star2city

If the WAC is down to the following:

San Jose St

Idaho

N Mexico St

Denver

UTSA

Texas St

an ideal scenario would be to get the Dakota and Montana schools, along with one other (Idaho St. maybe). Then get San Jose St. a Hawaii-like setup in the Big West.

That would give you

East

North Dakota

North Dakota State

South Dakota

South Dakota State

Texas State

Texas-San Antonio

West

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

Idaho State

New Mexico State

San Jose State (football only)

Denver (all sport except football)

It would struggle at first, but you have a large number of flagships (admittedly small states, but only BCS conferences would have a similar number of such schools). This new WAC could quickly rebuild into a pretty legit Mid-major conference in short order.

Virtually no likelihood of happening, but it would make a lot of sense and have a ton of good rivalries built in and created.

But Vindy, NDSU is very happy in the Summit!!! It's the best mid-major conference in the whole world (according to them, anyway).

Omaha. Travel partner by plane. The DI moratorium on move-ups will be over later in the year, but any DII school would need a conference invite to move up.

Unless NDSU is reconsidering, which I highly doubt.

You still have to fly through MSP. I don't think this sounds like they are thinking Nebraska Omaha. The "ideal" travel partner for UND must be Minnesota Crookston. ;)

from bisonville.com

"12-14-2004, 01:32 AM

WYOBISONMAN

Bisonville Hall of Fame

Re: Any news out of Salt Lake City?

No 1234.....it is still the best fit. Any other conference is a sloppy second. I suspect the core of the Sky....MSU, Montana, EWU, Weber, ISU supported us. I suspect the major opposition came from the weakest schools.....Portland State and Sac State."

---- AND ----

"12-14-2004, 03:46 PM

WYOBISONMAN

Bisonville Hall of Fame

Re: Any news out of Salt Lake City?

I too will hold out longshot hopes of the Sky. Best of luck to Chapman and Taylor. I also think a huge number of the Montana and Montana State fans are disgusted with this move also. But......in the end.....if the mid-Con comes calling....we have to go with them and work on strengthening the Great West."

WYOBISONMAN, on 13 December 2004 - 06:04 PM, said:

This is not good news. I guess now we have to look at a lesser conference like the Mid-Con. :(

WYO, you sure are the source of some great quotes!

If the offer comes, NDSU may turn it down, but they would have to think hard about an invitation to the Big Sky.

Idaho & San Jose will resist FCS as long as they possibly can, and may even go independent instead of moving to FCS. Wyoming Cowboys would also be a good fit, but they won't make the move to FCS, either - especially since they are not in the WAC.

Does anyone really know what Idaho is planning? You would think they would want to be proactive but they seem to just be sitting there thinking how great they are and that a MWC invite is gonna come their way.

I have some insight on the Idaho situation due to ties there. You can rightly argue that they never should have gone FBS to begin with (Boise State envy, particularly when they are academically superior to BSU), but they are there now and they are hell-bent on staying FBS, with some even calling for the university to give up football before returning to FCS. Also, after a steady diet of teams like Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State, and MWC teams like Colorado State, UNLV and San Diego State coming to the Kibbie Dome, there's no interest in playing teams like Weber State, NAU, Portland State (they would, however, be ok with Montana, MSU and UND probably...but that's about it in the Big Sky).

That said, I think they realize they're in a tough spot and some, including the athletic administration, realize a return to the Big Sky for all sports except football might be their best option. Their facilities are FCS level and so is their game attendance so they will never be attractive to another FBS conference such as the MWC. I think most Idaho fans understand this. So, their options are really to stick it out with the WAC and see if that can survive, or return to the Big Sky at some level. I think they're waiting to see what becomes of the WAC first, and any decision to return to the Big Sky for non-football sports won't happen until they've exhausted that road.

But Vindy, NDSU is very happy in the Summit!!! It's the best mid-major conference in the whole world (according to them, anyway).

Final score this afternoon: Michigan State Spartans 77, Oakland U Golden Grizzlies 76. There are some who feel the image and prestige of the Summit League will continue to grow. SDSU's men's basketball is finally getting back on track and I think both NDSU and SDSU ARE very happy to be in the Summit. In the next few years the Summit will challenge the Missouri Valley in basketball prestige.

Final score this afternoon: Michigan State Spartans 77, Oakland U Golden Grizzlies 76. There are some who feel the image and prestige of the Summit League will continue to grow. SDSU's men's basketball is finally getting back on track and I think both NDSU and SDSU ARE very happy to be in the Summit. In the next few years the Summit will challenge the Missouri Valley in basketball prestige.

:lol: :lol:

Jackrabbit fans have always been delusional as far as Summit basketball.

