SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Library

gfhockey

Grand Forks Library  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Are you supporiting the May vote of increasing Grand Forks Sales Tax up 1 percent to 7.75%?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Yes, I know this.....but I have also read countless studies that say the exact opposite of that they are dying....we were actually just debating this in class on Friday night.

Access to the internet needs to be provided for those who can not afford or get it.....Unless Midco started delivering internet to those who can't afford it or the homeless since I left GF that is still an issue. Most job apps now require some form of online app...which you can't do if you can't get on the internet where you live and you can't afford the internet if you don't have a job. It is always an unmet need because there is always going to be a wait time.

Who says access to the internet needs to be provided to people who can't afford it? The internet is a luxury, just like cable TV is. Midcontinent is a business and I don't think they should be handing out cheap internet to people. Come to think of it I believe dial up internet is still around and that costs less then 20 bucks a month, maybe people can afford that but as of right now the library here in town is fully capable of providing access to the internet to people who need it. I am not about to pay more money for something I will probably never use and if you are going to say "well, think about the people who can't afford internet", if they can't afford internet they sure as hell won't be able to afford a tax increase. There is no need to raise taxes to pay for something we already have. The thing that bothers me the most about this topic is the city of Grand Forks will do nothing with the building after it is vacated, it will sit there and cost the city more money..

I would like to read those studies you say that the newspaper industry isn't dying because with every one article that you find that says it isn't dying I will be able to find 10 that say it is. I bet if you go and ask Mike Jacobs(GF Herald Editor) he will tell you the exact same thing. Ad revenue is the main thing that supports a paper and the fact is everything is going away from print and is either going to television or internet. With websites like Craigslist people can advertise for free which takes away a lot of revenue from the classified section in the paper. Why would I want to pay for something when I can get it a lot quicker and for free.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I know this.....but I have also read countless studies that say the exact opposite of that they are dying....we were actually just debating this in class on Friday night.

Access to the internet needs to be provided for those who can not afford or get it.....Unless Midco started delivering internet to those who can't afford it or the homeless since I left GF that is still an issue. Most job apps now require some form of online app...which you can't do if you can't get on the internet where you live and you can't afford the internet if you don't have a job. It is always an unmet need because there is always going to be a wait time.

As someone has already pointed out the current library already has computers. But I'd also bet that Job Service has computers to use to apply for jobs.

And finally I'll say it again. The library board did a survey and reported that 98% of the public had access to the internet. Are you going to tell me that everyone who wants internet doesn't have it?

I also agree that we have no obligation to provide internet to everyone. But if we did, then there are a LOT of more cost effective ways to do so. Why do we need to build a 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 million dollar building just so a few freeloaders can do Facebook?

• 1 month later...

There is no shortage of computers with internet at the GF Public Library. I live close and use the computer there quite often in the past year. Never had to wait once.

There is no serious need for a new library.

As I look to my right at the Library, there is a big sign on the wall that reads : "What Would You Like to see in the New Library? Cast your vote" with 16 blown up pictures of "items."

Cafe?

Gaming Area? (It appears they are playing the Wii)

Aquarium?

Fireplace?

24 hour audio/video media? (it appears to be one of those $1 a nite movie kiosks like at McDonalds and convenience stores)

Edit* I can see the "votes" place stickers on the items you like. The Cafe is winning. It looks like a Starbucks.

I also agree that we have no obligation to provide internet to everyone. But if we did, then there are a LOT of more cost effective ways to do so. Why do we need to build a 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 million dollar building just so a few freeloaders can do Facebook?

Of the four computers I can see and creep on right now only 2 out of four are currently on Facebook (the most popular site on the internet) . :lol:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

anyone see the signs in peoples yards about voting yes for the library? i cant believe that simmons flint created such a crappy sign! you can hardly see the message they are trying to get across! if i were the people who ordered these signs i would be upset because they are nothing more than a medium sized sign that says "hobbit".

Herald:

We need to vote yes to lifelong learning, the three-term mayor said at a press conference at the library. We need to vote yes to a connected community.

Library supporters have said the existing library is cramped and cant adapt to changing trends in library usage, which includes group study space and [computer classrooms. Theres not enough room to run the wiring for more computers or to add new rooms.

I am at the library again. Still plenty of open computers in the computer lab I am in. Classrooms? I thought those were for schools. Are they really the ones upstairs a the current library that much?

That could mean using property taxes to repair an outdated building, he said. Why put a Corvette engine in an old car?

Good question Mike, most people would agree a '99 buick engine would work nice in that car. Not an expensive Corvette one. And you still can reach your destination on time.

Is it the building that is the problem? Is it no longer a sound structure?

I'm not a frequent library go-er, but I used it frequently about five years ago. It's old and drab, but I don't know that that is worth building an entirely new facility...but I'd like more info.

