SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Volleyball Season

gfhockey

Link for following volleyball this weekend:

Gametracker at SF Austin

UND should be favored against all three Texas teams it is playing this weekend: Rice, Stephen F Austin, and Sam Houston St.

It's quite possible that UND can now run out the season unbeaten, as on paper, only SDSU, Utah Valley, and possibly USD provide much competition, and UND should be favored against all three, even on their courts.

To maybe answer a question from earlier in the thread: on the herald sportswriters chat one of the reporters said volleyball isn't eligible for NCAA tourney until next year. But that could be wrong.

After UND lost to UC-Santa Barbara 0-3 last weekend, it's probably immaterial. A victory over UCSB was really needed for UND's RPI. It didn't happen.

May have been over optimistic for this weekend too: Sioux behind Rice 2-1.

is there a link on here to volleyball rpi? i couldntfind one

i know everyone talks about und being a top 1000programbut i wanna see #'s

The NCAA hasn't released a 2011 RPI yet. Here's from last year, where UND was 89 out of 328.

2010 Volleyball RPI

Massey has UND at # 78 (NDSU is at #71 and conference opponent Utah Valley is at #72)

Massey Volleyball ratings

UND beat SFA, 3-1.

Could this be UND's highest ever ranking in Massey?

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cvol

UC Santa Barbara is now at #46 - so the Sioux loss to them doesn't hurt too much. UCSB losses have been to top 20 programs.

Northern Arizona is still unbeaten and has moved to #55, so both NC and NAU may be tough next year in the Big Sky.

UND will lose some very valuable seniors after this season, Smed, Trefz, Russell, and Bohannon , but sophomores and freshmen like Munkeby, Ulrich, Parlich, and Husfeldt are really stepping it up.

I think it would be great that if we went into the Big Sky is head and shoulders better than everyone else in the conference. Certainly it would make life a little less stressful. But I will definitely be ok with being in the top echelon starting year one. Because if we are in that area of talent, and skill that means we should have a fair chance at grabbing a title. That's almost more than I could have hoped for coming out of this draining transition for any sport. It is unfortunate that we are losing some tremendous players but I would say that Coach Hardee certainly has gained my faith so far with what he has recruited. The names mentioned above are already becoming big contributors. Look at Husfveldt she is our setter and last year classmate Krueger was all-conference. Now Krueger can hardly get on the floor. It's very encouraging. I can't wait for some huge conference matchups between us and NAU & NC next season. Great job by the ladies so far this season, lets keep it up and get some more rings.

The ladies claimed another victory last night with a 3-1 win over UNO. The ladies are now 11-3 this season with their losses coming against some pretty good teams.

Under coach Hardee, the ladies are 58-14 overall, 23-1 in the Great West and 22-1 at home including a current 11 game win streak!

The ladies take on South Dakota State University on Tuesday in the Betty. Let's get that placed PACKED for these amazing ladies!!!

I'll be there tonight with my family!!!! Also, don't forget it is Youth Night tonight...all kids 8th grade and under get in for free. See details below.

Youth Day

Tuesday, Sept. 27 vs. South Dakota State (7 p.m.)

- Fans 8th grade and under receive FREE admission.

- 100 FREE youth t-shirts to be given away.

- Postgame autograph session with the 2011 Fighting Sioux

volleyball team.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/216830/group/UND%20sports/

UND head coach Ashley Hardee is 23-1 at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center in his three seasons with the Sioux.

South Dakota State first-year coach Phil McDaniel, a longtime friend of Hardee, is responsible for the lone home blemish. McDaniel was head coach at Drake last year when the Bulldogs beat the Sioux in the UND Classic tournament.

On Tuesday, the Sioux didn’t hand McDaniel a sliver of hope in further denting Hardee’s home mark.

UND rarely was challenged in a 25-19, 25-22, 25-19 sweep of the visiting Jackrabbits.

Once again, nice job ladies.

A HUGE congratulations to Devin Trefz who became UND's all-time leader in points scored during the first set last night! She is No. 1 in rally points scored (1,460.5), No. 5 in attack attempts (3,307), and No. 6 in kills (1,208)!

And also congratulations to Annika Smed who passed the 1,000 kill mark last night! She is No. 6 all time at UND in rally points scored (1,256) and attack attempts (3,091), and No. 9 in digs (1,194).

As Coach Hardee said on the Coach's Show last night that Smed is their best player and it's not even close. Typically, you don't set your outside hitters up to recieve a serve and they try bait teams into serving her, and she delivers. 1000-1000 Club very impressive. Congrats to both ladies and let's get after Utah Valley on Saturday. It's a huge match to start the conference campaign.