SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Library

gfhockey

Grand Forks Library  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Are you supporiting the May vote of increasing Grand Forks Sales Tax up 1 percent to 7.75%?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

13 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

20 years ago?  Yes.  But since you brought it up, full color Kindles can be had for $50-$100 depending on size.  I'm guessing that price can be even cheaper in bulk.  I'd be more likely to support a program that puts a new Kindle in the hand of every kid......and even one in the hand of every adult that demonstrates need.  Wi-Fi is everywhere and the internet is full of free books and entertainment options.  Would be exponentially cheaper than building a library.  Shopping....education....etc is all moving away from bricks and mortar but for some reason the small but vocal library proponents insist on a big new physical building.

I’d favor giving Kindles out with a large kindle book option availability.  That might be cheaper than a library.  But again, the internet only offers like 1% of books and periodicals for free, so something has to be done with access.  My extended family share books via a Amazon account.  Not a GF taxpayer, but I still go a couple times a year to my current city’s library, which is located in a downtown.

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how about half of the library's resources go to central and  the other half go to red river? they already have the parking, building, and staff....

They'd say thanks but no thanks. We already have our own libraries. 

There's probably already 15 plus libraries in the Grand Forks area.;)

Just now, Cratter said:

They'd say thanks but no thanks. We already have our own libraries. 

There's probably already 15 plus libraries in Grand Forks.;)

they are the city? close the gf (city) public library and move everything into the two high schools...and drop all the digital crap (golden girls season 1-5 are available at the  gf public library...why?

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they are the city? close the gf (city) public library and move everything into the two high schools...and drop all the digital crap (golden girls season 1-5 are available at the  gf public library...why?

Random strangers being invited in to public high schools will not get very much support right now.

I'm all for the mall library idea if a new library gets built.  Lease the space.  No new building.

This is in the same ball park as public funds for stadiums imo.  Nobody is using libraries for education anymore.  Its a free WiFi location to look at Facebook or get on a computer. Open a downtown computer only "library", and maintain the current libraray.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Goon said:

My question is, how many times do we have to vote this down?

If they can't raise the $ with donations there will be another vote. The people who believe this is a thing government should do will press on.  GF votes on things unlike other cities.

Millions of dollars being spent on unvoted projects being built in downtown Fargo. And when there done spending tax dollars to build a first class downtown. They'll have a downtown the envy of other cities. People who visit Fargo won't say what a waste of tax dollars. They'll say these people care it's beautiful.

I think its just fantastic strategy for G Forks gubernment to keep dumping money into studies and campaigns to spend more money on a library.

I'm just glad they didn't waste any of that money on infrastructure or fixing the potholes.  That crap is almost tourist attraction level iimpressive right now.....

actually council may need to fund a study to see if paying for a another study that looks at studying if a campaign by the cvb could bring people into to drive the minefield of road divots.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4473982-grand-forks-library-action-committee-shares-short-term-long

The library also hired a consulting firm to help rebrand and increase public interest and community engagement.

“A lot of people think the library is just a building of old books,” library board chair Justin Berry said. “If we can start getting the community to understand more about the library, that helps.” 

Aka: The library hired a firm to help ya all understand the importance of libraries and why a new one is needed.

41 minutes ago, Cratter said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4473982-grand-forks-library-action-committee-shares-short-term-long

Aka: The library hired a firm to help ya all understand the importance of libraries and why a new one is needed.

Isn't there a book for that?   No?  

At least theyre admitting there is next to zero public interest.