I guess my question is when is the sunset on the Alerus Center sales tax? Wasn't that a 20-year deal? With the excess sales tax collected in many years, they should have been able to pay that off early, unless they are using those funds for some other reason that the voters didn't have a chance to approve. Nevertheless, why can't the City practice the same budgeting that it's citizens do, and wait until they pay off one thing before they take out a loan on another, especially when nothing is going to fall apart in the meantime. If you keep increasing the sales tax before any sunset happens, you run the risk of losing some business from outlying areas.

I guess my question is when is the sunset on the Alerus Center sales tax? Wasn't that a 20-year deal? With the excess sales tax collected in many years, they should have been able to pay that off early, unless they are using those funds for some other reason that the voters didn't have a chance to approve. Nevertheless, why can't the City practice the same budgeting that it's citizens do, and wait until they pay off one thing before they take out a loan on another, especially when nothing is going to fall apart in the meantime. If you keep increasing the sales tax before any sunset happens, you run the risk of losing some business from outlying areas.

They said it would go away when the bonds were paid off. The Alerus gang seems to be spending every nickel that they can to delay that eventuality as long as possible.

Since the subject is the library though, maybe someone hear knows. In 1969 a bond issue was approved using property taxes to pay off the current library. Is it true that when the bonds were paid off the city council spent those mills on other projects meaning that we're still paying the old library tax?

Pretty sure it's a 30 year bond for the Alerus.

They had refinanced at one time. The new bonds are scheduled to be paid off at 2029, but according to figures the Herald Reporter put out the 3/4 percent tax would raise enough money to pay it off by 2019.

Is it the building that is the problem? Is it no longer a sound structure?

I'm not a frequent library go-er, but I used it frequently about five years ago. It's old and drab, but I don't know that that is worth building an entirely new facility...but I'd like more info.

You can get all the information you need and get questions answered by logging on to speakupforyourlibrary.com The information is all factual and is updated daily.

anyone see the signs in peoples yards about voting yes for the library? i cant believe that simmons flint created such a crappy sign! you can hardly see the message they are trying to get across! if i were the people who ordered these signs i would be upset because they are nothing more than a medium sized sign that says "hobbit".

Your obviously don't have a marketing major on your resume. I believe there was a purpose to the sign design and how it ties in to the rest of their radio and newspaper ads. But then again I guess it got your attention didn't it.

Your obviously don't have a marketing major on your resume. I believe there was a purpose to the sign design and how it ties in to the rest of their radio and newspaper ads. But then again I guess it got your attention didn't it.

i actually do have a marketing degree. yes, they did get my attention but as i am driving by them you can't even see what you are voting yes on. you can't even see the vote yes! the best ones are the ones against the library, plain and simple, VOTE NO! you should never mix yellow and white colors together as they don't complement one another. the boards best bet to get people to vote yes on a tax increase (have an idea where it is going to go) is a plain and simple ad campaign, nothing fancy and over the top. i for one will vote against a library and i am pretty sure people of grand forks will vote against it too!

i actually do have a marketing degree. yes, they did get my attention but as i am driving by them you can't even see what you are voting yes on. you can't even see the vote yes! the best ones are the ones against the library, plain and simple, VOTE NO! you should never mix yellow and white colors together as they don't complement one another. the boards best bet to get people to vote yes on a tax increase (have an idea where it is going to go) is a plain and simple ad campaign, nothing fancy and over the top. i for one will vote against a library and i am pretty sure people of grand forks will vote against it too!

Thank you for your input and for proving my point. The signs were designed to create conversation anti and pro I believe, just as you and I are doing now. Sometimes you need to think outside the box to be creative and it's my opinion they did just that while still getting their point across in a unique way.

Thank you for your input and for proving my point. The signs were designed to create conversation anti and pro I believe, just as you and I are doing now. Sometimes you need to think outside the box to be creative and it's my opinion they did just that while still getting their point across in a unique way.

well its your opinion and i can respect that but i feel they really dropped the ball and will not get enough votes for a tax increase.

So the entire point of the campaign is to get the public to support a book by JRR Tolkien and the collected works of Theodore Geisel? Wouldn't that take about a foot of shelf space.

I have two copies of The Hobbit. I could donate one and help save the public 25 million dollars if it would help.

Stupidest sign ever done by a bunch of pointy heads - it makes it hard for normal people to give their support

So the entire point of the campaign is to get the public to support a book by JRR Tolkien and the collected works of Theodore Geisel? Wouldn't that take about a foot of shelf space.

I have two copies of The Hobbit. I could donate one and help save the public 25 million dollars if it would help.

Excuse me did you change your name from (SiouxKid12)or are you part of the blog mafia and are taking over?

its a stupid campaign that is going to end up biting the committee in the a$$. i have yet to hear one of there "awesome radio ads" and i read the paper every morning and i have yet to see an ad about voting on the library. i do see a lot of people writing about it though. i also see that they have a bunch of "hobbit" signs across the street from the library that says "free take one" and there is a bunch of them still sitting there.