SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU to recieve another big donation

gfhockey

According to sources, NDSU will get 5 million from steve scheels owner of scheels sports

Kind of funny but im willing to bet that sioux hockey jerseys are probably ther number one money maker and scheels hasnt done anything for UND and i dont even think they have a board at the REA.

What ever happend to sanford giving UND a bunch of money?

mods. feel free to move this i didnt know where to put it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

According to sources, NDSU will get 5 million from steve scheels owner of scheels sports

Kind of funny but im willing to bet that sioux hockey jerseys are probably ther number one money maker and scheels hasnt done anything for UND and i dont even think they have a board at the REA.

What ever happend to sanford giving UND a bunch of money?

mods. feel free to move this i didnt know where to put it

Shouldn't UND be looking to Altru and Gerrells to be giving them donations? Scheels is a Fargo based company and Sanford has a major presence in Fargo, not Grand Forks.

Shouldn't UND be looking to Altru and Gerrells to be giving them donations? Scheels is a Fargo based company and Sanford has a major presence in Fargo, not Grand Forks.

Sanford has offered a $10,000,000 donation to UND. That has been placed on hold for now by UND.

What was most interesting is that Scheels first gave a donation to a hockey arena: Scheels know what sport effects their bottom line. The Fargo Force - more or less a Sioux hockey feeder team - took priority over the Bison!

It's funny when you walk into Scheels in Fargo: the Bison section is right by the front door, but the Sioux section is just as large further into the store. In Grand Forks, I don't think there even is a Bison section! Would bet that Sioux merchandise is a bigger seller for Scheels than Bison stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What was most interesting is that Scheels first gave a donation to a hockey arena: Scheels know what sport effects their bottom line. The Fargo Force - more or less a Sioux hockey feeder team - took priority over the Bison!

It's funny when you walk into Scheels in Fargo: the Bison section is right by the front door, but the Sioux section is just as large further into the store. In Grand Forks, I don't think there even is a Bison section! Would bet that Sioux merchandise is a bigger seller for Scheels than Bison stuff.

NDSU has been working with Scheels for a donation since before the UP/Scheels Arena was built...They were very close to giving NDSU three times as much a few years ago but the economy went into the tank and put things on hold.

NDSU has been working with Scheels for a donation since before the UP/Scheels Arena was built...They were very close to giving NDSU three times as much a few years ago but the economy went into the tank and put things on hold.

Scheels and NDSU work very closely with promotions throughout the year. I think the Friday pep rally's before football games is a good idea that builds some excitement for the games, especially for kids, and draws a crowd to Scheels. This donation in my mind is long overdue.

Until the summer is over then all the Sioux stuff goes away and the plain ol North Dakota gear comes out and starts collecting dust on the tables.

Yeah, I think the sioux section is right next to the sioux Hall of Fa . . . Oh.

There are no friends when it comes to economic developement. What does Sanford-Fargo want for the 10 mil. Pretty easy to figure that out with them being in the Medical field. UND-Grand Forks is put in a position of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't take the money. All you have to do is look at EERC when they told Bismarck they would not move there operation to Bismarck. They duplicated the one here. What ever Sanford-Fargo wants for this 10 mil. they will get it's just a matter of time. I say F-em keep your money.

Why was a hold placed on that donation? Corporate strings too much? Other conflicting donations?

Frankly, I am not sure what Sanford asked for in return. I know they wish to establish a similar relationship to UND med school that they have with USD med school I am pretty sure they also wish to provide the sports medicine coverage for the Sioux athletic teams. In Fargo they hired the previous team physician and have taken over from Essentia or Innovis or whichever name they prefer. Definitely an upgrade with the combined resources of Sanford/Merit Care and the former Orthopedic Associates. It is one of the five areas of excellence that Sanford wants to focus on. There are opportunites for training, research, and bringing an organization with substantial resources into what could be a very mutually benficial relationship between the largest rural health care provid rin the US and THE University of North Dakota. Sanford has a clinic in EGF. I was told but am not sure that they have shown an interest in Altru. Sanford has resources they are willing to make available to develop a long term relationship with UND. Kelby Krabbenhof told UND alumni in Detroit Lakes this past summer after golfing in the UND Siouxperswing that Sanford wanted to be part of the UND Campaign, the new UND FB practice facility and part of UND atheltic scholarships. Drs. Mann And Greek have done a great job for years and I would guess would be welcome additions to Sanford if interested, but again I don't know for sure what Sanford asked for. These are the partnerships necessary to succeed at the D1 level. The Englestad donations and facility virtually guarantee UND hockey will be financially stable but the other UND sports and the medical school could benefit from this relationship. I was told the donation is still on the table, but Kelly and the Dean of the Med School wanted to wait until after the legislature completes the budget for UND.

Yes, that is way they gave 6 times as much to NDSU than it did to the UP Center, they definitely know who drives their bottom line ;) .

And yes, unfortunately there are many Grand Forks transplants and Sioux fans in the Fargo-Moorhead metro market, so there is a demand for Sioux merchandise in Fargo. And there are also a lot of Grand Forks people that come to Fargo to shop at a major mall. And no, there isn't a demand for Bison merchadise in Grand Forks because there is no reason for someone from the Fargo area or an NDSU grad to move to Grand Forks, or for that matter to shop in Grand Forks.

• Downvote 2

Without those "transplants and Sioux fans" you'd be driving quite a ways from Fargo to find a doctor, lawyer, nurse, half the engineers in the community, and a host of other professionals.

What's so shocking about University of North Dakota graduates living in ... North Dakota. {gasp}

I wish I was in a position to place a 10M offer on hold.

