SiouxSports.com Forum

The Homecoming announcement

gfhockey

Perhaps Kelley's State of University address contains some clues:

A new gathering place or places are in the works?

3. A third priority that you told us was important to making this university truly exceptional was encouraging gathering.

The bonfire is a gathering place. Ignite the Spirit

5. And finally, a fifth vision element involves expanding UND

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible projects that I've heard of:

College of Business *

Athletics Complex *

Union Addition *

Allied Health Sciences building

Law School expansion

Fine Arts expansion

Second parking ramp

* see renderings on this site

I sure hope it's not a second parking ramp! They can't even pay for the first one...

I sure hope it's not a second parking ramp! They can't even pay for the first one...

If football moved back to Memorial Stadium then I can see a second parking ramp since the first one would be overflowing with cars. Or else do people use that ramp? I remember school at Central the parking ramp across the street was never used except to smoke in. :lol:

Here's something I've heard about this, not sure if it's true or if this is just a rumor. My source claims to have heard it from a sub-contractor involved in building the new football stadium.

So my sources says that the announcement is about a very large donation from a former UND football player that apparently played some Canadian football and owned several gold and diamond mines. He apparently sold his mining company and is donating money to UND. Again this is a bit of scuttlebutt but you never know, it might be true. I suppose we'll all know after tomorrow afternoon.

Here's something I've heard about this, not sure if it's true or if this is just a rumor. My source claims to have heard it from a sub-contractor involved in building the new football stadium.

So my sources says that the announcement is about a very large donation from a former UND football player that apparently played some Canadian football and owned several gold and diamond mines. He apparently sold his mining company and is donating money to UND. Again this is a bit of scuttlebutt but you never know, it might be true. I suppose we'll all know after tomorrow afternoon.

There has been speculation about that donation for at least a couple of years. He is the most obvious person that could make a huge donation (unless the Engelstad Foundation made another huge donation). It will be interesting to see it that is what is actually happening.

A bit of background:

2007: Newmont Mining buys Miramar Gold for $1.3 Billion

Miramar and Hope Bay Gold had earlier merged. The former CEO of Hope Bay Gold was David A. Fennell, former CFL football star and Alberta law school grad and founder of several gold and precious metals companies, who also happened to play football at UND.

David A. Fennell, LLB, served as the Chief Executive Officer of Hope Bay Gold Corporation (Formerly, Cambiex Explorations Ltd.) from January 1999 to May 2002 and also served as its President and Chairman of the Board. Mr. Fennell served as the Chief Executive Officer and the President of Golden Star Resources Ltd., a mining company located in Denver, Colorado since May 1996. Mr. Fennell founded Golden Star Resources in 1983 and Ariane Gold. He has been the Chairman of the Board of Bear Lake Gold Ltd., since September 11, 2008 and Queensland Minerals, Ltd. since April 14, 2004. He has been the Executive Chairman of Odyssey Resources Ltd., since September 2008 and Reunion Gold Corporation since September 2010. He previously served as the Chairman of Reunion Gold Corp. (formerly, New Sleeper Gold Corp.) until September 2010. Mr. Fennell served as the Chairman of Upland Resources Corp. and Ariane Gold Corp. He served as the Chairman of NFX Gold Inc., since September 2008, Maximus Ventures Ltd. from 2004 to 2008 and Hope Bay from January 1999 to May 2002. He served as Executive Vice Chairman of the Board of Miramar Mining Corporation since June 28, 2002 until 2008. He has been an Executive Director of Odyssey Resources Ltd., since September 2008. He has been a Director of Reunion Gold Corporation since March 2004; Sabina Gold & Silver Corp. (formerly, Sabina Silver Corp.) since June 2009, Major Drilling Group International Inc., since 1998, New Sleeper Gold Corp. since September 15, 2008 and Sutter Gold Mining Inc. since June 9, 2009. Mr. Fennell serves on the board of Major Drilling, Miniere du Nord and several other companies. He has been Director of Torex Gold Resources Inc. since November 26, 2009. He has been a Member of Advisory Board of Capstone Mining Corp. (Sherwood Copper Corp.) since April 2006. He served as an Independent Director of Palmarejo Silver and Gold Corporation (Palmarejo Gold Corp.) since January 2005 until December 2007. He served as a Director of MDN Inc. (Northern Mining Explorations Ltd.) from 2001 to April 2007, Maximus Ventures Ltd. from 2004 to 2008 and NFX Gold Inc., since September 2008. He served as a Director of Miramar Mining Corporation since June 28, 2002 until 2008. He served as a Director of Golden Star Resources Ltd; Sutton Resources Limited, and Hope Bay Gold Corporation Inc. Mr. Fennell holds Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from the University of Alberta Law School.

BA UND 1974

From Mineweb on 2007 Newmont Purchase of Miramar

After nearly a decade of hard work and setbacks in the Canadian Arctic, including the last frontier of Nunavut and the town of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories, North Vancouver-based junior gold miner Miramar Mining's ship finally came sailing in Tuesday as mega-gold miner Newmont announced it would acquire 100% of Miramar in a $1.5 billion transaction. ...

Miramar Executive Vice Chairman David Fennell became a familiar sight at numerous mining and exploration conferences a decade ago as he diligently and faithfully extolled the potential of Hope Bay. Former Golden Star President and CEO Fennell had left Golden Star in 1998 to become Chairman and CEO of a little exploration company called Cambriex Explorations, which would then evolve into the Hope Bay Gold Corporation. He then watched Hope Bay merge with Miramar. Now Miramar is destined to merge with the top U.S. gold miner and the world's second largest gold mining company. ...

Somewhere, maybe sitting in one of his tropical island homes, Dave Fennell must be smiling, and perhaps recalling the skepticism of this reporter concerning his claims of Hope Bay's potential years ago. With Newmont's proposed $1.5 billion all-cash offer Tuesday, Fennell's exploration company has just realized every small prospector's dream.