Actually agree that the Summit appears to be much improved (only doormats are WIU and UMKC after Centenary and SUU leave). Whether that strength lasts is another question. IUPUI, WIU, and UMKC hardly draw flies. To even begin comparison with the MVC, attendance has to come into play. Is there even a Summit school that has drawn more than 6,000? Yeah - tonight: UND vs NDSU. :lol: Oakland vs Michigan St with all the Spartan fans.

I have some insight on the Idaho situation due to ties there. You can rightly argue that they never should have gone FBS to begin with (Boise State envy, particularly when they are academically superior to BSU), but they are there now and they are hell-bent on staying FBS, with some even calling for the university to give up football before returning to FCS. Also, after a steady diet of teams like Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State, and MWC teams like Colorado State, UNLV and San Diego State coming to the Kibbie Dome, there's no interest in playing teams like Weber State, NAU, Portland State (they would, however, be ok with Montana, MSU and UND probably...but that's about it in the Big Sky).

That said, I think they realize they're in a tough spot and some, including the athletic administration, realize a return to the Big Sky for all sports except football might be their best option. Their facilities are FCS level and so is their game attendance so they will never be attractive to another FBS conference such as the MWC. I think most Idaho fans understand this. So, their options are really to stick it out with the WAC and see if that can survive, or return to the Big Sky at some level. I think they're waiting to see what becomes of the WAC first, and any decision to return to the Big Sky for non-football sports won't happen until they've exhausted that road.

Imagine UND's sole athletic facility being the Dakotadome, East Grand Forks being to home to a real Minnesota State with 25,000 students (and NW Minnesota loving that school instead of UND), 600 miles round- trip to Fargo, and most of the rest of ND accessible only through nasty canyon roads with two lanes: that's Idaho's situation with facilities, Washington, Boise, and southern Idaho.

Without some sugar daddies, Idaho's FBS adventure is non-sustainable.

The Asst Comish of the BIg Sky Conference was just on WDAY and he said they weren't too upset that USD didn't accept their invite to the BSC. He said the distance between Vermillion and Grand Forks made them less than ideal travel partners for UND. He said in the next 6 months, they may be looking to add another school. It sounds like they would still like a travel partner for UND. Any ideas on who that would be?

Omaha-Alberts vision

So, UNO to the Summit/MVFC. Actually makes sense... Omaha is a stepping stone to Kansas City & Tulsa from Vermillion, Brookings and Fargo. Good I-29 connection. I still doubt that Omaha is in Fullerton's sights. Even though NDSU & Idaho aren't publicly seeking membership in the Big Sky, they are both better fits than Omaha.

The Asst Comish of the BIg Sky Conference was just on WDAY and he said they weren't too upset that USD didn't accept their invite to the BSC. He said the distance between Vermillion and Grand Forks made them less than ideal travel partners for UND. He said in the next 6 months, they may be looking to add another school. It sounds like they would still like a travel partner for UND. Any ideas on who that would be?

Could Bresciani actually be exploring the idea of moving to the Big Sky? ;)

Chapman's new house could be pillaged and burned by angry bison fans, if that happens. Bresciani tarred and feathered.

But hear me out:

Every week, huge new deals are being announced in western North Dakota. Just in the last few weeks: a billion $ deal with Occidental, a $250 mill gas plan, a $250 mill oil pipeline, a billion deal with Hess, billion from Williams. More huge deals are on the way. Money is pouring into western North Dakota like never before - much of it directly into ND landowners and land agents based in ND. University presidents understand the political necessity of finding and pleasing the money trail. Even some NDSU alumni in the west will be pulling in major $'s - ones that can donate $'s to athletics. Do they want to see NDSU play Youngstown and Illinois State or Montana and NAU near their winter home in Phoenix?

The Big Sky might also be the only long-term way into FBS. NDSU in the Summit and MFVC may have painted itself into a corner.

I'd prefer to see the conference alignment stay the same - but Bresiciani is smart enough to understand the dollars and where they could be flowing.

Chapman's new house could be pillaged and burned by angry bison fans, if that happens. Bresciani tarred and feathered.

But hear me out:

Every week, huge new deals are being announced in western North Dakota. Just in the last few weeks: a billion $ deal with Occidental, a $250 mill gas plan, a $250 mill oil pipeline, a billion deal with Hess, billion from Williams. More huge deals are on the way. Money is pouring into western North Dakota like never before - much of it directly into ND landowners and land agents based in ND. University presidents understand the political necessity of finding and pleasing the money trail. Even some NDSU alumni in the west will be pulling in major $'s - ones that can donate $'s to athletics. Do they want to see NDSU play Youngstown and Illinois State or Montana and NAU near their winter home in Phoenix?

The Big Sky might also be the only long-term way into FBS. NDSU in the Summit and MFVC may have painted itself into a corner.

I'd prefer to see the conference alignment stay the same - but Bresiciani is smart enough to understand the dollars and where they could be flowing.

Do you really think anyone out west really cares which conference UND or NDSU is in? As fans we can travel to almost all our away games something that is very hard for UND fans to do unless they fly.

