SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference

GeauxSioux

It is Fullerton who spoke to soon.....

Agreed. That's why I found it so strange they had it on the Big Sky website and everything stating that usd was coming. Makes me think the comment about no defections means the Montanas will be jumping after all...

Who cares about USD? All their leadership has proven is that they have zero integrity, much like the leadership of NDSU and SDSU. I hope they enjoy the Summit League playing against other garbage schools like IUPUI and IPFW. They are their peers after all. I'm still ecstatic we are in the Big Sky. Screw USD, screw the Summit, and screw the MVFC.

• Upvote 1

The one thing that could have been done was to keep everything quiet until all three schools (SUU, UND and USD) were on board and all the contracts were signed. Leaks and unofficial announcements have no long term value and created the opportunity for the MVFC to swoop in at the last minute.

That said, I think the idea that going to the Summit automatically meant football independence is also overstated. Football only was done for Davis and Poly, how hard did UND actually push for that. Were football only options like the Southland or Big South even explored?

Finally, snubbing the Summit was just plain foolish. What was gained by the thinly veiled comments at Tom Douple? I think it's a little ironic that people have talked about the DI move being a marathon and not a sprint, but then throwing that right out the window with this Big Sky invite.

Sure hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of this comes down to ego and hubris, and unfortunately that's a problem that has hurt UND for a while and apparently continues to do so.

USD was going to make a last attempt at the Summit/MVFC combo whether anyone announced any of the moves to the Big Sky or not. Obviously the South Dakota Board fo Regents wanted to keep USD and SDSU together if at all possible. UND keeping quiet or making the announcement had no effect on the situation.

The Big Sky said that they didn't want to add any more football-only schools. Davis and Cal Poly were the exceptions to the rule. Football-only in the Southland or Big South would have been very difficult if they were even possible. The Big Sky was the 3rd best of the possible options, Summit/MVFC or Summit/Big Sky football would have possibly been better options, but neither one had a chance of happening. The Big Sky without USD is slightly less desireable. The Big Sky without Montana or even Montana State is even less desireable, but even under those conditions the Big Sky is still a good conference and the best available option at this time.

Who cares about USD? All their leadership has proven is that they have zero integrity, much like the leadership of NDSU and SDSU. I hope they enjoy the Summit League playing against other garbage schools like IUPUI and IPFW. They are their peers after all. I'm still ecstatic we are in the Big Sky. Screw USD, screw the Summit, and screw the MVFC.

Yeah, screw everyone and never take any accountability on ourselves that we have put ourself in this situation. BAM!!! That was the 2X4 across the head. When are we going to wake up? Like I tell my business partners, some problems are you problems and YOU need to figure them out. Thus, UND needs to changes things and it isn't always someone elses fault.

Peace all and Go Sioux!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's pretty clear that Fullerton did not want just UND. And I don't think it's too much of a leap to think that he sold UND and USD to the Presidents as a package deal. I wonder how the rest of the Big Sky is going to feel about UND now?

Do you think that they'll decide to dump UND? UND is a quality school that will add to the conference. The reasons that the Big Sky decided to add schools are still valid. The Big Sky doesn't have a lot of better options in the western part of the country. The Big Sky is going to be plenty upset with USD. Some may not be happy about traveling all the way to Grand Forks. But none of them will blame UND for this situation.

Yeah, screw everyone and never take any accountability on ourselves that we have put ourself in this situation.

You're referring to the situation that currently has provided us with a conference home in one of the most recognizable FCS leagues and allows access to NCAA postseason events for virtually all of our sports, specifically football.

Just checking. ;)

Yeah, screw everyone and never take any accountability on ourselves that we have put ourself in this situation. BAM!!! That was the 2X4 across the head. When are we going to wake up? Like I tell my business partners, some problems are you problems and YOU need to figure them out. Thus, UND needs to changes things and it isn't always someone elses fault.

Peace all and Go Sioux!!!

Honestly, you haven't made a valid argument in this entire thread. The MVFC didn't act until it's hand was forced by us joining the Big Sky. Delaying our decision only would have delayed the inevitable by a week or so. Please explain to me who in our administration should be held accountable in this? Our AD and president took USD's AD and President at their word and USD betrayed UND and the Big Sky to go sniff SDSU's ass for the foreseeable future. How does that reflect poorly on our university?

As for your comment about the indoor training facility it's set to break ground this spring. The dollars are in place and it will probably be completed before the BSA. Get a hold of yourself.

It is Fullerton who spoke to soon.....

... Undoubtedly based on an unequivocal verbal acceptance from USD. Not to throw stones here, but as was pointed out very early in this thread, conferences don't publicly announce offers unless they've been accepted. It may have been wise to wait until the legal documents were signed but clearly Fullerton was given every assurance USD was on board before he spoke.

Honestly, I don't understand the Chicken Little angst of some posters here. UND gains admission to one of the premiere, all-sports conferences in the country and all it takes is the defection of a possible travel partner and suddenly the Sky is falling. Perhaps it would have been more "strategic" to accept an offer from the Summit (I know I was anxious to see IUPUI) and simply hope for a football invite down the line. Someone -- maybe our friends from NDSU -- surely would have gone to bat for us with the MVFC.

Good for you......you are in a league and very happy I can see. It surely must be NDSU and SDSUs fault that USD bailed from the Sky..... :silly: You better have some more kool-aid.

