SiouxSports.com Forum

House Bill Passes Senate 28-15

Predator

Pretty sure the NCAA will just put UND on the hostile abusive list, use the sanctions already talked about and say you knew this was going to happen to you if you broke the settlement agreement.

I think if they went beyond that they could give UND an avenue in which to sue, right now I don't think another lawsuit will go anywhere if the NCAA just does what they said they were going to do.

This is exactly what will happen. UND will go back on the sanctions list and every athletic team on campus will pay the price so the hockey team can call itself the Fighting Sioux. I wouldn't really put it past ND's idiot legislature to try and pursue another court case against the NCAA and get hit with punitive damages for re-litigating a settled issue. Think about that nickname supporters, we'll get to keep the nickname, the NCAA can keep us on their sanctions list, and at the end of the day we'll get to write them a big fat check.

I use to try and defend the school when Bison fans said that UND was a hockey only school, but it turns out they were dead right. 90% of this board could really give a !@#$ about anything else at the university other than the hockey team and the nickname and they're proud of it.

As a former athlete, I'm going to say it's a real shame that athletes who show up every day, bust their ass on the practice fields and in the classroom will now get to pay the price so that fat, asshole fans can call themselves the Fighting Sioux while patting themselves on the back for "sticking it to the man".

I'll still support the football team and the rest of the university, but it will be cold day in hell if a single dollar of mine ever goes to supports this asinine nickname fight or your beloved hockey team. As for this board, I'm done with it. It's obviously for Sioux nickname fans and I'm a fan of the entire university so this isn't the place for me. I may stop by and read from time to time if I feel like pounding my head against the wall, but for the most part I'll probably just ignore it.

Enjoy your victory while it lasts, it's only a matter of time before the NCAA goes after UND's golden goose. I, sincerely, hope they do so the rest of you actually have some skin in this game.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Like I've always said, "The nickname and logo will be here long after Faison and Kelley are gone."

Those two have to be looking at a different direction, or the majority will make sure they are ousted.

Today, North Dakota said the hell with Political Correct Zealots, and yes, the vocal minority of the minority

does not rule. Spirit Lake's vote does matter, vindication for Eunice Davidson, John Chaske and Standing

Rock's Archie Fool Bear. Today, Majority Rules!

This is exactly what will happen. UND will go back on the sanctions list and every athletic team on campus will pay the price so the hockey team can call itself the Fighting Sioux. I wouldn't really put it past ND's idiot legislature to try and pursue another court case against the NCAA and get hit with punitive damages for re-litigating a settled issue. Think about that nickname supporters, we'll get to keep the nickname, the NCAA can keep us on their sanctions list, and at the end of the day we'll get to write them a big fat check.

I use to try and defend the school when Bison fans said that UND was a hockey only school, but it turns out they were dead right. 90% of this board could really give a !@#$ about anything else at the university other than the hockey team and the nickname and they're proud of it.

As a former athlete, I'm going to say it's a real shame that athletes who show up every day, bust their ass on the practice fields and in the classroom will now get to pay the price so that fat, asshole fans can call themselves the Fighting Sioux while patting themselves on the back for "sticking it to the man".

I'll still support the football team and the rest of the university, but it will be cold day in hell if a single dollar of mine ever goes to supports this asinine nickname fight or your beloved hockey team. As for this board, I'm done with it. It's obviously for Sioux nickname fans and I'm a fan of the entire university so this isn't the place for me. I may stop by and read from time to time if I feel like pounding my head against the wall, but for the most part I'll probably just ignore it.

Enjoy your victory while it lasts, it's only a matter of time before the NCAA goes after UND's golden goose. I, sincerely, hope they do so the rest of you actually have some skin in this game.

Getting back to why this was brought about in the first place....Hostile and Abusive towards the Native Americans... I am soooo tired of how this got derailed into a whats best for the non hockey sports and athletes that the university. Why are you not happy that the supporters at Spirit Lake (67% voted FOR retaining the name) are now supported by North Dakota backing them up. Lets not be Hostile and Abusive and tell them they aren't smart enough to know whats best for them. This is what the fight is all about!

First, Spirit Lake votes FOR retaining the name...Oh !@#$, gotta change the strategy, find a new angle.

Second, We should only consider the NA students directly involved..to hell with the vote at Spirit Lake.

Third,

Fourth,

Tenth or so, It will hurt playoff hosting chances and UM, UW and others won't play us.

This isn't about money folks. If the Spirit Lake voters had voted against keeping the name even hockey fans would have supported a name change.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't let the door hit you in your crybaby a$$ on the way out.

• Downvote 5

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/196469/

Doesn't sound like the NC$$ will be kicking out UND from the NC$$. They were smart enough not to provide a source for further litigation. The doom and gloomers in opposition to the Bill overstated things a bit. UND will not be able to host post-season events in FB for a couple of years anyway. BB, Basketball, Hockey and, to my understanding, most other sports have post-season events at regional sites anyway. So we just get to wear the "North Dakota" jerseys (most of the sports teams have these anyway) and we get to press a vote on SR. Hopefully, Archie Fool Bear will be elected to the Council in the near future.

Is that you Mac Schneider?

KXnet's Backes quote:

(SBoHE President Backes) "NCAA unhappy and could anticipate them saying go find another organization to be long to.. That would be the death sentence of UND athletics." Several UND students say they want the debate to end... They tell senators the name and logo should be retired....

