SiouxSports.com Forum

The Homecoming announcement

gfhockey

I'm going to go out on a limb here and be an Internet Board PSYCHIC! :silly:

The title of this campaign is more than just a name...I think it's a bridge to the future by the Alumni Association - let me explain...

--This is the largest capital campaign in UND History - undertaken before but also occuring during a major identity shift for UND - the changing of the Sioux nickname.

--By and large, and despite the nickname change, it has been HUGELY successful - so much so there will be MUCH to celebrate during homecoming week - again UND ALUMS are extremely generous!

--"IGNITE THE SPIRIT!" A great name - except UND has always had a great history of alum donations UNLESS there was some new reason to "Ignite" the spirit while a beloved nickname was being retired? It doesn't make sense...UNLESS! :D

The Alumni Association is trying to head off bad nickname feelings at the pass by sparking a new start with the largest infusion of donor capital in school history....IGNITE (spark) the SPIRIT!

ie...the new nickname that will be promoted out of all this will be...The NORTH DAKOTA SPIRIT!!!

(I said it first! It's like the Miami Heat and I HATE IT but it just seems to me like where this all is going....)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go out on a limb here and be an Internet Board PSYCHIC! :silly:

The title of this campaign is more than just a name...I think it's a bridge to the future by the Alumni Association - let me explain...

--This is the largest capital campaign in UND History - undertaken before but also occuring during a major identity shift for UND - the changing of the Sioux nickname.

--By and large, and despite the nickname change, it has been HUGELY successful - so much so there will be MUCH to celebrate during homecoming week - again UND ALUMS are extremely generous!

--"IGNITE THE SPIRIT!" A great name - except UND has always had a great history of alum donations UNLESS there was some new reason to "Ignite" the spirit while a beloved nickname was being retired? It doesn't make sense...UNLESS! :D

The Alumni Association is trying to head off bad nickname feelings at the pass by sparking a new start with the largest infusion of donor capital in school history....IGNITE (spark) the SPIRIT!

ie...the new nickname that will be promoted out of all this will be...The NORTH DAKOTA SPIRIT!!!

(I said it first! It's like the Miami Heat and I HATE IT but it just seems to me like where this all is going....)

While no doubt that would be the most pathetic nickname in the history of mankind, when you get a bunch of egghead university types in a room, that is exactly the type of nickname I expect they will come up with.

But there is no chance they announce a nickname at Homecoming 2010. They have a "process" and university administrators love a good "process" and getting all the "constituencies" around a table for an inclusive and collaberative experience. No way they shoot from the hip and immediately and unilaterally just pick a nickname.

While no doubt that would be the most pathetic nickname in the history of mankind, when you get a bunch of egghead university types in a room, that is exactly the type of nickname I expect they will come up with.

But there is no chance they announce a nickname at Homecoming 2010. They have a "process" and university administrators love a good "process" and getting all the "constituencies" around a table for an inclusive and collaberative experience. No way they shoot from the hip and immediately and unilaterally just pick a nickname.

So which route would they go if we were the Spirits?? Ghosts or Spirit Lake? Could UND go the Fighting Spirits and link it with the SL tribe? I thought maybe the word "ignite" would do with the flame its in the other UND logo and why not call the school the UND Flames. Like the Calgary Flames (except that nickname referred to the torching in Atlanta during the civil war when they were the Atlanta Flames).

But this is exactly why I keep saying that the moniker must be replaced immediately.

If not, you'll get pablum like this sometime in 2014.

But this is exactly why I keep saying that the moniker must be replaced immediately.

If not, you'll get pablum like this sometime in 2014.

I get it, control what is your to control. ;)

Instead of the " we'll just be North Dakota" or let's wait a couple of years and see what name stick. Get out in front of this issue.

Peter Johnson has publicly said that this announcement will be major, and is one of, if not the most significant announcement to come out of UND in the 22 years that he has worked at UND. That includes Ralph Engelstad's announcement.

So, one would believe that it is greater than 100 million dollars. Perhaps the 300 million dollar rumor is accurate...

Exactly. I mean you don't know what actually goes on in Kelley's and Faison's head. Especially when the REA said NO to taking down any logos.

Here's some water and aspirin. Try and sober up.

Its pretty obvious what part of the announcement is: UND has a "master facilities plan." They want to do this this and this (football practice facility, on campus stadium, some other buildings-maybe non athletic, business school remodel?). It will cost this much money ($300 Million?). They have so much already ($150 million?) and need to "ignite the spirit" to finish the fundraising, but they have enough already and will proceed with certain projects very soon (football practice facility).

It will not have anything to do with another hockey building or anything to do with the Sioux nickname I can guarantee you that.

Here's some water and aspirin. Try and sober up.

Its pretty obvious what part of the announcement is: UND has a "master facilities plan." They want to do this this and this (football practice facility, on campus stadium, some other buildings-maybe non athletic, business school remodel?). It will cost this much money ($300 Million?). They have so much already ($150 million?) and need to "ignite the spirit" to finish the fundraising, but they have enough already and will proceed with certain projects very soon (football practice facility).

It will not have anything to do with another hockey building or anything to do with the Sioux nickname I can guarantee you that.

Well as long as you guarantee it Joe Namath then I feel a lot better.

OK OK. But we can speculate about the Athletic part right? or is that against forum rules? I just hope all this hype is not overblown!

There is a chance that some on this board may see it as overblown if it doesn't include a major athletic component. The College of Arts and Sciences has a long term plan for a new Arts complex that would keep Hughes for visual arts and add wings for music and theater. Maybe that's part of it. I believe that there is a long term plan for a major addition to Gamble for the College of Business. The original rumor mentioned naming rights to the College of Business, maybe that's part of it. Sanford Health has already said they plan a sizable donation. It will probably be similar in size to what they are giving NDSU for the Bison Sports Arena renovation, but we don't know where it would go at UND. It could be part of the indoor practice facility project, or could go to the School of Medicine. That isn't Ralph like, but maybe it is part of a bigger picture. It could be one large gift that they plan to announce, or maybe they plan to announce a series of sizable gifts that add up to something really significant. It will be interesting to finally hear on Friday.