Good for you......you are in a league and very happy I can see. It surely must be NDSU and SDSUs fault that USD bailed from the Sky..... :silly: You better have some more kool-aid.

I don't think this is NDSU or SDSU's fault at all. Your administration has lacked integrity for as long as I can remember and it's apparent that USD's new leadership has no credibility either. I think the conferences worked out just as they should have, UND will be with peers like UC-Davis and Montana and NDSU is with peer institutions like IUPUI, IPFW, and (hopefully soon) Chicago State.

Kinda like how he didn't meddle in the nickname situation? :silly:

DISCLAIMER: I in no way think Taylor or NDSU have been attempting to fork UND with this whole Big Sky/Summit/USD/MVFC thing.

You honestly think Gene had a roll in that? I would doubt that. NDSU had nothing to gain from such actions and again, if discovered, could cost Gene his job. I think it is just crazy to believe NDSU had anything to do with that.

I don't think this is NDSU or SDSU's fault at all. Your administration has lacked integrity for as long as I can remember and it's apparent that USD's new leadership has no credibility either. I think the conferences worked out just as they should have, UND will be with peers like UC-Davis and Montana and NDSU is with peer institutions like IUPUI, IPFW, and (hopefully soon) Chicago State.

Remember, UC Davis is football only and there is still the very real possibility that Montana may be FBS bound. Which schools are our peers again?

If USD defects back to the Summit/MVFC does anyone else think it would be wise for Brian Faison, Trev Alberts, and Doug Fullerton to get together in Omaha November 19 and 20? Trev can bust out his plans for a new hockey and basketball(?) arena and Brian and Doug can casually talk about how great of a conference Big Sky is and how they would love UNO in the conference, all while enjoying a well played hockey game.

UNO wouldn't by the flagship university that the presidents in the Big Sky wanted, but it does add what I think is a much better market and a rapidly advancing athletic department. (UNO could distinguish themselves in the Omaha market with the western focus of the Big Sky, whereas Creighton and UNL have more of an eastern focus with the MVC and Big 10 respectively).

You have every right to feel that way. I am very disappointed in tonights developments. I really think USD burned alot of bridges in this whole thing. FIrst of all they dissed the Summit, than they turn around and diss the big sky plus lost alot of repect and trust from multi conferences and multi schools. I am in the USD minority and will get chastized about my opinions on the Yote board.

You have every right to feel that way. I am very disappointed in tonights developments. I really think USD burned alot of bridges in this whole thing. FIrst of all they dissed the Summit, than they turn around and diss the big sky plus lost alot of repect and trust from multi conferences and multi schools. I am in the USD minority and will get chastized about my opinions on the Yote board.

I don’t recall hearing or reading about anyone from USD dissing the Big Sky.

Here is a summary of details I have put together from several sources. I have posted essentially the same summary on Bisonville and on USD’s message board.

By Monday, USD joining the Big Sky was essentially a done deal. USD was planning a press conference for Thursday or Friday of this week. Big Sky Commissioner Fullerton had earlier told the press everything was in place and the paperwork was ready to be signed by USD.

There were still a couple of nagging issues. One was whether Montana and Montana State would stay in the Big Sky. That seemed to be put to bed last week when Big Sky Commissioner Fullerton told everyone that Montana and Montana State were staying. Turns out that was an overstatement. Fullerton was interviewed early this week and he said his statements were more "hopeful" than factual. Read for yourself the Argus Leader interview with Fullerton: http://m.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101103/SPORTS0203/11030303/1002/SPORTS&template=wapart

By Tuesday, the MVFC coaches went to bat for inclusion of USD...the MVFC athletic directors joined in. What was the motivating factor? I don’t know for a fact but the influence of the MVFC schools that also played in the Summit League must have played some role and perhaps the chance to pick up a school that “fit” just couldn’t be passed (protection against future defections – there are some who like to speculate that Youngstown State won’t be in the MVFC forever, that YSU would prefer to play with a conference more situated in its region).

By Wednesday, the MVFC Presidents concurred with the coaches and Ads and the offer was made to USD to join the MVFC starting with the 2012 season. I’m told that also on Wednesday, USD administrators talked with Montana administrators and learned that Montana had not committed to staying in the Big Sky – so that uncertainty remained.

Other issues were obvious: it seemed indisputable that expenses and costs will be higher in the Big Sky than in the Summit / MVFC combination. Playing in three different timezones is not as desirable as playing most contests in the same timezone.

All things considered, the MVFC invite made the decision easy – just like the Big Sky was an easy decision if there was no MVFC invite. Late in the afternoon on Wednesday, USD accepted the MVFC offer.

It appears the story leaked but couldn't be confirmed through official sources at USD. I don't know how KSFY-TV confirmed but they announced it as the lead story at 10:00 PM. The Yankton Press & Dakotan newspaper was all over the story with one very credible source but they wanted a second source for confirmation. The Argus Leader also had the story but couldn’t get the confirmation it wanted.

The formal announcement is expected Thursday from USD in Vermillion.

Jack JD,

You say that it was an easy decision for USD to take the MVFC/Summit option but when SDSU was an independant they seemed to favor the Big Sky option over the Mid Continent if I remember. The Midcon was a consolation prize. USD had a choice to make so they weren't just forced into one thing.