With Backes spreading this type of fear, seems he really needs to go. The NCAA already has a policy for a school that doesn't follow a nickname policy.

If the NCAA ever went after UND for more than post-season ban on home playoff games, North Dakota could sue the pants off the NCAA.

The school that really should be getting a death penalty is Ohio State, after this weeks revelations that Coach Tressel not only did not report two of his players were involved with a federal drug trafficking case, but Tressel even hid the information from the Ohio State compliance officer.

Lawyer who warned Tressel about players drug involvement now subject to death threats from Buckeye fans

COLUMBUS, Ohio

Not sure why you choose to post this way. Your passion is noted and your heart is in the right place, but your emotion always seems to get the best of you on here. Reminds me of someone else years back. ???

I'm not perfect either by any means, but I always try post on here like I am talking to someone face-to-face. Disagreement is fine, but you take it to another level.

I disagree with not only the majority of what you say most of the time on here, but how you say it. Besides that, you have no idea if what you say will come to fruition. None of us do, not yet. Could some of it happen? Sure. But we simply don't know the results yet. Let it play out. I'm still torn on all of this. The worst-case scenarios for both outcomes were/are bad.

Calm down, relax and come back with a level-headed mind if you decide to post here again. This is not the end of the world for UND, athletically, academically or otherwise. Who knows, it could be the best thing that ever happened to UND. Wait and see.

dlsf:

It's really going to be all right. Promise. ;)

Seems you are especially emotional about this because it's essentially a Republican vs Democrat issue (with few exceptions), and we know you have your heart with there. ;)

Believe or it, sometimes the "hick rural" Republicans actually get it right.

Is that you Mac Schneider?

Stay classy buddy. Mac gave his opinion but trust me when I say he respects the opinion of others that don't agree with him. He doesn't need a screen name to give his opinion and he doesn't hold a grudge and take shots at those on the other side. Grow up. Mac gave his time for the nickname and raised points that any athletic alum of UND can't deny.

Stay classy buddy. Mac gave his opinion but trust me when I say he respects the opinion of others that don't agree with him. He doesn't need a screen name to give his opinion and he doesn't hold a grudge and take shots at those on the other side. Grow up. Mac gave his time for the nickname and raised points that any athletic alum of UND can't deny.

Come on now. It was an honest question. I have a problem with the anti-name, anti-nickname bill, whatever you want to call them, arguments regarding the "what ifs" about this situation. It started with the argument that the name is hostile and abusive, and has progressed to this level of how it will hurt the University. To that, I say BS.

And yes, Mac Schneider doesn't hide behind a screen name, he is an elected official. He put his opinion out there on this one, and I believe it will hurt him bigtime in the next election. He is a smart guy, and wagered whether or not to do this, I would assume he is regretting it now.

dlsf:

It's really going to be all right. Promise. ;)

Seems you are especially emotional about this because it's essentially a Republican vs Democrat issue (with few exceptions), and we know you have your heart with there. ;)

Believe or it, sometimes the "hick rural" Republicans actually get it right.

I am so glad this is a Republican vs. Democrat issue. I always thought that Republicans were against the government getting involved where they don't belong. The passage of this bill gives me hope. Now that Republicans are suddenly so interested in government takeovers, I am sure that everyone who was once against the Affordable Health Care Act is now in favor of it. That is great to hear. I am excited that the opinions on this board have changed. Here's to all of you for coming around to my side and supporting big government. Cheers!

KXnet's Backes quote:

With Backes spreading this type of fear, seems he really needs to go. The NCAA already has a policy for a school that doesn't follow a nickname policy.

If the NCAA ever went after UND for more than post-season ban on home playoff games, North Dakota could sue the pants off the NCAA.

The school that really should be getting a death penalty is Ohio State, after this weeks revelations that Coach Tressel not only did not report two of his players were involved with a federal drug trafficking case, but Tressel even hid the information from the Ohio State compliance officer.

Lawyer who warned Tressel about players drug involvement now subject to death threats from Buckeye fans

Tressel gets suspended for two games for conspiring to hide a major violation , while his players get five games for much lesser violations. If the NCAA doesn't come down on Tressel and Ohio State in a major way, they have absolutely no crediblity.

Ohio State has self-reported 375 NCAA violations since 2000. Complete joke.

And yes, Mac Schneider doesn't hide behind a screen name, he is an elected official. He put his opinion out there on this one, and I believe it will hurt him bigtime in the next election. He is a smart guy, and wagered whether or not to do this, I would assume he is regretting it now.

Why would ANYONE, Mac included, regret standing up for what they believe in?

I also don't think this will affect his next election. There are MANY other important issues that his District 42 constituents will probably judge him on when they vote next.

• Upvote 1

I am so glad this is a Republican vs. Democrat issue. I always thought that Republicans were against the government getting involved where they don't belong. The passage of this bill gives me hope. Now that Republicans are suddenly so interested in government takeovers, I am sure that everyone who was once against the Affordable Health Care Act is now in favor of it. That is great to hear. I am excited that the opinions on this board have changed. Here's to all of you for coming around to my side and supporting big government. Cheers!

Since their nose is already where it doesn't belong (education), they may as well weigh in on the administration of such things.

Why would ANYONE, Mac included, regret standing up for what they believe in?

I also don't think this will affect his next election. There are MANY other important issues that his District 42 constituents will probably judge him on when they vote next.

This wont hurt Mac's re-election chances.

I wonder why Ray Holmberg is getting a free pass on this board?