defenders chests, then the cycle starts again. Maybe I misjudged him and expected too much, but from what I've seen on here many were expecting to see what I was, and haven't. And then the whole frostbitten foot thing happened and it was unclear if or when he was going to suit up for the Sioux again. That had to be rock bottom for him, and a funny thing happened...he came back and started playing well. He played better these last 6 games or so than he has the rest of this year combined, and that has me excited again. So what's the verdict? He needs to come back. I think there are a lot of question marks surrounding him right now, both about on-ice and off-ice issues, and much like Frattin (character) and Genoway (health) did, he needs what I call a "Redemption Tour" to improve his stock to hockey people. He needs to come back, help lead this team, become the offensive player we were expecting, keep his nose clean, and put himself back into the positive limelight. I think it's imperative for him both as a hockey player and a person. I think he comes back almost 100% chance.