Remember, the U of Minnesota also ended up turning down the Sanford money for their football stadium. I believe that was $30 or $40 million. When Sanford donates money it apparently comes with plenty of strings attached. I don't think that's unusual. Certainly Ralph wanted some things done certain ways so he put up all the money needed to complete the arena he wanted for the hockey program and he also personally managed the project. He really didn't ask for much in return.

I think the Sanford money comes with some requirements that UND is uncomfortable with similar to what Minnesota was. UND and Minnesota see quite a few donation similar to the ones that Scheel's and Sanford are giving so they don't need to sell their soul for the money. NDSU isn't in a position to turn anything down no matter what they're required to do. The Ag College never see's donations like this so they'll bend over and do whatever is required and they'll do it with a smile. I give Minnesota a lot of credit for sticking to their principles and turning the money down and to UND for putting it on hold until certain things can be worked out that will not compromise their principles.

Why was a hold placed on that donation? Corporate strings too much? Other conflicting donations?

NDSU didn't have anything they wanted so they were able to just give the donation. They want something important from UND, not hard to figure out what it is. So they are playing hardball with their money until they get it.

NDSU didn't have anything they wanted so they were able to just give the donation. They want something important from UND, not hard to figure out what it is. So they are playing hardball with their money until they get it.

If we name our medical school for a University of Minnesota graduate, I hope we require more than our friends in Vermillion.

Remember, the U of Minnesota also ended up turning down the Sanford money for their football stadium. I believe that was $30 or $40 million. When Sanford donates money it apparently comes with plenty of strings attached. I don't think that's unusual. Certainly Ralph wanted some things done certain ways so he put up all the money needed to complete the arena he wanted for the hockey program and he also personally managed the project. He really didn't ask for much in return.

I think the Sanford money comes with some requirements that UND is uncomfortable with similar to what Minnesota was. UND and Minnesota see quite a few donation similar to the ones that Scheel's and Sanford are giving so they don't need to sell their soul for the money. NDSU isn't in a position to turn anything down no matter what they're required to do. The Ag College never see's donations like this so they'll bend over and do whatever is required and they'll do it with a smile. I give Minnesota a lot of credit for sticking to their principles and turning the money down and to UND for putting it on hold until certain things can be worked out that will not compromise their principles.

Sanford did end up giving the U of MN some money, I think the hall of fame or something in the stadium is named after him. Also NDSU has gotten bigger donations in the past 10 years, all Sanford wanted was to replace Innovis. Teaming up with NDSU was much more about reaching out to the community than it was wanting anything from the school.

I

Sanford did end up giving the U of MN some money, I think the hall of fame or something in the stadium is named after him. Also NDSU has gotten bigger donations in the past 10 years, all Sanford wanted was to replace Innovis. Teaming up with NDSU was much more about reaching out to the community than it was wanting anything from the school.

I

A parnership of over 25 years that was dropped without any back and forth communication by ndsu. Just a phone call by Gene saying your out.

I'm not going to judge if thats good business or not but you can't brush it off as it was nothing. Its not like ndsu got the money no strings attached. Nice try though.

A parnership of over 25 years that was dropped without any back and forth communication by ndsu. Just a phone call by Gene saying your out.

I'm not going to judge if thats good business or not but you can't brush it off as it was nothing. Its not like ndsu got the money no strings attached. Nice try though.

Innovis wasn't in a position to compete and everyone knew it, no matter what phone calls would have been made. Given I listen to Sioux games on WDAY, I'm surprised changing "partnership"s (if you want to describe exchanging $ for a service is a partnership) matters all that much.

Innovis wasn't in a position to compete and everyone knew it, no matter what phone calls would have been made. Given I listen to Sioux games on WDAY, I'm surprised changing "partnership"s (if you want to describe exchanging $ for a service is a partnership) matters all that much.

A courtesy phone call would still have been a good business practice. It's better than burning bridges. And developing a reputation of not treating business partners well can hurt you later.

As far as UND being on WDAY, I believe it was KFGO and their owners that ended the relationship with UND. That was also with little or no notice. UND joining with WDAY was a reaction since WDAY had been dumped by NDSU. None of these are crimes, but they aren't always the best business practices either.

As a huge Fighting Sioux fan and also a Scheels employee, I can see why, from a marketing standpoint why the donation was given. Since Fargo is our corporate headquarters it is natural that we get involved with the community here in Fargo. These donations are for SPORTS FACILITIES. We are in the business of sports. UND doesn't need new sports facilities, we have everything we need. I also think its weird that people associate UND grads or fans with Grand Forks. I believe it is the University of North Dakota, not the University of Grand Forks. Both towns are different and offer different perks. I think all this Fargo is better crap is irrelevant. I live in Fargo and we do sell more Fighting Sioux gear than we do NDSU. That is not because the name is going away, it is because UND hockey is more nationally known than any other North Dakota team. The Sioux are North Dakota's "professional" team. So it's nothing against UND that Scheels hasn't donated money to them. The fact is UND already has first class sporting facilities. Most of the leadership at Scheels are UND grads so believe me Scheels is not Bison biased.

• Upvote 1

My argument wasn't whether or not Innovis or Sanford is better. I don't know. It was that Sanford wanted more "than to just be involved in the community" and ndsu was going to do whatever it took to get a very sizeable donation. It worked out for both parties. Thats all I was saying.

Yup....you are right.....and UND is just having a fantastic transition to DI! Things couldn't be going better. The FB and BB teams are right on track.........and how about that schedule for the FB team next year. By god that will have the fans on the edge of the seats. I don't know why we at NDSU even bother to field teams.............. :lol::silly::lol::silly: Star has been drinking one hell of a lot of kool-aide lately......... :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8