Big Sky has been a better breeding ground for the FCS, if that is something the Bison are hoping for. On the other hand, in this part of the country, FCS is still the biggest football game in town, so maybe the Bison are content to aim for the MVC as their ultimate goal. If that is the case, a conference home equal to the Big Sky is the highest level the Bison are hoping to achieve, anyway, so why wait, holding their breath and hoping for a MVC invitation somewhere down the road?

Do you really think anyone out west really cares which conference UND or NDSU is in? As fans we can travel to almost all our away games something that is very hard for UND fans to do unless they fly.

Let's face it. At most NDSU road games there usually just a small pocket of fans at the games. Indiana State, Western Illinois, Youngstown St., Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Illinois State.... Definitely won't be many people at any of those games. No. Iowa and SDSU are the only games that many people might drive to and course there might be years where they might not be appealing either. We will have Montana and Montana State. Let's face it neither program has many games where droves of people are going to go to.. That whole issue is way over blown. Having games on television to your alumni and fans is probably the biggest positive. Between Mid Con (FSSN) amd the Big Sky network UND comes out way ahead on that issue.

Let's face it. At most NDSU road games there usually just a small pocket of fans at the games. Indiana State, Western Illinois, Youngstown St., Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Illinois State.... Definitely won't be many people at any of those games. No. Iowa and SDSU are the only games that many people might drive to and course there might be years where they might not be appealing either. We will have Montana and Montana State. Let's face it neither program has many games where droves of people are going to go to.. That whole issue is way over blown. Having games on television to your alumni and fans is probably the biggest positive. Between Mid Con (FSSN) amd the Big Sky network UND comes out way ahead on that issue.

And remember with the exception of MSP, most of the alumni base is west not east. Sioux hockey enjoys a nice crowd while playing in Denver. Sioux football will likely have the same effect in Greeley. A very large alumni base in AZ for the Northern Arizona games. CA, OR and WA all have big alumni numbers. This isn't just about getting the fans from ND and MN to see games in person, the alumni will have access that they never had before with the televised and webcast as well as the live games near them.

Then why is this thread still alive? Fact is most of you are still trying to convince yourselves that the BSC is the place to be.

Then why is this thread still alive? Fact is most of you are still trying to convince yourselves that the BSC is the place to be.

Read the full title of the Topic..... "Conference Realignments Nationwide..........not just Big Sky"

Most of us don't need any convincing. UND wanted the Big Sky and got it.

UND is thrilled to be in the Big Sky. Bison fans in recent years have wet themselves about playing games at Montana and Montana State. They raved about going to Cal Poly and Davis in beautiful California. They talked about Southern Utah and what a beautiful setting it was for football. Even last week they were babblng about playing on the Red Turf. Guess what. UND is going to be doing it every year. If I am not mistaken I sense a little envy from Fargo. Remember the Big Sky is the conference NDSU would of sold the farm to get into (and NDSU knows farmland). Well NDSU had a chance to get into the Big Sky and was rejected, You don't have to worry about UND anymore.

But hear me out:

My gosh ... you are delusional. Do you even believe half the stuff you post? Why would NDSU want to double it travel and budget? Why would NDSU want to leave a stronger BB conference in the Summit to join the Big Sky? Why would NDSU even consider moving out of Valley Football? Football recruiting, if NDSU joined a western FCS conference would tank in our current recruiting areas. Do you understand any of this?

Bison fans are extremely happy with both of these conference affiliations. You can't possibly be serious or have NDSU's best interest in mind at all. I shouldn't be surprised, your post are basically hypothetical darts thrown to see what will stick. You missed, againnnn.

MAC officials visit UMass, invitation may follow

Officials from the Mid America Conference visited the University of Massachusetts Tuesday as the conference determines whether to extend UMass an invitation to join the MAC's football league. A site visit would be an unusual step for a conference that didn't expect to make an invite.

Several UMass sources confirmed that the group examined facilities on campus and at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, where the school would likely play some home games if UMass elects to upgrade from its current Championship Subdivision (FCS) status to the Bowl Subdivision (FBS) which includes the MAC.

My gosh ... you are delusional. Do you even believe half the stuff you post? Why would NDSU want to double it travel and budget? Why would NDSU want to leave a stronger BB conference in the Summit to join the Big Sky? Why would NDSU even consider moving out of Valley Football? Football recruiting, if NDSU joined a western FCS conference would tank in our current recruiting areas. Do you understand any of this?

Bison fans are extremely happy with both of these conference affiliations. You can't possibly be serious or have NDSU's best interest in mind at all. I shouldn't be surprised, your post are basically hypothetical darts thrown to see what will stick. You missed, againnnn.

Clearly you are incapable of understanding economic and geopolitical trends. After all, the world revolves around Fargo. Bresciani understands my point: he's from Texas after all.

Here's a clue:

ndoil.jpg