SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference

GeauxSioux

Surreal is right. At times it felt like this day would never come, but it was well worth the wait. Nice job Faison, Kelley and staffs, and nice job to star2city for predicting this all those years ago!

After USD "left" for the Summit, pretty much had given up hope on UND being an all-sports member. UND and USD's TV capability and academics certainly helped make a difference in the end. USD just being engaged, rather than married to the Summit, helped too.

Will star2 have to actually work during the day now? :lol:

(Thanks for all the conference info)

Work? Who works? ;):lol:

Just curious as to what other schools out there have other sports in other conferences? Is this a common thing for all schools or just us?

EDIT: Being that all conferences do not contain all sports that is.

UND will be sponsoring 21 sports with men's tennis (indoor and outdoor T&F are counted separately), which is a lot compared to may schools.

Most of the Big Sky schools don't have many sports beyond the Big Sky required sports. A number have softball, but here are the others:

Portland State used to have wrestling, but seems they dropped it.

NAU has women's swimming (not men's) - and are in the WAC for that. (NAU had men's hockey back in the 80's)

Montana State has M/W skiing

Southern Utah has women's gymnastics (in the WAC) and need to find a home for baseball

No Colo has baseball (Great West), women's swimming (Mountain-Pacific), men's golf (?), wrestling (Western Wrestling)

Sac State has a lot of sports outside of the Big Sky:

Baseball - in the WAC

Gymnastics - in the WAC

Women's rowing - in Pacific Coast rowing

Men's soccer - in Mountan Pacific Federation

Men's golf - independent?

UND has a full 2011 football schedule. UND will add men's tennis. The Big Sky will add women's softball. The UND baseball (Great West), golf (Pan American), and M/W swimming (CUSA) teams will stay where they are...

I may have missed something, but how do we know that we have a full 2011 football schedule? And who are the four opponents not listed on the schedule?

UND will be sponsoring 21 sports with men's tennis (indoor and outdoor T&F are counted separately), which is a lot compared to may schools.

Most of the Big Sky schools don't have many sports beyond the Big Sky required sports. A number have softball, but here are the others:

Portland State used to have wrestling, but seems they dropped it.

NAU has women's swimming (not men's) - and are in the WAC for that. (NAU had men's hockey back in the 80's)

Montana State has M/W skiing

Southern Utah has women's gymnastics (in the WAC) and need to find a home for baseball

No Colo has baseball (Great West), women's swimming (Mountain-Pacific), men's golf (?), wrestling (Western Wrestling)

Sac State has a lot of sports outside of the Big Sky:

Baseball - in the WAC

Gymnastics - in the WAC

Women's rowing - in Pacific Coast rowing

Men's soccer - in Mountan Pacific Federation

Men's golf - independent?

Thanks!

I may have missed something, but how do we know that we have a full 2011 football schedule? And who are the four opponents not listed on the schedule?

I believe that SiouxMD was reporting on what was said in the press conference. So that would probably be Athletic Director Brian Faison saying that UND has a full 2011 football schedule.

I believe that SiouxMD was reporting on what was said in the press conference. So that would probably be Athletic Director Brian Faison saying that UND has a full 2011 football schedule.

Correct. No mention of specific teams only that the 2011 schedule is complete.

New GF Herald story says that the buy in is $250,000. Golf currently belongs to the America Sky Conference and will stay there. Faison is quoted as saying that they plan to keep all current sports and that adding men's tennis will only cause some minor adjustments to correct any Title IX issues.

I don't see the part about the $250k buy in...............am I blind?

Here's a link to Montana State's beat writer's blog: LINK

He's posted audio interviews with Faison, a USD beat writer, USD's A.D., SUU's A.D., MSU's A.D., and MSU's football coach Rob Ash..................................

Sayler (USD A.D.) wouldn't say "on the record" that USD is joining, but are working hard toward that goal and the reason for the delay is getting South Dakota's Board of Regents together to approve the move. Sounds like a formality. He also said that the exit fees from the Summit are not holding up the process and that the amount of the exit fee being reported at various outlets is "greatly exaggerated".

MSU's A.D. appears excited about the expansion..................the Big Sky sponsoring softball was news to him. He also said he felt that a reason that the conference was open to Dakota expansion now when they weren't 5 years ago possibly had something to do with the fact that most of the Big Sky schools had new leadership at the presidential level than they did at that time.

MSU's football coach liked the way things were set up before, is not excited about divisional play, longer road trips, fewer home games, and going away from a round-robin schedule.

I don't see the part about the $250k buy in...............am I blind?

Any idea when UND will be eligible to recieve NCAA tournament money. I believe the year that NDSU went to the NCAA's they didn't recieve NCAA money from the Summit League...just curious what sort of arrangement the Big Sky has set up for the new members.

Any idea when UND will be eligible to recieve NCAA tournament money. I believe the year that NDSU went to the NCAA's they didn't recieve NCAA money from the Summit League...just curious what sort of arrangement the Big Sky has set up for the new members.

according to this (which is a really good post and a must read)

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46630&sid=711126abeab87d39eeb89930bdc31198

immeidate sharing. 250000 buy in plus 50000 to 60000 buy in to the conference equity

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Scholarships are the biggie for Title IX, since we already have more women's sports. Here's one solution. Start tennis and only fund 3 of the 4.5 allowed scholarship equivalencies. Then start both men's and women's lacrosse letting the women have the full 12 allowed and funding 9 of 12.6 allowed for the men.